How much makeup is the "right" amount?

I prefer to wear no makeup and let my natural features speak for themselves. Some of my friends wear very subtle makeup, some use it to highlight their favorite feature, and some put on so much they don't even look like themselves anymore. Just wondering if there's an ideal level that is generally most attractive or if it depends on the woman or simply personal preference?

213

Most Helpful Guys

• It depends on the context.

I think heavy makeup can look good, but I also think it's a little odd to cruise around in all day. Like... I like pretty good in a well cut tuxedo, but it doesn't mean I wear it to hang out on the weekend, you know? It's the same idea.

Think of it like an accessory, you can add a touch when you want to look a little better, you can go all out for special events, but you can also look cute with none just hanging out casually.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • I would say personal preference plays a huge role. We all live by our preferences, so there is always a different perspective on the table.

I don't believe there should be any concept as [The right amount] and i don't really think there is. The woman is the one who is wearing the makeup. The woman's comfort, preference and feelings must sit on priority. The right amount must be determined by the makeup user not anyone else.

When it comes to my personal preference; i would embrace the natural look above all. I enjoy it when girls can be confident about their natural appearance. This is how they are born and there is nothing to hide. I would also take every opportunity i can in order to encourage women to be themselves with proud. On the other hand; Subtle makeup is more pleasurable to me when it comes to using makeup. A moderate makeup appears more pleasant than heavy ones. Full-heavy makeups would be good only occasionally as a luxurious adjustment for a fancy event. That would be fine to me then. Remember; all of this are my personal opinion. At the end of the day; i do respect and accept every woman's choice about how they decided to do it and this is i believe what matters the most. Their willingness and desires.

Furthermore; another point i would make is about the artistic side of makeup. Makeup is an art. So it is also dependable on the woman. Subtle or heavy, the way the makeup is applied makes a great impact about how it looks on the person. The combination of the substances and how it matches the skin tone and the outfits. Matching the right combination is important regarding how a makeup reflects out.

Additionally; the health aspect of makeup primarily comes to mind as well. One of the major reasons that i do not like makeups specially heave ones would be the health issues. Even if you use the highest quality, yet those substances are chemicals who can slowly or instantly hurt the textures of one's face. Too much makeup or constant usage of makeup can sabotage the skin cells. It just doesn't worth it. So a great balance is required. Good amount of precaution in order to enjoy makeup; but still protecting the natural beauty and maintaining health. And yet i do feel embracing the natural face is essentially healthier and more positive.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • This is very well thought out and I appreciate such a thorough answer. I hadn't even considered the idea of makeup as an art form but it makes a lot of sense

• Thank you and you're most welcome!

Well; at least it makes sense to you and that's great! I'd consider it an art because it's like a form of painting and decorating. It also takes a lot of knowledge and ability in order to construct a good makeup and to reflect it as beautiful as possible. It gets taught and there are variable techniques and tricks! so it can be pretty much considered an art!

Most Helpful Girl

• I dont think it matters. Men love to say they prefer natural women but yet the models and pornstars they swoon over wear tons of make up. I also have never had a complain ever that I wear too much make up. Just do what makes you happy. There is no right or wrong but in general people are attracted to others who make a effort with their appearance -regardless of gender.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE