Does being too pretty and fashionable make you unlikable?

I'm at university, and in the first week of term some of the people there kept going on about how pretty I am and how young I look for my age, they also kept complimenting my clothes and telling me I was so stylish, boohoo chic. I've noticed that other girls are giving me side glances or ignoring me, some shocked when they see me then dash off. It's a really weird environment. I've done nothing wrong, well not that I can think of I've been rather nice... can't quite catch a break. And no this isn't me making a thing about my looks as I prefer people not complimenting me as I feel rather uncomfortable with it.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Seems to be that thing where female dislike other female being competition

3|0
    1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Girls can be really mean to other girls. Girls are intimidated by pretty girls. I can relate.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 11

• Hmmm... well i had something similar but could be unrelated, i had a few girls who used to hang about with me and chat to me... then i lost weight, started dressing more snappy and suddenly... unless they are on there own they won't speak to me. Never really realised what it was, maybe i just turned into more a dick, but odd that 4 (and 1 doesn't even talk to the other 3) would suddenly stop talking to me. They all have bfs so i just took it that before they could write me off as being fat, but now am not that fat bloke they hang about with to there bfs i am a nice looking guy maybe? fuck knows... people suck

1|0
    0|0
    • @miagrover can you stop spamming my post I'm going to report you

• Too (anything) means it causes problems. sounds like that is true for you, if only in your own head. Teat your hypothesis by dressing down, and seeing if that makes you more comfortable with your peers. Play down your best features, forgo makeup, wear less stylish, more casual clothing.

If you feel more comfortable, and you get the social reactions you want, then there you go. You now have another way to fit in. Save the haute couture and warpaint for when you want to stand out.

1|0
    0|0
  • yes it does
    beingtoo good looking intimidates people too much so they dont wanna hand out with you because u are better then them
    i know it by myself too
    you know it too i see

1|0
    0|0
    • @miagrover
      i dont have instagram the link doesnteven work for me

• Show All
    • @miagrover she is but she is not as beautifull as those other 2
      meaby beacause i dont really like short hair girls and she has short hair

• @miagrover its overall face and hair :)

• This isn't me making a thing about my looks but am I too good looking lol.

1|0
    3|0
  • You're serious competition, they're worried and quite jealous.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd like to meet the narcissistic person that thinks they're too pretty to be liked by others.

0|1
    3|0
  • do not give a fuck hun you are a women
    not smart

its that simple

0|0
    3|0
  • That’s usually how it goes for me.

1|0
    0|0
  • yeah, if it also makes you conceited.

1|0
    0|0
  • This is standard women behavior. We need a Gilette ad to go over the toxic ways women treat each other...

1|0
    0|0
  • If you are with ugly people.

0|0
    1|0

What Girls Said 11

• It makes you unapproachable just because most girls at college age are figuring out how they feel about fashion and their bodies.

It's not about being unlikable, it just means a lot of people wouldn't even give you a chance to be either nice or mean.

1|0
    0|0
  • Throughout high school & college, I kept getting "Girl, are you for real?" and "Quit fakin' that nice girl image b'coz a pretty chic like you are probably just another nasty snob with all your white & Asian boy bodyguards!" I really wasn't anywhere like how they thought of me. Fortunately, a lot of them got to know me and realize that I was truly approachable, friendly, down-to-earth & not as intimidating as I look.

1|1
    0|0
  • Some women are jealous and negative people sadly but on the bright side you are not being judged unlike what happens to other people like there are loterally people who are complimented by their parents but then judged or unnoticed by almost everybody else

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably. Everyone likes to talk crap about attractive people... if there isn’t anything obvious usually people will try to pick to pick out anything that makes them flawed.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, but having an ego this huge sure as shit does. Dial it back a little.

0|0
    1|1
  • No there just jealous they talk about other people. Cause they feel inadequate.

1|0
    0|0
  • hmm more research must be done before a conclusion is reached. carry on, love

0|0
    0|0
  • I would think it makes you more lovable

1|0
    0|0
  • I mean you gain haters but nope

1|0
    0|0
  • i got a lot of side eye. my guy friend pointed it out to me and asked if i ever notice many women side eye me. as for dressing, i sometimes shop at boohoo, but i like Next or river island, etc. i kind of started dressing down so i wouldn't get so many "where are you going?" "where are you coming from?" "why are you dressed like that?" comments. but im slowly gaining back confidence. i liked how i dressed. girls can be really mean.

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe because they think you are stupid or selfish, girls that look too pretty usually have troubles being humble

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes