Can tattoos be overdone? Should some of it be hidden?

I don't have any tattoos but I am not opposed to others having them, of course.

I love the individuality in each person but I am just wondering from an aesthetics perspective... is it possible to go too far, even for art work?

Also, should nude graphic tattoo artwork, or other types that might be considered obscene, only go in places that will be hidden by clothing so that others are not exposed to it?

What is your opinion about this huge explosion in body art over the last several years.

• Can tattoos be overdone? Should some of it be hidden?A. Yes they can be overdone - BIG TIME!
  • Can tattoos be overdone? Should some of it be hidden?B. Nah, not really, it's just artwork, to each their own
  • Can tattoos be overdone? Should some of it be hidden?C. I think putting permanent ink on your body is gross, I would never even think about it!
    Vote C
  • Can tattoos be overdone? Should some of it be hidden?D. I would do it if it was temporary but never permanent
    Vote D
  • Can tattoos be overdone? Should some of it be hidden?E. I think a small tattoo here or there is ok, but not anything major
    Vote E
  • Can tattoos be overdone? Should some of it be hidden?F. I think any graphic, or obscene, nude tattoo should only be put on a part of the body that will not be seen by the public
    Vote F
  • Can tattoos be overdone? Should some of it be hidden?G. OTHER, see my comments below, or open the survey
    Vote G

2052

Most Helpful Guy

• Good examples. That's a good visual cue for what I think is overdone/distasteful, and what is not.

All of the examples above are actually fine by me, with the exception of the guy near the top holding the coffee mug. I don't like facial tattoos and his design/coverage is ill-defined and grotesque to me. Same for the person in option D. The best I can say is at least the design is somewhat coherent, but it's still grotesque to me.

All the other examples are fine with their placement and coverage, with the exception of a couple tattoos of devils and skulls. I'm not religious at all, I'm just not into that kind of stuff. But overall, I find the women in the other examples to be quite attractive. 😊

As far as exposure is concerned, I believe that ideally, obscene or otherwise controversial tattoos should not be shown for everyone to see. However, if tastefully done and of a neutral design/subject, then I'm okay with seeing people's tattoos out in the open. Like you, I like the individuality of them, the story and individual importance of them, and what they mean and signify to that person. For the most part, I don't find tattoos at all offensive, so I have no problem with them. I believe it is a free society for people to choose whether they want to be inked and to show it to the world if they like. But again, only if they are in good taste...

But therein lies the problem: what is considered "good taste" in regards to the subject matter of a tattoo, its placement, the amount of tattoos and overall coverage, or even having any tattoos at all, is HIGHLY varied. What's considered "tasteful" is a massive sliding scale, depending on who you ask and what is "acceptable" for them.

However, being that there is a highly varyied range of acceptability, I think it is ultimately up to the person wearing their tattoos to decide what is enough for them.

But if I were an employer, as long as that person is qualified, is a decent person and is a good worker, I'd have no issue with hiring someone who is covered like in the examples above. Whether male or female. It doesn't bother me one bit. 😊

As for the explosion of tattoo popularity over the last 10-15 years in particular, for the most part, I'm cool with it.

However, with this sudden rise in interest, I see a lot of people getting them for the wrong reasons. Simply because they "look cool" or seem like a "trendy" thing to do. I see a lot of people getting random tattoos that have little meaning to them. I also hear a lot of people (as well as here on GAG) asking "what kind of tattoo (s) should I get?" In my opinion, people who do that are doing it for the wrong reasons. They are going to wind up with something that holds little meaning to them that seemed like a good idea at the time, and then later in life they are going to regret having it.

The best tattoos are the ones that hold a deep meaning or symbolism for that person. The type of tattoo you KNOW to the core of your soul that it is something you want tattooed on you forever... because it's something that speaks to you on a very deep and personal level. Those are the ones you cherish for a lifetime. Because it resonates with you deeper than just something that "looks cool".

Individualism is one thing, but ONLY if the tattoo you get speaks to you deeply to the core of who you are for a lifetime. When I see people asking what they should get, getting that tattoo (s) isn't a good choice, because it's something that doesn't speak to them on a deeper level. When you have something that does, you KNOW without a doubt inside and have no reason to ask other people about it. It's an intuition from the soul, not just a whim or a "feeling".

So that is the only issue I see with the current rise in popularity of getting tattoos. But overall, I believe it is, and can be, a good thing that can also be attractive. 😊🙂

But to me, tattoos are only good if they speak deeply to the person wearing them for life. Otherwise, they are frivolous.

Most Helpful Girls

• In my opinion just one tattoo that is easily hidden by clothing is already going to far. Because its permanent. Perhaps just a small heart or triangle shape is basic enough to be accepted, but I still feel like you could wake up one morning and decide you no longer like it. The only way to get that natural, unmodified looking skin back, is through major, expensive surgery. If you want artsy looking skin, get temporary fake tattoos, or draw them yourself with pen. Those pictures above dont even look like human beings anymore, they look like they have lizard scales.

• 4d

Agree 100% ... that is why I don't have any as well.

I rarely like the same thing all the time and to have something permanent is horrifying to me!

You are the first one that has said this, and I have been waiting.

I think some that said they didn't have any or don't like them maybe have the same reason as us but I am surprised that no one said it.

Good opinion! Thank you!

I see now why you already have a 34% rating :)

• 4d

Thanks for your appreciation :)

• 4d

You're welcome! :)

• If someone wants tattoos that’s fine. It’s their choice, but some people take it way too far.