Is it shallow to not want to be friends with somebody because they have poor hygiene?

I told my mum I did not want too be friends with this girl because she has poor hygiene.

My mum told me that is very shallow of me. I disagree with what she said though and I think it was not shallow.

because if you google the definition of shallow it tells you

"An example of a shallow person is somebody who only cares for looks and money"

Looks and hygiene are not the same thing

and money and hygiene is also not the same thing
  • Yes, it is shallow
    Vote A
  • No, it is not shallow
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• You are splitting hairs, you know what your mum meant that said sometimes it is tough to get close to someone that smells

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I like to spend time with people who have similar values to me. If a friend doesn't smell good or dresses in dirty clothes because he/she is too lazy to be clean, then that's not the same values. so it's not shallow, it's standards.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it's not. Do you really want to hang around someone who doesn't take care of themself properly? Just pointing it out. It's like having skunk spray stuck in your nose whenever you hang out with them.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• I don't think that's shallow. If someone decides not to take care of themself, then why should others consider taking stock in that person?

0|0
    0|0
  • YOU get to decide whom you wish to be friends with. Not your mommy.

1|0
    0|0
  • depends just how rank they are but ultimately its your choice who you associate with

0|0
    0|0
  • No it isn't shallow

1|0
    0|0
  • No?,

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it is shallow

0|0
    0|0
  • Does she wear dirty clothes you mean

0|0
    0|0
  • It's shallow, but being shallow is fine.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 11

• I feel like shallow isn't the right word, more like sad or something, like if u imagined being the girl she probably doesn't know she stinks and feels like everyone doesn't like her bc of her personality or whatvr instead of knowing its the hygiene thing

0|0
    0|0
  • aside from her hygiene issues did you enjoy her personality? were you like minded? enjoy the same things? Have fun together? or did her hygiene prevent you from even getting to know her and become a friend?

0|0
    0|0
  • If someone has bad hygiene it means they don't take care of themselves and that is not something i would want to be associated with its not shallow!

0|1
    0|0
  • What kind of poor hygiene? Like BO? Dirty clothes? I’d understand if she smelled bad. I would keep my distance too lol

0|0
    0|0
  • No that is not the definition of shallow.
    That person is gonna fail in life if she doesn't learn to take care of herself.

0|0
    0|0
  • What do you mean are her clothes filthy does she smell like cooter? Maybe you can help her

0|0
    0|0
  • If you can’t stand their smell then just stay away that’s definitely not shallow

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not shallow at all. That's just disgusting.

0|0
    0|0
  • No it is not shallow. Especially if she stinks.

0|0
    0|0
  • No.. If it's for hygiene and not looks it's not shallow

0|0
    0|0
  • Poor hygiene makes people uncomfortable so no it's not shallow. However, before giving up on the friendship have a sit down with them first about their hygiene. If it doesn't work out then you can say you tried.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes