Should I try cutting layers in my hair myself?

Anonymous
I've never liked going to salons and haven't been to one in around a decade, plus with this COVID stuff going on and certain places choosing to remain closed, I'm not sure it's a viable option anyway.

I've trimmed my hair myself for years and do fine with that, but I'm getting sick of having it at one length since it's thick and is less manageable and doesn't lay as nicely without layers (it is down to the middle of my back). I tried cutting layers in it as a teenager when I was much braver and had no worries about looking professional and it turned out decent, but that was over 10 years ago and I don't really remember how I did it. I'm not super picky about my hair so if push comes to shove, I can just cut it to my shoulders, but I don't want to make a really stupid decision and have to get it super short or anything like that.

Do you think I should give it a try, or just wait and suck it up and go to a salon?
4
2