Why do white people tan? Is brown skin better?

If beauty standards are eurocentric why the heck do people tan? I thought skin was beautiful ideal or is it just about the white or European facial features and not skin color?
Updates:
7d
I thought white skin was beauty ideal*
7d
My question is actually that if we we have eurocentic beauty standards which we of course do why do people tan if white skin is considered better. or is it not about the color of skin but the features of white people.

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• We always want what we don’t have. Society tells us how we should look... I am so white I get called clear lol growing up hated wearing shorts people would tease about being blinded by the whiteness... I’ve tried tanning etc but I've finally just decided to embrace my pale self

0|0
    0|0
  • All beauty standards change and every few years there's a new idea of what's considered beautiful. Lately the ideal for white people is the "sunkissed tan" sort of look so people tan to try and achieve that

0|0
    1|0
  • To be honest, my skin never becomes "tanned". If i stay in the sun for too long, it will simply burn and peel off. So I never got that sun kissed look that everyone's trying to achieve nowadays. But it's ok, because exposing your skin to the sun for too long is unhealthy and can cause cancer. So be happy what you have and don't give a damn on what others consider beautiful.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 8

• Because the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Also we used it have the same association with fairness representing wealth (as it meant you could afford not to work outdoors) but it's been a while since that was a reality in the west so it's been more or less forgotten in my opinion.

1|0
    0|0
  • My skin burns. Always burns.
    To answer your question: NO. Fairness was seen as a sign of wealth. Tan was seen as people being too poor having to work the fields. Now it is seen as a sign of health. I just stay away because I burn.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its a mindset actually also they want vitamins from the sun. Pale people who lack exposure from the sun gets wrinkly faster.

0|0
    1|0
    • 7d

Because unlike the early times, the world has a better connection now so skin color doesn't really matter unless you're racist.

• Eurocentric beauty standards are a black supremacist myth.

0|0
    0|1
  • No, and if you're not very careful you get skin cancer.

0|0
    0|0
  • Spanish and Italians are usually tanned, they're also one of the most desired group.

0|0
    0|0
  • l burn

0|0
    0|0
  • Up North, where blue eyes, white skin and blond hair are common, being tan is considered aesthetic. Down South, it's the opposite. (I'm not talking about the US)

In the US, the optimal skin color for a guy is mulatto, like Jeremy Meeks. For a women, it's lighter (according to most people's tastes)

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes