Polished nails a must for first date?

Going on a first date. My friend says a girl must always have her nails polished. Is this true? Mine are long and natural (no tips) and not polished. Should I clip and or paint them? I like them long and they are shaped well...

1211

Most Helpful Girl

• Lol @ girls saying shape them and buff them and apply a clear/sheer polish. If you're going to do all of that you might as well do a color. Anyway, guys say they don't care or notice but I think they do notice it on a subconscious level. Guys love when girls beautify themselves. I'm not saying they dislike tom-boy low maintenance girls but usually prefer girlie girls. So polishing your nails wouldn't hurt.

What Guys Said 11

• No, I don't agree with your friend. They don't have to be polished.

• I'm a hand and nails guy, so I say definitely yes for the date. I would def notice. But then I would always press you to keep doing them and not stop painting or getting them done lol.

• just make them look normal and clean , no fake things and no paint :)

• I'm a very observant guy. I notice a girl's hair, clothes shoes, makeup etc. I can honestly say that even though it's always nice when a girl has nail polish it doesn't bring much to the date other than 'that's a nice colour'. It's harder to discuss nail colour than her hair, clothes, makeup - those things you could talk about endlessly with different topics. I wouldn't be at all turned off if a girl didn't paint her nails for a date.

• I dont think it matters. I guess if the guy is superficial then it matters, i'm assuming your friend is too. Do what you want. Worrying about nails tells me you must be very young, grown men dont care

• Well its best to look as striking as possible but i dont think nails are a necessity

• well personally, I notice small things like this. It's not gonna kill it, but it's worth doing.

• It depends on what the guy is like. Most won't really care it doesn't matter. It's all about the conversation.

• No, if they are clean and well kept I think you'd be fine.

• Never noticed stuff like that.

• If they're shaped well you'll be fine. Honestly most guys would be paying more attention to your body than your nails!

What Girls Said 11

• I think the last thing a girl will look at is your nails. Too much can scream "high maintenace" if not done right. Worry wbout more important things such as make-up, hair, etc.

• make sure they're shaped and clean. I've become a fan of clear/slightly shimmery nail polish?

like, its transparent, but it really looks.. clean and elegant?

also, make sure your hands are hydrated. crocodile hands are the worst.

• Nope nope you don't have to. some people just hate to see polished nails, so I think it's better if you don't wear them on a first date.

• As long as their presentable it's fine

• It's always good to pay attention to little details like painting your nails on a first date. Some guys notice everything, and if you have a good manicure they may think that you are tidy and take care of your appearance. It isn't a must, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

• clean them well and buff them or put on a clear coat of nail polish.

• try something cool and make him notice it! link

• i am self conscious about my toe nails if I'm wearing heels or sandals i have to paint them other wise i won't go swimming or wear toe showing shoes

• I don't think a lot of guys notice that stuff unless their gay or have major OCD about how a woman's nails look. Lol.

• make sure they're clean and you don't have to paint them...that part is not a must but just make sure its clean and nicely shaped.

• i never polish my nails...