Dyeing my hair, need advice. Can you use a blue coloring shampoo to tone down a reddish purple? Du you have any experience with this?

Ok, so I have virgin hair, never dyed/bleached before. My hair is naturally auburn, slightly chocolaty, and I'd like to dye it dark purple, im not willing to bleach it, and I'm using a box of color... I tested it on a small section and it turned out great, a beautiful rich reddish purple, witch I like, and I will do my whole hair... But is a bit too red toned, and I would like to tone it down a bit, a blue coloring shampoo would do the job? If no, what can I use Instead
*note, the color on the box wasn't so red, but when hair get processed chemically it's natural reaction is to get warm tones, this is why when bleached hair is yellow at first and it needs to be toned... Lol, I'm a nerd and I know color chemistry but I never tried practically so that's why I'm asking

In the pics you have my natural hair, the test section And a comparison between the two (the colored strand is straight because I blow dry it this way looks weird 😂)Dyeing my hair, need advice. Can you use a blue coloring shampoo to tone down a reddish purple? Du you have any experience with this?Dyeing my hair, need advice. Can you use a blue coloring shampoo to tone down a reddish purple? Du you have any experience with this?Dyeing my hair, need advice. Can you use a blue coloring shampoo to tone down a reddish purple? Du you have any experience with this?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Haven't dyed my hair so I'm not sure. Your original hair color looks better to me. I have like light brown hair and some blond frontal hair caused by the sun. I don't know that should I dye it darker in the future?

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Is the dye you're using permanent or semi permanent?

If it's semi, then I'd just buy a blue color dye to mix in with the purple. Lol I dyed my hair purple earlier this year and I mixed like 4 different shades together before I got the shade I wanted.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 1

• You have such beautiful hair. Why dye it when the natural looks so cool?

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• No. Blue is used for gold correction. You have to use a color opposite on the color wheel. For purple you would need yellow. For red correction green. You need to go to a Sally's or other beauty supply store and see what they have. But first, call a salon and ask their advice what to do.

0|0
    0|0
  • I actually follow a hair stylist who is obsessed with hair color and posts reactions and advice to DIY die jobs all the time. I just watched a video on a similar matter. A girl was trying to tone down her hair color with this method. When it didn't work, she decided to bleach it with really strong bleach. His consensus was, a bleach bath is best to tone down hair color. A very mild, low concentration of bleach mixed with shampoo. For you I would guess the milder the better. He says to wash your hair with the shampoo, leave in for a few minutes, and rinse out. Thats it! :)

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know anything about hair sorry but if I was you I'd go to a pro and ask in more detail x

0|0
    0|0
  • You can use purple, I don't know about blue.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes