Is plastic surgery justified when someone has a serious medical problem?

And not done for aesthetic reasons or for vanity? I mean what if someone has been a burn victim or has some deformity or suffers from premature ageing? I'm afraid I suffer from the latest (premature ageing/also known as adult progeria or Werner's syndrome). I'm just 20 years old yet people think I'm much older than my age.

(Some of them think I'm also my age or early 20s but this is rare. Most of the time they think I'm in my late 20s and person just said today I look 35-40. If I have such a serious problem, isn't plastic surgery justified in my case?

(Note: I wanted to post some pics of me but I'm Level 1 so I'm not allowed. So please click on a link on my profile and tell me your opinion)

This is a serious concern of mine

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• if burns victim or deformities that effect your ability to function or enjoy life

there is absolutely nothing wrong with your looks, I would say you look 18 - 19 tbh
    if it is what you feel is the right path then yes it's justified, but only do it if it is what YOU want not cos people have called you old or any other things that could hurt
    people can be mean and ignorant in many things
    some even say things which are untrue and can cause a lot of negativity and even push those who it hurts to do things which they dont need to do...
    those people are just unhappy with their life and they feel like they should berate someone so that they can feel better about themselves

nothing wrong with your pic at all

1|0
    0|0
  • its justified to anyone who wants to get it and can afford to do so.
    fun thing about a free country is that folks are pretty much open to do whatever they want with their money and body.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Plastic surgery is always justified. Other different thing is if someone would get surgery or not in X circumstances, but that subjective. In your case, you can do surgery if you want or feel you need it or because of doctors recommend it. Looking at your profile photo you look in your 20's and you don't remind me to kids I saw with progeria like this one

cdn.britannica.com/.../197017-004-438EAE74.jpg

However, maybe is only the photo or maybe you have a lower degree of progeria. So do what you think is going to make you feel better with yourself.

1|0
    0|0
  • Oh course. Yes. I mean, in some of those cases plastic surgery is what keeps the scar tissue from binding the person up.

Personally, I think it's up to the person if they want elective plastic surgery. It doesn't hurt me any.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 22

• Absolutely! Even if it's just something that would make you feel more desirable. Don't not get plastic surgery, just because some ham-fisted G@G contributor is goes on a rant about natural beauty; everyone is holier than thou online.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. It is completely justified especially when taking injury into account. It's hard enough that a burn victim suffered the way that they did by someone truly vial trying to ruin their life. But to deny them the ability to go back to living a normal existence is truly abhorred. They should live a proper life just like everyone around them.

0|0
    0|0
  • 'Surgery' should actually be for patients with some illness, accident that causes deformity or disorder in the normal functioning of a human. So sure, plastic surgery should be for medical treatment not for fashion.

1|0
    0|0
  • Ok my mum had plastic surgery after she had a masectomy.

However you are being silly. Apart from the fact that I don't see what you do. You look your age, if this is something that bothers you do you ask people to guess your age?

I think you may have a case of body dysmorphic dissorder but you need to go to a doctor for that. I mean you kinda just roped yourself with people who are disfigured and that's a red flag.

0|0
    0|0
  • If your trying to get insurance to pay for it then fat chance. Usually it has to impair your ability to function or Is life threatening from what I recall. My leg is somewhat deformed visually due to massive scars from a car accident. Insurance won't touch it.

0|0
    0|0
  • You don't even look 20, your like 18 or 19, the people who are you telling you this are surely half or totally blind... your a cute young girl, that's all

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes and no as some people jist have body issues and some are getting rid of old scars that have caused some emotions to them

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it's perfectly fine. I had a co-worker who had an accident and has has a few to fix his appearance cause he had bone deformities

1|0
    0|0
  • You look fine. It's not like you even remotely look 40.

2|0
    0|0
  • I'm pretty sure that's the original intention for plastic surgery.

Getting plastic surgery just to change your appearance is not what it's originally meant for

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 15

• Plastic surgery unjustified? Your body, your choice. You can do whatever you want and you don't have to justify it to anyone. As long as your budget allows it and you don't exagerate with it I don't see the problem.

1|0
    0|0
  • Why shouldn’t it be justified. It definitely is. And even if done for vanity, if it makes you happy. But I think it is ashame if it is people completely chaning their look, ending up looking like weird barbie dolls. But you don’t look old, I don’t know why you got that idea. You look like a beautiful young girl.

1|0
    0|0
  • Plastic surgery is justified no matter the reason. It's none of our business to tell anyone else what they can or cannot do with their own body.
    Most people have plastic surgery done for mental health reasons, like improving their confidence and security in their own body and that's perfectly fine.

I don't think you look that old at all by the way, I would have guessed you between 18 & 24 but definitely not 35 hahaha that person must have lost their glasses

1|0
    0|0
  • Just cause people assume you're older doesn't mean you have those syndromes, people just think you're older and that's okay. People think im 18/19 but im really 26. Leave your face alone girl, you're fine.

1|0
    0|0
  • I never thought it was a problem for medical reasons or in extremely serious cases that just require it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Plastic surgery doesn’t need justification... you want to feel good about yourself. Know the dangers do your research and fix what bothers you.
    You need confidence every single day of your life. No one can tell you how to get some. So figure it out your own way. If surgery does it have at it!

0|0
    0|0
  • If it's something that bothers you than it's justified.

0|0
    0|0
  • plastic surgery was invented for medical reasons so

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure I know a woman who got breast implants after going through breast cancer to make herself feel more like a woman.

0|0
    0|0
  • Plastic surgery doesn't need to be justified.

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes