If being chubby/overweight can be attractive, why do people almost always try to make themselves look as slim as possible in photos?

... No matter how overweight they are?
more answers
Guys... this is a rhetorical question here. Thank you for all the answers; they've been interesting to peruse.

2837

Most Helpful Girls

• Fat people aren't the only people that try to make themselves look thinner for pics. Skinny people do it too using certain angles or lighting and so on. Different people find different body types attractive. I've been attracted to a few men in my life that were bigger. I actually find really skinny guys unattractive. And that's ok. It's my preference. Just like it's the preference of some to not find fat people attractive. But why do people really care if someone is to fat/to skinny? They don't have to date them or even like them. My problem is people have nothing better to do with their time but put others down because they don't like how they look. Someone please tell me what the pay off is? What do you get out of it? Other than looking like someone who picks on others imperfections to hide their own.

• But the point still stands, regardless of fat or not fat they or thrive for skinny

• I'm defending their right to figure it out without some snot nosed brat who's never gone through it degrading them because he doesn't understand everything involved with obesity. I'm simply defending to leave them alone if you don't have something encouraging to say and only critical and judgmental remarks that add to the problem. I'm telling you to get off your imaginary pedestal and worry about your own struggles and faults. They aren't provoking you to put them down. There's no need to judge people that didn't do anything to you to deserve your judgements and negative opinions. Grow up and learn to look into yourself instead of others. Its like women that like to wear sexy clothes and all the haters that can't think outside the tiny box they live in and call them sluts.

• P. S. I'm completely aware of why we live longer. The point being we can't live forever. So might as well have a little fun.😎🤹‍♀️✌

Most Helpful Guys

• Because society tells us that we must be a certain size to be considered attractive, but nothing is farther from the truth. Beauty and attraction is a wide spectrum, not just one or two idealized looks. But generally, this is what I believe causes people to "suck it in" so to speak when they are around others or are having their picture taken.

• ... Perhaps it's because people know that being overweight isn't attractive.

• You seem to be confusing all existent attractions as somehow being a majority or that they are equal. They are not. I understand and acknowledge that. I'm simply stating that many, many kinds of attraction exist... because they do. You have to realize as well that while many kinds of attractions exist, many of them are frowned upon by the very narrow cultural pressures that we live under. A narrow scope that does not represent all attractions that exist. The thing is, for people have an attraction that's deemed as not within the cultural "norm", they keep quiet about it out of fear of ridicule. Just like the ridicule of people with a certain body type, the people who are attracted to them, face the same fear of ridicule. Just because people stay quiet about the attractions they have, does not mean they don't exist. Because they most certainly do. Any sociological study that comes to the conclusion that beauty is not a spectrum is flawed or has come to a conclusion of confirmation bias.

• Sure, well-said.

I'll just point out that "the very narrow cultural pressures that we live under" exist because *that's what most people want.* Fat people don't want to be fat; if they could snap their fingers and be thin, they would.

• Because acceptance for other figures is still the subculture/minor narrative. Victoria's Secret has no plus line, Dove for all of their "look at all these different figures" still doctors their images and uses "curvy" not "fat" models, and most models still are that thin and tall shape, groups and agencies have to go out of their way to have runways of people, women especially, who aren't 5'10+ with a non-existent waist and a 36D bust or in men's case, no thighs in skinny jeans. Even when I was fit with abs I had no shot in fitting the popular styles and clothes. Acceptance in some people, doesn't mean acceptance in the overall culture.