What do u think of Melania Trumps's jacket which she wore during a visit to detained immigrant kids?

First Lady Melania Trump has once again come under fire—this time for her choice in outfit for a visit to see migrant children at a Texas border detention centre.
She wore a jacket which critics are slamming as "horrifically tone deaf" and "hugely insensitive."
What are your thoughts about it? What do u think of Melania Trumps's jacket which she wore during a visit to detained immigrant kids?
Updates:
Neither am I shaming her nor am I criticising her. I am just for your personal opinions. That's it
*asking

4|2

Most Helpful Guys

• I’m not a big Trump supporter, but I sincerely doubt she was wearing that as some sort of way to insult the children. I dunno what it was for—whether a message to the media or whatnot, but it seems ridiculous to assume it was an anti-children statement. Seems like a hasty conclusion.

Was it a bad decision to wear the jacket? Yeah, probably, considering the meaning is pretty vague... but I still don’t believe the meaning/intention is as extreme as what some say it is.

I feel like both sides want ultimately to not put the children in harm’s way or whatnot. I honestly don’t buy the mud each is throwing at each other. It’s just a matter of finding a solution that resolves the issue well (i. e. illegal immigration), but also does so without hurting innocent children.

2|1
    0|0
  • I highly doubt she wore the jacket to insult immigrant children and I have greater doubt that it was a message for the media. Both sides appear to be lying on this. The more likely possibility for me is a rather simple one: She still struggles a bit with English, so she didn't take into consideration the words on her jacket. I mean hell, her campaign title was "Be Best"... If she cannot even formulate a simple phrase correctly, I doubt she's knows English too well. The jacket was definitely a stupid choice to make, but a mistake, nonetheless. I don't think she's deserving of so much heat for a mistake. And this opinion comes from someone who absolutely detests the Trump administration and finds her essentially pointless in all this.

2|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• People seriously love to make issues out of nothing. She could of worn top saying "f##k you" doesn't mean she isn't trying to do something postive. And I don't even support trump or Hillary. I couldn't care less about the Amercian election. But people seem to overreact to every single thing that happens.

I think there's more important messed up stuff to focus on going on in America. Like the actual kids themselves. Instead of her jacket.

Also OP im saying people in general make issue out of nothing. Not saying you. This is just your question. This was my opinion about it

2|2
    1|2
  • I think it was in very poor taste, given the current situation... I did read it was directed at the media however there are better ways, times and places to make those kinds of statements. She’s a wealthy woman, she has stylists, advisors and her position calls for every single piece of her wardrobe to be scrutinised both by their own staff but also the media.
    To wear something with that slogan across the back of it at a time where their country is divided over children being separated from their parents when she could have chosen ANYTHING else is going to make a statement. Whether or not that was intentional is irrelevant - it’s insensitive and they know better

7|1
    0|3
    • they didn't do it randomly lol... they knew the shock factor on the day off...
      its clearly don't intentionally to get people first talking about it... to get the media talking about it then after the media has made a ton of claims... you have trumpet just simply tweet out that its for the media...

I mean thats poet lol

• @TripleAce it’s something alright 😜 don’t know if poetic is what I’d call it.
      I think just find it weak - if she wants to make a statement then make it, and make it clear instead of an ambiguous slogan on a shitty $38 sack she normally wouldn’t be caught dead in. If you can’t be clear on your intent then people are going to make up their own, and in the current political situation it really does seem like it’s against the families affected. Whether what they have done is right or wrong, whether them being separated is right or wrong for the First Lady to literally wear a jacket saying she doesn’t care then refuse to make it clear what it’s about? Nah.
      Trump speaking for her is even weaker, she has a platform, she has an audience and she should learn to use it independently or just be quiet

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 82

• I found it hilarious because they’ve gotten so much shit that it’s grown tiresome. (Trump got two scoops of icecream and Trump eats fried chicken with a fork!! LETS MAKE IT NEWS!!) lets be real they have borders with detention centers all over the world yet people don’t care about that.

Also let’s forget how obama bombed the shit out of the middle east more than Bush as well as having the highest count on deporting illegal immigrants.

6|3
    1|3
  • She was just wearing a jacket. Yeah it may have seemed bad considering the situation, but she spoke openly against the separation that was going on at the border, so she does care. Again it's just the left leaning media trying to make the Trumps look bad, even when they are doing such a great job.

2|3
    1|1
    • She would have been criticized, regardless of what she wore.

• Show All
    • Exactly! And trump uses the media that hates him, to his own advantage.
      It's quite laughable.

• @PhilBurt haha yeah, he plays the media like a puppet. It's quality entertainment.

• Regardless of your political leanings I think we can all agree that it is inappropriate and distasteful to wear a jacket saying you don't care, while visiting children that were taken from their families. Imagine that happening to you.

6|2
    0|1
    • "I think we can all agree that it is inappropriate and distasteful to wear a jacket saying you don't care, while visiting children that were taken from their families"

But that's just it. Basic human decency can no longer be assumed. There are MANY on the right wing side who don't feel anything for these kids, or who don't think that jacket is inappropriate.

You need to wake up and realise just how hateful irrational and insane they are.

• You make a good point.

• I don't believe that the message was directed at the migrant children. I think it was just a very clumsy lapse in thought. I don't believe that she is very bright.

I would have to say that the slogan was unnecessary anyway. We can see in her face that she doesn't care. She constantly looks like she's been licking piss off a ghost pepper. I would imagine that she has entirely lost the will to live.

1|0
    0|0
  • I understand that the left dislikes President Trump because he doesn't sugarcoat anything and he's not always Presidential. I don't think though that he's a bad man and wants to hurt families at the border. And I don't think the left should constantly be attacking Melania, Ivanka, Donald Jr, and the rest of his family, simply because they don't like President Trump.

Could you imagine if someone on the right wrote a story about one of Obama's daughters (while he was President) having possible Aspergers and making fun of her for it? That's what the left did with Barron Trump. They did that when he was 11-years-old, but I guess he deserved it since he's the President's son.

Anyways, I don't see a problem with the message on her jacket. She is basically calling the left out for making this issue political. These are people's lives we are talking about.

And for the record, Barack Hussein Obama administration knowingly placed children with human traffickers, which is why the Trump administration separated families so they could assess who were being trafficked to the United States and which children actually belonged to their alleged parents. I bet the liberal media doesn't tell you that little tidbit of information, do they?

www.snopes.com/.../

2|1
    5|1
    • "She is basically calling the left out for making this issue political. "

How is immigration law not political by its very nature?

• Show All
    • @sjoes006
      Are you gonna cwy?

• Over your failures? No, but I wish you well.

• The fact that some people either say it's a non issue or, worse, try to take her side says a lot about people from USA. I'm so glad I'm not living in this country.

6|2
    4|8
  • Rappers literally made comments on twitter threatening to assault Melania and whore her out. Liberal tv show hosts call her what was prior known as the worst insult you can call a woman.

Why on earth should anyone care if hispanics or blacks or liberal crybabies are offended?

ih0.redbubble.net/.../...0,center-bg,ffffff.u3.jpg

2|4
    3|2
    • Agree.. Cry babies who need more illegals on our welfare checks instead of going to work to me..

• Melania used that jacket against Trump. She doesn't even like her husband, probably used it also because Trump probably didn't want to go with her or something that annoyed her. Then he went on Twitter to cover it for her. Not the first time she does this tho.

2|0
    0|1
  • On the one hand, it's an idiotic move that panders to Mr. Trump's few die-hard supporters. It's like they can't take one second to do something non-partisan. It's blatantly divisive and demonstrates that Trump is not the President of all Americans.

On the other hand, Melania Trump is a non-entity to me. It's like she doesn't exist. She's just a mindless automaton that sometimes follows Trump around saying nothing and doing nothing of value whatsoever. Her opinion is irrelevant.

3|0
    0|1
    • Except the apparent few voted your liberal arse out of office. Did you ever think we aren't the minority...

• Show All
    • You can believe all you want. All I know is Trump our lord and savior is in office and life is good.

• @Purin Yep. All you know is Trump is your lord and savior. That's obvious.

• Actually, I'd respect her more if she did it on purpose.
    Those children are in detention centers because their parents are irresponsible criminals, the blame rests on their shoulders.

2|2
    8|4
    • A parent wouldn’t put their kids through something like this if it wasn’t needed. They are seeking asylum.

• Show All
    • It is very different than "hardly any freedom". Discrimination is something else and it is societal. It is a lack of rights in some way since they can't get married.

• “illegal or not” that’s the thing. It is ILLEGAL. As in, AGAINST THE LAW.

• She doesn't care about CNN. The CNN reporters wanted that jacket to be about the children of illegal immigrants. That jacket gave the CNN reporters something else to whine about.

1|1
    0|0
  • It was a big middle finger to the American people and the media, and a threat to the rest of the world about the ruthlessness of the administration. She probably didn't pick that out for herself.

4|1
    0|1
  • I think it was definitely a bad move wearing that. To go to investigate a situation that makes the USA look bad on the world stage you'd think she'd be very careful how things are presented. The children will be distraught after being taken from their families (they take infants too, like months old children) and the country & world would be watching. At most I hope it was a really bad accident.

2|0
    0|0
  • Her message was directed at the lying press who keep blaming Trump for Obama's crimes.

Look up how many kids were separated from their parents under Obama, and look up where they all are now. How many were sold into sex slavery for Obama's pedophile friends? Media won't report that, because they ARE Obama's pedophile friends!

0|2
    2|1
  • Maybe she's mad at her husband for being an asshole to kids, and this was a message to tell him that?

I hope she did not wear it to tell people that she does not care about the kids

2|2
    0|3
  • It's very accurate to the actual feeling of the majority of the population. Everyone who is outraged by this, let me ask you a couple questions. How many of you will take those kids (and family) into your home. How many of you will raises those kids with money out your pocket until they reach 18? I'm sure the answer is NONE of you will. So stop with the fake outrage and the fake "oh I care for people" when none of you actually do. So that Jacket is spot on wheather you all like it or not.

1|1
    1|3
    • That's a really heavy strawman. People are against the separation of children from their families. Are you really that lacking in empathy? Think if America was on the brink of collapse and you tried to go to another country, no means of communicating with the countries government and are seeking asylum. Why should they even be taking your children and jailing you? I understand kicking them out as the most aggressive means, but arresting the parents and caging the kids is pretty much the same thing as taking them in and trying to make them citizens (economically wise). You'd be paying your tax dollars in feeding the kids and parents, lose your pull on the international stage, and have wasted money when you could have just kicked people out to their country or one willing to take them in. I'm not sure why your reaction is to be cruel but its something to consider.

• Show All
    • I don't know, I don't control the media or other people, but *I* am outraged by it. I mention it on my twitter but obviously, one person isn't enough and politics is new to me as of 2015. So you can imagine my disgust in the country's behavior. Also, you are moving the goal post of the conversation this is about the outfit and the separation of children from their families.

• @AgentDearestZ I'm not moving the goal post. I'm talking about the fake outrage by people who pick and choose what they want to be outrage about. In a few weeks from now. No one is going to be talking about this , because there is going to be something new to be outrage about. This same shit happened when the hurricane hit Puerto Rico last year. Puerto Rico isn't fixed, but you don't hear anyone talking about it anymore. So if you are genuinely outrage. Good !!! But a tweet isn't making the lives of those kids any better.

I'm not attacking you by the way. I just telling you how the media and America works. You can disagree with what I'm saying and think I'm a dick. But it's the truth wheather you like it or not.

If you really want to help a kid. Go on the UN website and pledge money to help a kid go to school and have a meal. That's actually helping.

• They don't belong here, if you want to enter the US, do it legally

3|5
    5|2
    • Hard to do so. While they wait for it to happen their kids are starving or dying.

• can you explain your stance on it? whats the issue with it? explain

3|0
    0|1
    • well if you have no stance.. then what it really means trump already told us
      trump tweeted
      I REALLY DON’T CARE, DO U?” written on the back of Melania’s jacket, refers to the Fake News Media. Melania has learned how dishonest they are, and she truly no longer cares!

and I think we as citizens are on the same side... as trump.. the toxic media is garbage and trash...
      I agree, I don't really care.. do you?

• Show All
    • *criticising. Typo error

• ya I think its good... a good stance, the media is a monkey house... this was a good chance to put some words.. have the media incorrectly bash them.. then have trump simply tweet out the reason why...
      now the media looks even dumber lol...

• No idea why she would do that. It goes against the purpose of her trip.

2|3
    1|2
    • The message was directed at the fake media, not the children she flew down to help.

• Show All
    • He attacks the free press, because they attack him. And have you noticed that they want him to stop Tweeting? lol They can't stand that he has the means to speak directly to the American media, without having it filtered by the press that hates him.
      I even saw where idiot Pelosi, tweeted, that Trump shouldn't tweet! OMG.

Was it clumsy optics, or was it an other of Trump's setups? Melania's jacket DIDN'T say she doesn't care about the kids. Trump allowed the media to decide that. Brilliant.
      It discredits the media, and gains more Trump supporters.

• @PhilBurt That is their JOB. The free press is there to hold power to account. Most politicians deal with that. Trump is too thin-skinned. He is behaving like a dictator, and undermining democracy.

They complain about his tweets because his tweets are DANGEROUS. He keeps changing his mind, contradicting his administration without warning, threatening nuclear war, targeting named individuals, etc. Apart from sullying the office, he is undermining American diplomacy, alliances and your international image and place in the world. Which has consequences for everyone in the world. If you're the POTUS, you don't threaten nuclear war on Twitter. That is the height of irresponsibility.

Anyone would conclude that. How can you not see that? That's like me walking into a bank with a ski mask and a toy gun, then complaining when someone calls the police.

• I think the talking heads who made a mountain out of this particular molehill need to have their mouths washed out with soap.

3|1
    0|5
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 53

• Maybe she just can't read English... and since that might be the case she though it was a cool jacket that would make her more relatable to the cool kids today. Also the sneakers match!
    Hahaha

2|0
    2|4
  • it's to the media

1|2
    0|0
  • I think it's great. What better way to tell haters to stfu. I don't care what you have to say. But of course liberals spin it in their favor like she's saying she doesn't care about the illegal immigrants. I'm happy to know we have a strong first lady that's not gonna let all the ankle biting liberals bring her or our president down.

3|6
    3|3
  • She's got no one at the White House who would suggest she not wear it. No one. Not one person could or would suggest it was I'll advised.

Like whomever let her inauguration speech fly.

We live in bizarre times.

5|2
    0|4
  • Interesting choice of fashion for the occassion. I mean, the jacket is cute... but, why wear it to a detention center where immigrant children are horrified to have been taken away from their parents? She seems completely out of touch with reality.

Someone from the White House tweeted that the jacket had “no hidden message,” while Trump tweeted that the message was directed towards the “fake media.” So which one is it?

4|3
    0|3
    • It initially had no hidden message, but once the media started to criticize it, Trump simply said it's now directed towards those who criticized it for assumptions.

• Based on previous performance anything said by Trump is untrue.

• yea it kinda is. i mean there a millions of jackets she can choose from, not like she has a problem affording anything. just why that jacket? especially when u know people (these days especially) are extremely sensitive? sigh idek

1|2
    0|1
  • She’s trolling someone. Probably those that say and do nothing about the issue. Maybe even the POTUS.

I quite like Melania. She’s been sending subversive messages through her clothing for awhile now. This coat retails for under $100 and it’s June.

This was an intended act. I don’t know if she got across the message she was meaning to but she’s certainly started a debate.

This was deliberate and to take it on its face that she doesn’t care about the children would be a mistake.

1|1
    1|1
  • The side on the right complained about Michelle Obama wearing sleeveless dresses and so the left has the right to complain about Melania Trump wearing a jacket that says "I don't really care, Do U?" whilst on her way to visit a humanitarian crisis.

3|3
    0|1
  • Stope shamming her just because she’s a republican First Lady. Critics need to get a life, let Madame Melania Trump wear what she wants. She’s beautiful, and no one should shame her.

2|3
    3|4
    • This comment is going to get a lot of heat. But whatever, anonymous was not an option.

• Show All
    • Thanks for your opinion, Mrkinktastic. You’re also entitled to yours, it was interesting to read.

• You're very welcome and thank you for yours as well.

• Honestly. It doesn't fucking matter does it, a "normal" girl could wear it and her friends would be like 'omg where did u buy it I love it" but bc she wears it that means it's insensitive? How? Maybe she just likes it. So fuck off with the media bc it's all bullshit and pisses me off, leave her to do what she wants. Just bc she is the president's wife doesn't mean she's not human and doesn't "like" the jacket she bought. She wouldn't buy it if she didn't like it yeezus

1|1
    2|1
  • Regardless her position or opinión of that incident with the immigrants in favor or against it I believe a respected mature woman like herself with the position of being the country´s First lady should always keep a decor, an etiquette, some manners and not lower herself doing such things and lend herself doing that like she was an ordinary rebel teenager.

Have you seen other country´s First ladies doing that now or in the past? I haven't

3|1
    0|2
  • Someone was trying to make a point. I don't know who or what point that was.

She usually wears high end, obscenely expensive clothing. This jacket is $39 from Zara. It's not an accident.

3|2
    0|1
    • According to trump it's meant to be directed towards the media.

• Show All
    • Yeah. Who knows? Maybe she was forced to do it and she was pissed at trump and wanted to make him look bat.

• @Celtero maybe? Such a strange and out of touch thing to wear

• I don't care about her or her husband. Every time trump opens their mouth shit comes out.

Sometimes I wonder what goes on in those peoples mind who voted that guy to be the president. Honestly?

3|0
    0|1
    • Hillary Supporters use zero logic though.

• Show All
    • Oh what country do you live in?

• @RationalMale she's probably from Canada or western Europe. The same places that migrants are destroying because of the liberal mentality. Immigration is a great thing, but they are going to those countries with literally boatloads of people, destroying the culture and countries. Just because Trump tries to secure borders and what not, he's looked at as a redneck xenophobic racist. When there is terror attacks in Europe, liberals feel sad for Europe, but don't realize those same migrants were going to come to the US and possibly do the same thing. Thats why i say they generally don't use logic. They use emotions not logic most of the time.

• I think it was just poor timing for that PR stunt. I get what she was going at, it was more of a middle finger to the mainstream left media but they just took it out of contexts as per usual as she was seeing immigrant children

1|2
    0|1
    • Exactly. The statement was directed at the fake news media, and they did what they do best. The twisted the meaning of the statement, to fit their liberal agenda.

• I was surprised. I thought it gave the media more to talk about.

1|2
    0|0
  • Frankly I think it's a stupid thing to be an issue to begin with lol, it's just an article of clothing with not even direct inference to the situation at hand.
    I hear she only wore it to the airport and not to actually visit the kids which I guess is kinda plausible because otherwise we'd be seeing pictures of her interacting with children while dressed in that jacket plastered all over news sites but eh what do I know

0|1
    0|1
  • Kinda thoughtless. I mean, I doubt she meant it as any kind of message, I don’t think she was being cruel, but her position calls for sensitivity and respect, something like that shouldn’t have been overlooked. It’s kinda hilarious though.

1|1
    0|0
  • I mean, I go outside in comfortable clothing even if the writing is stupid. I don't plan to coordinate every little outfit I use to go outside. Sure, she's a prominent figure, and she gets media attention, but I wear what's comfortable man.

1|0
    1|2
    • Come on.. they know what they are wearing, down to the socks, being in such a prominent position requires attention to detail.

• @caligrizz23 I don't even look at the writing on my clothes before I go out. lol. True that being in a prominent position requires attention to detail, but I'm not sure if she's used to people scrutinizing every little detail of her. Like, before Trump's presidency, I don't think anyone ever looked at every little detail of her before.

• She worked as a model for a few years as well...

• I think this whole administration (and family) is seriously messed up in their heads. America is run by inhuman sociopaths.

4|0
    0|4
  • I personally think it's moronic and inappropriate, whoever it was directed at.

I also read someone saying that she can speak 6 languages and can't help but laugh.

2|1
    0|1
    • Despite her heavy accent she does have good command of the English language, is quite intelligent and does speak many languages fluently.

It was definitely intentional and like most of her nonverbal signaling is subversive. Maybe the person it was meant for got the message. Maybe it’s a challenge for the rest of us to get off our asses.

• @sjoes006 of course you can come here and kinda insult me the way I may have insulted her, but that still doesn't change my mind in that I think she's old enough and holds a position high enough to be able to express her opinions in a more mature way.

This goes hand in hand with her being able to speak many languages fluently, which I don't believe for a second she is. If she did, and even as a first lady, she would have gained the understanding of many different cultures as well and would have the
      power to do much more than what she does.

• I mean you no insult at all. Zero intent to do so, I’m not a fan of Trump. But you see how language and culture gaps come in?

Honestly she really doesn’t have much recourse. She has to stay married to him and act appropriately until they are out of office. Her husband makes scene enough for both of them.

The only thing I care about is that her cheap jacket is keeping attention on these children which is exactly where it should be until they are reunited with their parents.

And we don’t know when that will be. But I know I’m taking off work to go to Brownsville TX where one of the main detention centers are next week to protest and demand action. If the fed won’t act TEXAS has a lot of pressure on it right now to do something.

This is an atrocity beyond the scope of which I ever thought I would see the US commit in my very worst nightmares, of which there have been many.

Record keeping was so poor the longer we wait these kids may never be reunited w family.

• More from Girls

Recommended myTakes