What are you opinions on models not being allowed to smile?

I am an amatuer photographer and have always hated the way models have to look expresionless. In my opinion it says to me "Hey look at me Im wearing expensive gucci dress and I am above the average person" Its kinda like your not allowed to enjoy wearing the clothing. Or you are just there as a manaquin to promote the brand and product. When I do photography I like models to feel comfortable and happy like they are naturaly enjoying the enviroment. I know that is not what the industry standard is but its an old style that is outdated and the industry is scared of change. Just like seeing bigger models who are not celebrities or one offs to claim diversity. Your thoughts are welcome on the subject. If any models are on here too love you opinions and if you would prefer to smile or not.What are you opinions on models not being allowed to smile?

2227

Most Helpful Girls

• The more expensive the brand the more untouchable the models look. Look at Targets and Primarks models they all smile.

• Thats because it is a cheap brand and has to appeal to people on a tight budget. However I just feel expensive brands are afraid to look happy because then they are dumbing down to the level of a regular person. They have to be elitist otherwise socialites and celebrities will not be drawn in to paying 4x the price for a tshirt you can pay £20 for

• Very good point. Interesting.

• I think it has to do with what types of modeling/ gig is booked. Some brands want their products to be seen as a sensual in a forbidden apple-elite type of way that can be appealing to people who want to fit into that exclusive category. Many of these high fashion brands fall will call on the editorial, runway type of model. Now, on the other hand, lifestyle/commercial models are often encouraged to smile to show happiness, relatability and inclusivity. Also, one thing to consider is that most models are booked for their looks, specifically angled cheekbones and peak features; when a model smiles, those features are lost in that facial expression.