Why do some people deny the true purpose and target audience of a woman wearing makeup?

It should be self evident that makeup is to gain attention, favorable opinion, and attraction from men. Almost every aspect of makeup is, by design, for increasing sexual appeal and attraction. The color red for example, is commonly used to color a woman’s lips and it is well-known that during sexual arousal, red in the face can be an indicator of that. The contouring of the face is another example of creating a more pleasant, more feminine, and overall more alluring image to attract the opposite sex. Some women will say that they were makeup for other women and for their own self-esteem/confidence but even that isn’t entirely true. The more attention and favorable appeal a woman has due to makeup, the more confident she feels and acts. It’s obvious. The more of this a woman has, the high chance she has of outdoing other women. It’s a competition, in a large way.

2|3

Most Helpful Girls

• I agree with you PLM. Everyone says “Oh I wear it for myself”. If you do it for yourself, you’d wear it while home alone in sweats, while sleeping, and pretty much every moment every day. I personally wear it (concealer and mascara. Foundation feels too heavy and gross) to feel and be more attractive. There’s no shame in that— it’s why we keep our hygiene good, our hair in a specific style, wear clean clothes, wear perfume/cologne (because both sexes have been proven to be attracted to certain smells), and hate when we have a pimple. Biologically, we’re made to try and attract a mate, however we can.

4|4
    0|2
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • As someone who is only just "getting into" makeup, I disagree. Attracting men with it is literally my last thought. After watching 20+ makeup tutorials on YouTube, I'm mostly fascinated by the art of it all. Also I want to practice my skills before I have to be a bridesmaid in a couple months. Want to look picture ready!

But yeah, whenever I think of wearing makeup out and about, I picture being confident in myself and getting complimented by girls (who understand the work that goes into a good makeup look). Guys are an afterthought.

5|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• The Asker has got this whole thing back to front!
    The Asker proceeded to TELL women why they wear make -up - he did not ask!!
    How about NOT assuming anything, and just let them answer why they wear make-up.

4|1
    0|0
    • The asker gave his own insight and wanted to this question and also wanted to hear what others wanted to say. The asker can do both and has done both.

• Show All
    • Well, that’s your interpretation and you’re entitled to it. But saying I plagiarized from Jordan Peterson is wrong in every way.

• @Policelivesmatter , Actually, @Armourdillo is bang on the money saying that you're plagiarising- copying someone's work and not crediting is literally what plagiarism is...
      Even when you've been called out, you haven't referenced it- learn to use your own brain instead of stealing things.
      Even if you don't use something in it's entirety, you reference it, there should be no more than 15% matching text.

• these females be lying
    it may not be gender specific but they obviously do it so people can be like ''wow she is so pretty'' or maybe so she won't pale in comparison to other people. It's always about looking attractive to other people. Not for themselves. By what they're saying, it's as if there's literally no other people on Earth, I figure that they'll probably dress up and go outside to look good for ''themselves'' if that's what they're claiming lol. There's always a target audience that doesn't refer to them, and when it does refer to them, it's triggered by the same target audience that they're trying to attract..
    Or maybe... Maybe... they're telling the truth and are simply doing it for themselves like someone casually going to get their ears pierced, nose piercing or belly piercing or tattoos, or hair styling/cut.. Hmmm..

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 45

• What. No. EVEN IF the original purpose of makeup brands was to do that bs about attracting and shit,
    The reason why it's so denied by women is because it's not true for everyone!!

Sure, I'll go on a date, wear a little mascara and lipstick to appeal more, physically.

"But bitch I won't wear a red and gold eyeshadow because Josh likes red and gold. I'll wear it because it looks good on me"

😂 Why is it so hard to accept that some women are just doing stuff for themselves

3|2
    0|0
    • Go a little further than that though. WHY does that red and gold eyeshadow appeal to you? Why do you care whether or not it looks good on you? The answer to both is because you want to appear more beautiful and more desirable, for men mainly if you’re heterosexual

• now days i think this applies to many guys too, often the guys are beating the women for the amount of "product" they are wearing, have you seen a single guys collection of "beauty" products now days hehe, it makes you jealous lol

• Bitch no, i wear that red and gold because it works well with my outfit and I look good. I know it looks good, im pleasing myself when i look in the mirror.

It increases MY self esteem. And if josh says he thinks it's pretty, I'll just say "i know, thanks"

• Everybody that does anything to their appearance does it for attention. Even guys when they style their hair a certain way or wear certain clothing. Yes of course we will be more confident if we get positive attention from it. But it's not a lie that we also like the way we look and feel wearing it. Some people want to think that seeking attention is a bad thing. But we all seek it in different ways.

1|2
    1|0
    • Show All
    • You’re right, people publically express denial because they believe it to be a bad thing to admit to, even though it’s a natural intrinsic human trait. If people delve a bit deeper into their own self awareness they’ll realise the true driving factor behind it and see it for what it is.

• Great description

• Because being politically correct is trending.

I get triple times more male attention for wearing make-up since guys actually really like it. It brings out the features of our face men naturally find extremely attractive in women.

1.) Contouring / Foundation

Smooths out and highlights our smaller bone structure, with the depth of the brow line and width of the jaw being the first visual cues to a feminine face.

Lol a man has to determine she's truly a woman to begin with, which is why men are suspicious of masculine features on a girl.

Also why drag queens do heavy contouring to cover their stronger male facial structure.

2.) Eyeshadow / Liner

This one is pretty cool, when women have a desire for sex, the eyes narrow and lips relax giving a "smolder" or "sensuous" appeal. Eyeliner and eyeshadow narrow the eyes to mimic this appeal. This is why cat eye liner is so popular, as it over exaggerates that sensuous expression by pulling the eye corners out.

Notice how sexier a cat eye does a girls appearance.

Lol this is also why bad eyeshadow or eyeliner looks so terrible, because it alters your expression, even deforming it if done bad enough.

3.) Lipstick / Gloss

Lips are associated with kissing which is the first way a man connects romantically to a woman physically. Kissing is very intimate and even recalls warm feelings of maternal love / affection in men, whom werw smothered with kisses by their moms, sisters, aunties etc.

Kissing also has been linked to romantic compatibility, with a good kiss revealing a romantic sync or unity between the kissers.

Thats it.

Lipstick brings out the desire to kiss and make a romantic connection by drawing the eye to them.

Red is the most desired color on female lips a poll in NY revealed in 2008, in which the OP mentioned, is due to red being a primal indicator of sexual rediness.

Honestly you do not need a full face, a little smooth powder, a line of darker eyeliner and cherry chapstick will get a mans subconcious cues going.

This is why men look / aporoach women with nice, smooth makeup that brings out what those feminine cues.

Men do not like makeup that alters a womans appearance too much, because it can distort her femininity subconciously.

Also, if makeup is too extreme and then removed, the feminine aspects superficially created suddenly disappear to his brain.

Compare #1 me vs #2 me

Guess which look gets hit on most?

1|1
    0|0
  • Dude, sometimes I put on make up even tho I know I'm staying home all day. Don't tell me I do it because I like male attention

3|1
    0|0
    • I believe subconsciously, that’s the motivation. Even if you aren’t going anywhere and you put makeup on, you clearly want to feel more confident with yourself and feel beautiful right? Well, why do you want to feel this way? Because it is tied into being more sexually desirable, envied by men, and able to outdo other women. Otherwise, why would you even wear makeup inside your home if you’re not going anywhere?

• I don't know maybe because I enjoy the creative process of applying it? Sounds more realistic to me tbh. Sometimes people just do things because they like them, not because they attract the other sex.

• It's true. And very unfortunate as well. Certain women wear makeup to highlight their features, certain women wear makeup to hide scars and acne. Certain women wear makeup to feel better about themselves, certain women wear makeup to get head in life (by looking the part you're more likely to get the job). So many reasons. All due to society. Societal norms suck. Like a lot. Thank goodness im 16 and don't give a damn about what society thinks about me yet. I might in the future or I might not, who knows. I might have to at a certain point in my life apply makeup for job interviews and stuff maybe but dates, and stuff? Not likely. Max-lipgloss. Which is what I usually use, lipbalm or lipgloss. Nothing more. Sometimes I do want to go glam, instances like graduation maybe but otherwise it's not going to happen.
    The point of competition, well it's been created this way. There are women who try to out do other women and seduce men but not all. A lot do it for their own self satisfaction as well. And believe it or not, people are insecure. They're like " what are they going to think of me?" And so they apply makeup. The moment that insecurity stops they won't care for others. They would only wear it to please themselves. And that's how it should be.

0|0
    0|0
    • Or they shouldn't wear it at all. If u showed up at a date without make up and the guy doesn't think u are hot still then so be it. Cos he will get to see u without it sooner or later. My ex wore make up only a few times and i liked her without. So I got no su. rprises waking up together

• Show All
    • @BlackMaleYou Whether or not i like sexual intercourse is not the point. What i meant to say was someone cannot like me ONLY for my looks. They need to like me for my personality as well. That ought to be the first criteria and then comes everything else.

• Of course. I don't want anyone to like me only for my looks either and I would appreciate it I'm 100% their type look wise. I can never have a thing with an asexual woman cos it can not work long term

• They wear it to increase their self esteem gained by the attention of men.
    It takes stimulation to get a respond in psychology.

2|2
    1|1
  • I do think the intention of makeup is to attract men, but many modern women do not see it this way BC they insist that they wear makeup for themselves. That's all well and good, but it does not change the intended purpose of the product.

1|2
    0|0
  • It almost sounds like you are insinuating that most women's sole focus is on trapping or landing someone. Women have goals and dreams like everyone else man, and sometimes we need a little something to make us more confident to feel more comfortable to function in society, with less self-consciousness or insecurity. Men do the same thing! Grooming is part of self-care, so i dont know what your getting at. I understand that contouring and heavy makeup is kind of decitfuI, and I agree, not denying it's an art form, but I feel like it's a bit too much in my opinion. I feel like at another point in time women were always in competition in a way, and this wasn't very long ago, but there has been a radical change in recent years. All I see online or in person is women cheering on each other, lifting each other up. There will always be people who love to create drama, but this includes men AND women, it's not exclusive to women. I'm not denying that women put on makeup sometimes to look sexy, but I feel this is some sort of unconscious desire to conform bc all the media perpetuates is this idea that sex is what attracts opportunity. I mean, men mostly think of us a sexual objects unconsciously or consciously anyway, so why not use it to our advantage?

1|0
    0|0
    • And women don't see us as sex objects?

• Show All
    • It doesn't have to be for the career she's pursuing, did you not read my comment maybe? And honestly it comes down to personal preference when you are talking about women gravitating towards guys with muscles. I personally don't like big muscles on a guy. We both have beauty standards that are forces upon us and that make us insecure. I'm not denying that. There are both men and women who can push past these meaningless standards and live life contently. In the same vein, there are both men and women who struggle with body image. If they feel the need to put on a facade to make themselves more open to participating in social events or just to function in society, who are we to judge? We all have our vices.

• You don't like big muscle. Most women don't like too much muscle but still love muscle. Some men are thin and have no muscle some have more fat than muscle naturally. Most women want a fit body with some amount of muscle. A ripped torso with lean muscle. Its almost summer and u wanna sit at a beach with a desirable body-the gym is full.
      I prefer women didn't wear make up cos its to extra and hides a lot and its unnatural. Some Men can get fit and muscly naturally. Some take way longer but its still natural without steroid or harmful protein shakes

• I don't think so anyone denies that makeup is actually worn for looking more appealing to men.

The difference is, not all women wear makeup for this purpose all the time.

2|2
    0|0
    • I believe subconsciously, they do

• Show All
    • You’re still not getting it. Under all of that, what is the deep-rooted, subconscious, and biological answer?

• The deep-rooted answer is definitely being more attractive to the opposite gender. But then, it is also true in case of clothes. And skincare and haircut. And working out. Makeup IS made for being more attractive to men.

Actually, everyone knows it. I thought you just meant it in a shallow concept, but seriously, no one really cares. xD

• WHAT? How DARE you? Cgbkbjdbdldbfcjndkfahajajgavjagajabvyve.

Just kidding. I agree with this 99%. This 1% is just because it really can be just art sometimes.

0|2
    0|0
  • Its almost never for men, at least not in the sense of "I need to do this so guys will want to fuck me" its like the color pink, just something that society and tradition decided to force onto our gender. If anything it flies in the face of nature because males are almost always the ones who are brightly colored to attract female attention.

1|0
    0|1
    • at least those males didn't do anything to get those colors. There is no research that shows the females choose the male with the brightest colors

• Target audience? What.. you mean women? Anyway... I’m sure that’s the case for some people but I don’t see any reason to deny something like this if it’s not true to deny it. I wear makeup for myself and sometimes other women. I don’t do makeup to attract men, I’m not going to find my future boyfriend walking in the street. And even if that was the case, why do a winged eyeliner for someone who’s not even going to notice it and appreciate how hard it is to get it perfect. Only girls go “shit how’d you get your eyeliner like that.” You know?

4|0
    1|1
  • Have you ever considered that someone may enjoy wearing makeup? I know I do, I have had plenty of guys tell me they don't find it attractive and that's completely fine. If I was trying to impress those people then I wouldn't wear makeup at all. I don't doubt some women may use it for that, but I personally dont. And there is nothing more unattractive to me then a man who doesn't support my hobbies or interests. It gets kind of tiring when guys put you down for enjoying something simply because they think they know me better then i know myself. I don't blame anyone for not finding it attractive, but if I was wearing a shirt that showed some clevage and a guy said "Woah, put those titties away, you don't have to show them for me, I like you for you." I would be understandably confused because it seems like they are assuming that I'm so smitten that I choose my clothes based off what I think they like, which isn't the case at all.

2|1
    0|0
    • It's the same with makeup, when a guy tells me that I "don't need it" it seems to me like he's telling me that he thinks i only wear it for him specifically. Which would be a wild assumption. I don't choose my lipstick shade or eyeshadow based off surveys from guys, I wear what I think looks good. I don't go around telling guys how to style their hair to attract me or what clothes they should wear, because i dont assume they dress that way simply to impress me specifically.

• Show All
    • I'm bisexual, I like both men and women. But honestly I get a lot of positive feedback from other women who i end up having great platonic relationships with, it helps me find likeminded friends and feel more confident in myself. And there's nothing wrong with that at all. My point is that when women say "I don't do makeup for men" we really mean "I do it for people other than you too (and that includes myself and my friends, not just people i'm sexually attracted to), and I really don't care whether you like it or not." Which is the exact opposite of being self-concious and looking for attention. Because if I was only trying to please men then I would probably follow the advice of men who tell me they don't like it, but I continue to do it because it's something that makes me feel confident in myself even if most people dont like it. I don't like being told what to do. I don't care if someone has a problem with the amount of makeup I wear.

• Why I do it shouldn't even be a question, because it's not something I should be criticized for. You probably wouldn't want to be criticized by random women because they smell you have deodorant on would you? I'm sure if a woman came up to you and was mad at you for covering up your natural scent with deodorant and called it "false advertising" you would think she was absolutely insane.

• I do it because I like it. I’ve never felt like I had to do it for men. Most of y’all complain about it these days. It’s too much, its dishonest blah blah. Besides, even if it is to gain the attention of a man, it doesn’t mean ALL men. That hot girl with the killer makeup isn’t looking to get the attention of 90 per cent of the men on this website lol.

0|1
    0|0
  • People often have far less sinister purposes for using makeup, maybe consider them as well, rather than pigeonholing them all as competitive sexpreditors.
    can you or anyone else think of a few?

0|1
    1|2
    • Hiding the face in a funny way/creepy way. But that is specific for clowns

• Show All
    • the difference is my point was simple fact, the other point was broad generalization. i did not refute his point other than to say there were certain situations he did not consider. now wit you makes three. did you get bored because we kissed and made up, so thought you would throw in a troll?

• We did more than kiss JohnFrost ☺️
      I’ll send you the video later lmao

• Have you considered... that people deny it because it's not true?

5|2
    2|2
    • Or they deny it because there is an unlinked truth in there

• Show All
    • I'd even say that even when women do wear makeup for the purpose of being more attractive to others, it's not neccesarily to get attention from men.

• I agree with that it doesn't have to be for men. But it is for others. And when you put makeup on just for yourself it's because you are conditioning yourself. Your brain learns if you put up makeup you look good because people tell you you look good. That makes your brain think makeup makes me look good and that is good.

After a while you skip the steps in between I put makeup on and that is going to give me more compliments.

It can be that you do it that way but you have to realise you are kinda lying to yourself. The reward is not earned it's a preemptive reward. And if you would put makeup on for years without the compliments you will lose that reward and that value

• It's 60% to look good for men
    40% to feel beautiful

1|1
    0|0
    • Isn't feeling beautiful in a way the approval of others.

• Show All
    • If you remove where it's is specifically for sexual attention I would agree with you. Makeup and a lot of other ways to make someone more beautifull are for others people. And the approval of others.

• How can you say that it's not true that women wear makeup for their own self asteem and other women? You aren't a woman yourself.

It's like me saying that men use wax and other crap for their hair to attract attention from girls. You would probably disagree and say they wear it to fix up their hair and feel better about a bad hair day.

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh come on, women want to look good to feel good and maybe look good for their partners and keep the fire burnin. But not everything we do is for men. Do not think that way. Because not all women do it for men they do it for themselves and for self esteem. Some women even don’t wanna be with men anymore because of all the bad experiences they had with them in the past.

1|1
    0|0
    • And some women don’t even need to get attention from men , its just comes out naturally.

• Show All
    • Ok we get it you hate men lol

• Oh i don’t hate men , now you are putting words in to my mouth. i have a wonderful partner and he is a man.

• You don't have to wear makeup in order to be pretty at all. Tbh there's lots of people who make themselves even uglier with that make up.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 34

• i think it must go beyond simply being for men. what about lesbians do they wear makeup for men?
    what about a woman in a relationship who puts on makeup to go to work... is that for attracting men?

i agree many many are doing it to be more attractive to men but many are doing it to simply feel their most attractive

0|1
    0|0
    • In ALL of those examples, the answer is the same and it’s the one I’m alluding to—to feel and appear visually and sexually desirable, and for attention.

• Show All
    • i respectfully disagree. i agree a lot of it is about being attractive to the opposite sex but i think there are rather obvious instances where this isn't the case (homosexuality being one huge exception). it isn't entirely (in 100% of cases) about sex or desire but simply wanting to look their best and i think you are actually aware of this since in the second sentence of your most recent response you say "Almost EVERYTHING we do, men and women, is in some way, for sex and the opposite sex"... operative word being Almost.

few efforts are 100% about any singular result. there are exceptions to nearly everything when it comes to behavioral science

• Why do some people feel the need to tell others what they think? I like to wear a suit but it has nothing to do with competing with anyone.

3|3
    0|0
    • You wear a suit because you probably like the look it affords you. The reason why you like the look it affords you can be because your figure is showcased better, you appear more handsome, you appear more professional, etc. All of this impacts how you feel about yourself, your desirability, and your sexual appear in a lot of ways. It’s not so obvious to people, because it is subconscious and deeply-rooted

• Show All
    • I've (and everyone I've talked about this) for years considered suits as a "work outfit" but also as a status symbol too.

• Sure suits are that and people do wear them for that reason. I don't though, I have a personal reason for it and after saying about telling people what they think you tell me what I think and argue against that.

The point I'm making is people aren't always denying their true purpose, they have a multitude of reasons for what they do. But if you think you know what people are thinking then anything else they say is just a lie or ignorance and you don't have to think about it.

• Well it's job is to accentuate their already biological factors that subconsciously reveal to men they are ready to mate. Red and inflamed lips, ruby cheeks etc. So wearing makeup is actually psychologically confusing men whether they realize it or not.

That by no means is saying we do not find natural beauty to be attractive. In fact it proves the opposite, that women without makeup is our natural state and makeup is a barrier making dating and mating complicated.

0|1
    0|0
  • My ex told me makeup made her feel confident and ready to be out in public. Kinda like how I would feel after combing my hair and shaving. She also told me if you aren't complimenting it, then don't say shit about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes women want to be pretty for themselves, just like when I wear nice clothes to look handsome. I want to find myself appealing in the mirror. Call it vanity.

0|0
    0|0
  • The primary objective is to attract a potential partner, but for women it's a way to feel good with their self also, not necessary to please others. It's something that as guys it's hard for us to understand, we don't share the same ritual to bring up our self steem.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't care what a female says, she is trying to attract someone when wearing make up. The ones that say "I'm in a relatiinship, I just like to look good" are looking for a attraction otherwise no need for it. At least this is what I think at the office.

1|0
    1|0
  • I have to respectfully disagree with most of the theory. As a man who wears makeup, I wear it because I enjoy it. A little makeup can make me look extremely feminine. At no point do I consider the opinions or thoughts of any one else, nor do I do it for the attention of a man. That's the last thing on my mind. Also competition is not even a thought.
    Don't assume women wear makeup for men or to be desired by men. Most just do it because it makes them look and feel pretty for themselves.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because it is not necessarily a conscious intent and to admit that you make a subconscious decision is to admit your ego is not the be all and end all of yourself. For some people denial is a better option, to maintain the free will centric world view upon which their entire personality has been built.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well your analyzes are right on the spot, but they use it as a means of competing one against the other as well, just as men use muscles and six packs in competing one another.

0|0
    1|0
  • Women are the only ones who do that. Men know why women do it. It’s for either attention of men, to hide insecurities or both. Women can deny that all they want but we all know what time it is

0|1
    1|0
  • For many women, wearing makeup is not for anyone but themselves... Lots of women who have lowered self esteem wear makeup because it makes them feel better and more confident about themselves...

1|0
    0|1
    • Some women literally hide behind their makeup, it is equivalent to a mask.

• And you know this because you are...,.. a man?

3|4
    0|1
    • You’re 60 years old, surely all your years on this planet could’ve allowed you to devise a better response than that. I don’t have to be a woman to give a intelligent response on this issue

• Show All
  • Most women do makeup because they see other women doing some also do that for fun i always tell my girlfriend that if you do makeups and you mess up your face in the feature i will go in for another girlfriend

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe they're insecure about how they look. Besides, everything anyone ever does is just to get attention from opposite sex. You're not good at thinking. Learn to brain please

0|0
    0|0
  • I like this. Thank you for opening the subject. And doing it in a constructibe manner.
    I may not agree on everything, but I appreciate the sharing.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am not a woman but I can sort of relate. I work out not because I want to look good for women, but for myself.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's because feminism shames core instincts of being a woman.

0|1
    0|0
  • Wow, Iemme just start by, just because your makeup is thick af, doesn't mean she's gonna outdo some girl with minimal make up. Second of all, most girl make up because they are insecure. The more beautiful they look, the more insecure they are. Try dating one of them. You said it's obivious. Well I'd say you're oblivious. Girls who wear minimal make up are the ones really outdoing their competition. They know their value, how to enhance it that tad better but not so much that the public knows they are wearing makeup blatantly obvious. Hope it make sense.

0|1
    0|1
  • Women wear makeup to feel beautiful not to impress guys , at least what they tell me every time I ask

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes