Should I sue the school? My daughter was suspended for wearing jeans with rips like really? It's fashion ?

1|2

Most Helpful Guys

• Sue for what? people complain so much nowadays about nothing I wore uniforms my whole school life, polos and khaki pants. My backpack had to be mesh or see through. hair couldn't be taller than an inch or longer than the neck. Girls couldn't have skirts shorter than a 3 inchs above the knee. No died colored hair.

And guessed who complained? not a damn person cause if the school said you can't then you can't. And we moved on simple as that. Dressed your kid right and appropriately and no one will have a problems instead of complaining and trying to sue for fashion.

1|1
    0|0
  • What a depressing question. I don't like something so i'm going to sue. What a world we live in. And you hide behind annoymous, not even willing to put your name to your opinion.
    How bout an alternative. Join the PTA, engage with the school and push for an update of the dress code if you care so much. Or maybe embark the principle of time and place to your kids, school is about learning, not a fashion show. Sometimes there are rules that have to be followed, wether you agree or not.

3|3
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Does your school have an expressly written out dress code? If you and/or your child were made aware of this (and even if you weren't) if it exists for public view, you're probably going to lose this fight and here's why:

Assuming they do have a dress code, the school is well within their rights to suspend your daughter because by violating said dress code, she is considered as "distracting or disruptive to the learning process." If everyone has to wear a blue shirt, and she "gets to" wear red, she is a distraction and it is in effect unfair to the other students that different rules should apply to her.

Secondly, your child's rights to wear whatever, are protected if and only if the policy is discriminatory against girls, boys, her religion, her race, or in some cases her political view. If the policy says "no ripped jeans for both boys and girls," the school has an even and fair policy that applies to all (which I'm guessing they do).

You may argue that suspending your daughter is indeed a disruption to you know, her actual education, but the school has I'm guessing informed both you and your daughter prior to the school year of the policy and made the consequences in the policy clear, so by you or her willfully ignoring it, that is not the schools fault and they are acting accordingly.

Side bar: I've never known a school to outright suspend a student for their first violation of dress code. I went to a high school with a very strict dress code to the point of regulating shoe color, and those in violation were given 2 separate violation warnings, then the third was detention, and finally the fourth was suspension, so something tells me that this may not be your daughters first infraction.

0|2
    0|0
  • No.

Let’s look at this practically (rather than money grabbing).

The school has a certain standard to maintain. For themselves, the teachers, parents, onlookers and other pupils. If your child turned up in crotchless trousers and nipple tassels you would complain people stared. A line has to be set somewhere and the school as set it there.

The school has a provision of care. Again, you would kick off if your child was raped over previous example of garments so they are trying to ensure your child is not sexualised.

The school is providing an education for your daughter, not a well guarded brothel. Students are there to learn, not gawp at each other.

I think you should be thankful your daughter has freedom in dress code. Over here, we have to wear uniforms to school and the uniforms have a strict dress code (top buttons done up, skirts a certain length, etc).

So, frankly, I think you should calmly tell your daughter to reserve those clothes for outside school hours and you shouldn’t look to deprive other students futures over a pair of ripped jeans.

3|2
    0|0
    • Thank you! Good to finally see a girl say that. Can't stand these bratty kids thinking they can do and wear whatever they want. They need to learn that when inside school property, work hours, and private buildings then you have rules to abide by.

• Show All
    • @virginbish I thought I was clear but ok... scared that people need more... out of interest how could I have made this thread clearer?

• Nah don't worry about it ahah, it's like 3am here, and I really am a dimwit when it comes to sarcasm over text, so I couldn't pick it up for the life of me lol.
      Keep being sarcastic, we need more people to make this app more fun instead of just serious comments all the time xD
      In the 1% that I do catch on, I tend to enjoy it very much ahaha

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 121

• The school probably has a dress code.
    School is about teaching skills and discipline.
    If your boss asked you not to show up with ripped jeans would you Sue them? No. This is the lesson the school is teaching. How to look presentable.

5|4
    0|0
  • If ripped jeans violated the dress code, and there was advance notice of the dress code, then you're not going to be successful suing the school. The fact that you're mad about this isn't the basis for a successful lawsuit.

4|2
    0|0
  • It's a school, not a fashion show. If they dont care about her academically, then you have a problem. If they see what she wore as a distraction or an infraction to their policies, then so be it.

Wherever she works there will be some kind of dress code, why not learn how to adhere to it now? A little discipline won't hurt her

5|0
    0|0
  • The school is wrong. While I think ripped jeans are an ugly, pointless fashion, they aren't a big deal.

That said?
    Your attitude of "I should lawyer up and try to harm an institution, and if I can get an easy pay day from it, yeah, windfall for me!" is probably more disgusting to me.

2|1
    0|1
  • Does the school have a dress policy on its web site? Does the policy prohibit ripped and torn jeans?

4|3
    0|0
  • In my country all public schools have uniforms and wearing them is mandatory, so suing a school here for this is a dead issue. Hate to break it to you, but schools are ultimately institutions of learning, not catwalks or houses of fashion. Even in schools that don't have dress codes (uniforms), common sense, respect for others, and good taste are essential factors to consider when dressing for school or for any other occasion.

2|3
    0|0
  • sue the school for that? hahaha. Lady look, if you want your kid to progress in school, abide by the rules. Otherwise your kid will grow up to be someone who will defect. Sueing is never the answer unless you have lost a large sum of money.

4|1
    0|0
  • sue the school for this? no
    petition the school board. petition administration. go to the PTO/PTA and address the issue but suing the school will be a severe waste of your time and money

if the school has a dress code and your daughter broke it then that's that. they don't care about "fashion"

0|1
    0|0
  • Teach your daughter and yourself to respect rules and dress codes 🙄

7|3
    0|0
  • It's called a "frivolous lawsuit", and your daughter's school has a dress code. If your daughter violated that dress code for any reason, the school has a duty to follow through on whatever punishment may be set out in the rules.
    But if you want to sure the school, I'm sure you'd make a couple of lawyers pretty happy.

1|0
    0|0
  • You can't just sue because you don't like something, there has to be a loss or damages in order to sue... and we'll have you ever been to court... all judges are old and old people freak out if a girls ankle is showing so chances are her jeans will terrify the judge and you don't got a chance

2|2
    0|0
  • You can try in sure your lawyer would be happy to take your money win or lose. If there is a uniform or dress code you must comply. You likely would have signed a piece of paper agreeing that your daughter would adhere to school policy and school dress code when you enrolled her.
    School is not a fashion runway, she's there for an education.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm not a good one to answer on this: I came from a time when ripped jeans went on the "work jean" pile. Now, shoppers are willing to pay ten bucks each for designer holes on their pants! If there is a published dress code available which was available for viewing in some manner, the school would probably win.

0|0
    0|0
  • Eh, suspension might have been a bit harsh, but just follow the god damn dress code. It's school. What your daughter wears doesn't have to be a statement. When your daughter attends fashion school she can wear ripped jeans to her heart's content, but until then she gets to wear plain, boring clothes just like everyone else.

0|2
    0|0
  • If your daughter knowingly went against the school's clothing policies, then she deserved to be punished. School is not a fashion show, it's good for her to learn that now, so you should thank the school for wanting your daughter to look presentable if not somewhat professional. A lot of school systems don't care enough about their students to teach them anything like that.

2|0
    0|0
  • It is school corridor , not a fashion ramp..

it is time for her to learn stuff instead of teaching fashion to others..
    you should support the school suggestion..

she can do whatever she like outside school premises,
    but inside school and class... she sticks to the rules..

1|0
    0|0
  • What's the more funny side of it... is how people spend money to buy new ripped Jeans! It use to be when Jeans were ripped they were either too old and good for the trash or make them into shorts ! Lol

1|2
    0|0
  • No school wear needs to be practical.
    Ripped jeans are not practical.
    If the rips get caught somewhere and she trips, the school will get in trouble for that.
    If another student spills chemicals on her legs that one less layer of protection she has.
    As well as not looking sensible and mature.

1|0
    0|0
  • 😂 yeah it won't work because their gonna use their bullshit feminist banter and say, "she was distracting the boys" Like the opposite sex if full of pigs that somehow get off on kneecaps😑. Just leave the fuckers alone and send your daughter somewhere else. I mean maybe you can complain to the school board? It's an option

1|1
    0|0
  • How ridiculous were the rips? Ripped jeans aren't the same torn trousers skaters and punks used to wear. The pants now are more hole than pants and the holes aren't natural.

If it was those then I can agree with the verdict of the school. If they were simple and basic tears around the knees and shit then I don't see a problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 59

• You're more outraged about your daughter's fashion over her education? Mother of the year over here!

That's sarcasm obviously. Maybe it was violating dress code. Most schools and jobs are agaisnt ripped jeans. Instead of teaching her that the rules should be bent for her and her "fashion" choices, show her how the real world is.

3|4
    0|0
    • These "dress code" stories are ridiculous. I'm always shocked how many moms value fashion over their daughters education.

You realize most jobs have a dress code? She'll experience this at jobs and won't be able to sue then. Teach her the right thing early.

• Show All
    • @InTimoreDei I've always had uniforms in the schools I went to. I say all schools should do that to prevent entitled students and their parents from bitching.

• I agree. Unfortunately though, where I live, entitled parents and their bitching caused some schools to stop enforcing uniforms. UGH.

• Sue... definitely not.

Fashion... it makes you look like trailer trash..

Get your daughter some decent looking clothes for school and teach her how to dress with class... it will pay off later !!!

0|3
    0|0
  • I think to sue the school is too far. First look at the dress code of the school and if ripped jeans are listed as not allowed, then don't let her wesr ripped jeans to school anymore and don't complain. If it never says that, then you can complain to the school but to sue is too much in my opinion. Although, suspending her was too far if that's the first time she's done it, they could've just had her change.

2|0
    0|0
  • This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. No you shouldn't sue the school. No schools suspend anyone for a first time dress code offense and your child was probably sent home with several warnings before this happened. It's pretty simple. Follow the dress code rule, it's set up for a reason. Since when does fashion override any kind of rule?

0|0
    0|0
  • No, she needs to stop being a little hoochie and follow the rules.
    It’s the schools rules, it’s listed in their handbook. Why would you attempt to sue a school over their rules?

2|3
    0|0
  • You should get over yourself and have your daughter dress properly. It's SCHOOL not a damn runway or catwalk.

3|4
    0|1
  • It also depends on where it’s ripped. Is it near the crotch? When she puts her hands straight down is the rip above her fingertips? if yes, then it’s indecent and inappropriate to wear to school.

There are two streams of fashion: a high class type and a trashy type. Ripped jeans are trashy AF. Teach her to respect authority.

0|4
    0|0
  • Suing takes a long time. I’d talk to the school and if nothing I’d transfer her. Are you sure that’s the reason tho? That seem a little extreme. Maybe your daughter is not telling the whole truth.

0|1
    0|0
  • Is it in the handbook not to wear them? Was she told this was going to happen if she wore them?

0|3
    0|0
  • I don't think you should (or even can) sue the school. If the school didn't want ripped jeans, then I'm pretty sure they've announced it (or else it wouldn't of been a big deal). Some schools are very weird like that. I know one of my friends can't dye her hair because of her school.

0|1
    0|0
  • This is like the episode of dumb and dumber, but worse

2|4
    0|0
  • Was she being a disrespectful jerk about it? Were you?

1|1
    0|0
    • I was nice about it. there was more people there with rip jeans

• You can’t sure the school because your daughter violated the dress code. My district has the same rule. I don’t think they get suspended though. They just have to go home and change but maybe read the rules and follow them so this doesn’t happen again.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, the school has guide lines in terms of what children can wear. you're child is there for an education, not a catwalk. They should follow discipline and rules.

1|2
    0|1
  • They should've called the fashion police, ripped jeans look stupid

3|4
    0|2
    • I find it hilarious, as a designer, that ripped jeans is considered "fashion". It's hideous.

• All schools have dress codes that students must follow and thats just the rules. If anything talk to the school about changing there policy but if you sued it would be a big waste if time. Rules are rules.

0|0
    0|0
  • Your main fault in your argument: "it's fashion"

No, it's dress code.

If you had said "we can't afford to get new jeans every time they get a little hole in them" then maybe I'd support you.

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on where the rips were. At my high school they didn’t care as long it was knees or lower. Now they made a girl call home and change for having a rip along her panty line in the front which is in my opinion agreeable

0|0
    0|0
  • My schools policy says we can’t wear ripped jeans so if your school policy says that too then it’s your kids fault🤷🏼‍♀️ just because it’s fashion doesn’t mean it’s fine to go agains rules.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Schools usually have dress codes. They typically don’t allow ripped jeans. She can wear that outside of school.

1|1
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes