Should I sue the school? My daughter was suspended for wearing jeans with rips like really? It's fashion ?

61123

Most Helpful Guys

• Sue for what? people complain so much nowadays about nothing I wore uniforms my whole school life, polos and khaki pants. My backpack had to be mesh or see through. hair couldn't be taller than an inch or longer than the neck. Girls couldn't have skirts shorter than a 3 inchs above the knee. No died colored hair.

And guessed who complained? not a damn person cause if the school said you can't then you can't. And we moved on simple as that. Dressed your kid right and appropriately and no one will have a problems instead of complaining and trying to sue for fashion.

• What a depressing question. I don't like something so i'm going to sue. What a world we live in. And you hide behind annoymous, not even willing to put your name to your opinion.
    How bout an alternative. Join the PTA, engage with the school and push for an update of the dress code if you care so much. Or maybe embark the principle of time and place to your kids, school is about learning, not a fashion show. Sometimes there are rules that have to be followed, wether you agree or not.

Most Helpful Girls

• Does your school have an expressly written out dress code? If you and/or your child were made aware of this (and even if you weren't) if it exists for public view, you're probably going to lose this fight and here's why:

Assuming they do have a dress code, the school is well within their rights to suspend your daughter because by violating said dress code, she is considered as "distracting or disruptive to the learning process." If everyone has to wear a blue shirt, and she "gets to" wear red, she is a distraction and it is in effect unfair to the other students that different rules should apply to her.

Secondly, your child's rights to wear whatever, are protected if and only if the policy is discriminatory against girls, boys, her religion, her race, or in some cases her political view. If the policy says "no ripped jeans for both boys and girls," the school has an even and fair policy that applies to all (which I'm guessing they do).

You may argue that suspending your daughter is indeed a disruption to you know, her actual education, but the school has I'm guessing informed both you and your daughter prior to the school year of the policy and made the consequences in the policy clear, so by you or her willfully ignoring it, that is not the schools fault and they are acting accordingly.

Side bar: I've never known a school to outright suspend a student for their first violation of dress code. I went to a high school with a very strict dress code to the point of regulating shoe color, and those in violation were given 2 separate violation warnings, then the third was detention, and finally the fourth was suspension, so something tells me that this may not be your daughters first infraction.

• No.

Let’s look at this practically (rather than money grabbing).

The school has a certain standard to maintain. For themselves, the teachers, parents, onlookers and other pupils. If your child turned up in crotchless trousers and nipple tassels you would complain people stared. A line has to be set somewhere and the school as set it there.

The school has a provision of care. Again, you would kick off if your child was raped over previous example of garments so they are trying to ensure your child is not sexualised.

The school is providing an education for your daughter, not a well guarded brothel. Students are there to learn, not gawp at each other.

I think you should be thankful your daughter has freedom in dress code. Over here, we have to wear uniforms to school and the uniforms have a strict dress code (top buttons done up, skirts a certain length, etc).

So, frankly, I think you should calmly tell your daughter to reserve those clothes for outside school hours and you shouldn’t look to deprive other students futures over a pair of ripped jeans.

• Thank you! Good to finally see a girl say that. Can't stand these bratty kids thinking they can do and wear whatever they want. They need to learn that when inside school property, work hours, and private buildings then you have rules to abide by.

• @virginbish I thought I was clear but ok... scared that people need more... out of interest how could I have made this thread clearer?

• Nah don't worry about it ahah, it's like 3am here, and I really am a dimwit when it comes to sarcasm over text, so I couldn't pick it up for the life of me lol.
      Keep being sarcastic, we need more people to make this app more fun instead of just serious comments all the time xD
      In the 1% that I do catch on, I tend to enjoy it very much ahaha