Can tattoos be overdone? Should some of it be hidden?

I don't have any tattoos but I am not opposed to others having them, of course.

I love the individuality in each person but I am just wondering from an aesthetics perspective... is it possible to go too far, even for art work?

Also, should nude graphic tattoo artwork, or other types that might be considered obscene, only go in places that will be hidden by clothing so that others are not exposed to it?

What is your opinion about this huge explosion in body art over the last several years.

• Can tattoos be overdone? Should some of it be hidden?A. Yes they can be overdone - BIG TIME!
    Vote A
  • Can tattoos be overdone? Should some of it be hidden?B. Nah, not really, it's just artwork, to each their own
    Vote B
  • Can tattoos be overdone? Should some of it be hidden?C. I think putting permanent ink on your body is gross, I would never even think about it!
    Vote C
  • Can tattoos be overdone? Should some of it be hidden?D. I would do it if it was temporary but never permanent
    Vote D
  • Can tattoos be overdone? Should some of it be hidden?E. I think a small tattoo here or there is ok, but not anything major
    Vote E
  • Can tattoos be overdone? Should some of it be hidden?F. I think any graphic, or obscene, nude tattoo should only be put on a part of the body that will not be seen by the public
    Vote F
  • Can tattoos be overdone? Should some of it be hidden?G. OTHER, see my comments below, or open the survey
    Vote G
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Good examples. That's a good visual cue for what I think is overdone/distasteful, and what is not.

All of the examples above are actually fine by me, with the exception of the guy near the top holding the coffee mug. I don't like facial tattoos and his design/coverage is ill-defined and grotesque to me. Same for the person in option D. The best I can say is at least the design is somewhat coherent, but it's still grotesque to me.

All the other examples are fine with their placement and coverage, with the exception of a couple tattoos of devils and skulls. I'm not religious at all, I'm just not into that kind of stuff. But overall, I find the women in the other examples to be quite attractive. 😊

As far as exposure is concerned, I believe that ideally, obscene or otherwise controversial tattoos should not be shown for everyone to see. However, if tastefully done and of a neutral design/subject, then I'm okay with seeing people's tattoos out in the open. Like you, I like the individuality of them, the story and individual importance of them, and what they mean and signify to that person. For the most part, I don't find tattoos at all offensive, so I have no problem with them. I believe it is a free society for people to choose whether they want to be inked and to show it to the world if they like. But again, only if they are in good taste...

But therein lies the problem: what is considered "good taste" in regards to the subject matter of a tattoo, its placement, the amount of tattoos and overall coverage, or even having any tattoos at all, is HIGHLY varied. What's considered "tasteful" is a massive sliding scale, depending on who you ask and what is "acceptable" for them.

However, being that there is a highly varyied range of acceptability, I think it is ultimately up to the person wearing their tattoos to decide what is enough for them.

But if I were an employer, as long as that person is qualified, is a decent person and is a good worker, I'd have no issue with hiring someone who is covered like in the examples above. Whether male or female. It doesn't bother me one bit. 😊

As for the explosion of tattoo popularity over the last 10-15 years in particular, for the most part, I'm cool with it.

However, with this sudden rise in interest, I see a lot of people getting them for the wrong reasons. Simply because they "look cool" or seem like a "trendy" thing to do. I see a lot of people getting random tattoos that have little meaning to them. I also hear a lot of people (as well as here on GAG) asking "what kind of tattoo (s) should I get?" In my opinion, people who do that are doing it for the wrong reasons. They are going to wind up with something that holds little meaning to them that seemed like a good idea at the time, and then later in life they are going to regret having it.

The best tattoos are the ones that hold a deep meaning or symbolism for that person. The type of tattoo you KNOW to the core of your soul that it is something you want tattooed on you forever... because it's something that speaks to you on a very deep and personal level. Those are the ones you cherish for a lifetime. Because it resonates with you deeper than just something that "looks cool".

Individualism is one thing, but ONLY if the tattoo you get speaks to you deeply to the core of who you are for a lifetime. When I see people asking what they should get, getting that tattoo (s) isn't a good choice, because it's something that doesn't speak to them on a deeper level. When you have something that does, you KNOW without a doubt inside and have no reason to ask other people about it. It's an intuition from the soul, not just a whim or a "feeling".

So that is the only issue I see with the current rise in popularity of getting tattoos. But overall, I believe it is, and can be, a good thing that can also be attractive. 😊🙂

But to me, tattoos are only good if they speak deeply to the person wearing them for life. Otherwise, they are frivolous.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• In my opinion just one tattoo that is easily hidden by clothing is already going to far. Because its permanent. Perhaps just a small heart or triangle shape is basic enough to be accepted, but I still feel like you could wake up one morning and decide you no longer like it. The only way to get that natural, unmodified looking skin back, is through major, expensive surgery. If you want artsy looking skin, get temporary fake tattoos, or draw them yourself with pen. Those pictures above dont even look like human beings anymore, they look like they have lizard scales.

1|0
    0|0
    • 4d

Agree 100% ... that is why I don't have any as well.

I rarely like the same thing all the time and to have something permanent is horrifying to me!

You are the first one that has said this, and I have been waiting.

I think some that said they didn't have any or don't like them maybe have the same reason as us but I am surprised that no one said it.

Good opinion! Thank you!

I see now why you already have a 34% rating :)

• 4d

Thanks for your appreciation :)

• 4d

You're welcome! :)

• If someone wants tattoos that’s fine. It’s their choice, but some people take it way too far.

1|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I am personally not tattooed either because I never felt the urge to have one done.

A few years ago, I thought that people that had tattoos (and piercings) were lacking character and only had them done because of group pressure, to be like the others, to show you were part of a society or gang or just because one wanted to express their opposition to society and established culture.

In the meantime, I have found that I was wrong and I had to revise my judgment. Tattoos are a way of expressing your uniqueness, your personality but also because certain people were rebels or to bear a piece of art.

However, I appreciate a decent and discreet tattoo that is not immediately visible and catching the eye whenever one looks at the person.

I abhor gawking and that applies as much for those that cannot avoid staring at less fortunate people with a physical challenge or disability as also those with a tattoo or piercing in such obvious places that people feel compelled to stare at them.

So, my opinion is: tattoo yes but discretion please. I love art and each tattoo as a unique masterpiece.

1|1
    0|0
  • A woman's body is like a painting of a Renaissance master - exquisite beauty. Tattoos are like freeway graffiti, and while the very best freeway graffiti isn't completely terrible, it still lowers the property value, while the majority is just god-awful.

Does anyone believe that spray-painting "Lil Uzivert" across the Mona Lisa would make it more attractive or increase its value? Me neither.

1|0
    1|0
  • Interesting numbers. I said B because I have seen people with a large amount of tattoos that all actually had meaning in their lives. And I do see that as art. I think your whole body can be tattood if you have significant meaning. Usualy those are dark and sad stories though... I do how ever think that the majority of tattoos are just stupid and over done. I hope people will start to think about what they are doing when they get one...

1|0
    0|0
  • When it comes to art and self expression there is no such thing as “going to far” or “doing too much”. There’s not even such thing as “doing too little” or “not enough”.

Whether it’s offensive to your own taste or not is a personal issue.

2|2
    0|0
  • I don't know about other guys, but i see girls with lots of tattoos as sexy. Thu, i agree that some parts of the body should not be tattooed, such like the face, neck and possibly the forearm, depending on the circumstances.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have tats, one on my forearm one on my shoulder, my work uniform cover them usually but they’re not a big deal here. Getting my thigh done when I can afford it. I don’t mind them except maybe the face, neck and hands but each their own pleasure... if you feel confident having your whole body inked why not?

1|0
    0|0
  • The second picture of a dude with his head tattoed - this is a man who tried to become the president of Czech Republic 😅😂

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

Wow!

I didn't know that!

I wonder why he wasn't elected? ... lol

• 5d

I guess he wasn't a good politician... But the young generation voted for him a lot 😂

• To me, I think a tattoo on a couple places on your body is good but past that it starts to cross the line for me especially when the sizes increase. I think a couple when they are medium to large size but little ones you can obviously have more of. But I think they should be able to be covered because tattoos at work at can tacky depending on the job

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm pretty much covered in tattoos (arms, legs, hands, fingers, and neck) I know some people don't like them and they aren't for everyone. There's a saying that I like that goes " the only difference between a person with tattoos and a person without tattoos is the person with tattoos doesn't care if you don't have any" It seems they're becoming more acceptable these days.

2|0
    0|0
  • I don't think there really is a right answer. It depends on the person and what they want to to, if they want to tattoo their whole body then sure thing go ahead, if you only want a small tattoo then sure. Your body, your rules.

1|1
    0|0
  • A, C, E, F. They certainly can be overdone, I would not have any done on me, small hidden tats would be fine, and any that are PG-13 or higher should be hide-able. That said, I DO appreciate some of the newer designs and skill required to make the actual rendering. As a Massage Therapist, it gives me something to look at or read as I give massages.

1|0
    0|0
  • It is usually highly recommended to get a tattoo in a place that can be easily covered due to work reasons. Tattoos are not obscene in any way unless the image is obscene (like white supremacy images like hanging of a black person). As for large amounts of tattoos. It is better to strategically place them. As for if there is such thing as too many... only if you run out of room ans start on your face

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes , too many tattoos can make someone not attractive as much , i used to have a huge crush on this girl and she didn't have any tatts years went by and I fan into her again and she was covered in them , I was in shock and thought to myself why would she do that she used to be so beautiful , she is still a beautiful person on the inside but attraction i bad for her was gone

1|0
    0|0
  • Too much of anything is poisonous. Tattoos are no different, it'll just be tasteless because it will be overwhelming.

4|0
    0|0
  • The Tattoo Horror Show

3|1
    0|1
  • Facial and neck tattoos are too much in my opinion and I wouldn't date a man who had them there but it's not my body so they can tattoo wherever they wish.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have tattoos that can all be covered by a shirt. I don’t like how popular face, neck or forearm tattoos are getting. Tattoos like that should be reserved for career criminals in my opinion it seems out of place on civilians.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's your personal choice and I'm not going to stop you but everyone should know actions have consequences and you shouldn't think you are immune to these just because "you are expressing yourself"

1|1
    0|1
  • I never liked face tattoos. I find them disgusting and so gross. Other then that too many tattoos becomes ugly too in my opinion.

2|0
    0|0
  • I can't say, as the only tattoo i have is a sign of 'om' on my hand

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the person. I'm not super into tattoos and they can definitely be overdone, but would be cool with it if we clicked.

1|0
    0|0
  • I hate tattoos especially on a woman's body, i like her body to be fresh, i'll give her tattoos when i bite her and kiss her haha 🤣

1|0
    0|0
  • I only like sleeves and maybe a small one on the neck or something, I personally only like tats on guys tho

1|0
    0|0
  • I think tattoos are gross. I'm never gonna do that cause if I get a tattoo, I won't be able to donate blood anymore. Plus it makes me look immature and unprofessional.

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

If you get a tattoo outside of a regulated shop, you only have to wait 6 months and you can give blood again. If it's a regulated shop, you can give blood as soon as the tattoo heals. I did exactly that in Virginia back in December

• Show All
    • 5d

@sasukeuchiha7
      How does a tattoo make someone immature and childish as you claim? What would you say tbe reason is for adults who are childish and immature that do not have any tattoos?

• 5d

I didn't say it makes people immature in general.
      Just to me personally, just like when I see someone smoking.
      Now I'm not gonna insult or criticize someone's choice to get one, it's totally fine. It's just not for me.

• The only thing I really draw the line at is face tattoos. Those are not for me.

1|1
    0|0
  • I don’t have any issues with them at all. I actually like them. I am not a fan of the ones on the face though.

1|1
    0|0
  • I think it’s No one’s business what someone does with their body. Doesn’t make anyone less of a person if they’re heavily tattooed or not 🤷‍♀️

1|0
    0|0
  • I am a tattoo fanatic. I love tattoos.

I think the face should be off limits, otherwise I'm fine with any well done tattoo.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sleeves=okay
    Neck=okay
    Face=idk
    Chest=okay
    Whole front=not okay
    Whole back=not okay

Sometimes it even depends on the tattoo

1|0
    0|1
  • it depends on person what they decide you can't change peoples minds but what i think is most important not all who have them are druggies or bad people

1|0
    0|0
  • They can definitely be overdone. I don't mind small meaningful ones though

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on where you are and what/where the tattoos are. But in the US it is considered unprofessional to have exposed tattoos. So anything that can't be covered up with pants and a long shirt are probably too much. Not including tattooed wedding bands. Also, most Christian groups are against it. But everything else is game. A lot of people love tattoos. Maybe try to keep away from anything that is political or might be confused as gang related. You might change your political views in the future (very common) and gang related tattoos generally don't go over well.

1|0
    0|0
  • Tattoos detract from my respect for you. They're gross, and the people you're showing in this question are physically repulsive because of it.

1|0
    2|0
  • I mean all the women are borderline my type with the whole body tattoo look. The face seems kind of risky Though

1|1
    0|0
  • Some tats are cool. If it’s all over your body, it can be tasteless. But a couple of them on the body can be good looking

1|0
    0|1
  • Most of those are cool, but the tattoos that show no skin is kinda ugly.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think anyone has a say in it apart from the body's owner

1|1
    0|0
  • I think a little one here or there is OK but when a woman with a beautiful body puts them all over her I never understand that

1|0
    0|0
  • Tattoos are so trendy that I am more impressed by someone who has none.

1|1
    0|0
  • ex was covered head to toe in ink. wasn't appealing at all

2|0
    0|0
  • It all depends. I think mostly there goof when it is 1 or 4 and kinda not big.
    But then a lot can look good like on some of these examples but when it covers your whole head like that guy nah.

Also nudes to show them is just simply showing off the artwork so that's fine.
    Also i think most tattoos should have a emotional connection to you rather than just a image of something you like.
    But each to there own with that.

Like i am gonna get about 5 i think and 4 will have a very deep meaning, then one not so much but still has a meaning to me since it is from a charter in something that i adore. Plus if you looked at you would just think oh that's a cool pattern so it works out even if people don't know what it is.

1|0
    0|0
  • yes it's bordering on obsession covering the whole body

1|0
    0|0
  • Believe it or not, the second dude ran for president of the Czech Republic

1|0
    0|0
  • I think some look nice whilst others look disgusting

1|0
    0|0
  • Tattoos are a slut tell.

Any women willing to impulsively degrade her beautiful body, lacks fixed morals and an internal compass.

0|1
    1|3
  • I think they are disgusting. When they get older some become gross looking.

1|1
    0|0
  • I'm all for tattoos anywhere you want, just as long as it isn't on the face and neck area.

1|0
    0|0
  • can be overdone but also very beautiful... try to keep them off your face lol

1|1
    0|0
  • what do u mean “go in places that are hidden by clothing so others aren’t exposed to it” ? So if ur getting a tattoo that requires you to be nude , it’s in the open where people can see u naked?

0|0
    0|0
    • 6d

I mean like a tattoo of a naked person for example... should it be hidden under clothing when in public depending on how graphic it is?

I think they make some really graphic ones.

• 6d

Ohhh ok I get it. Yea definitely I think it should be covered up for the sake of kids and Alain men and women who don’t want to be exposed to such content I guess

• 6d

Agreed... common courtesy :)

• Something called shit line border, meaning if you can hide it with pants and a sweater then it's all fine. Jobs have no right to know

1|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes