How often do you wash your hair?

Got into a discussion today about how often hair should be washed...

Was curious what a broader cross-section would say...
  • Everyday
  • Every other day
  • Whenever it feels dirty
    Vote C
  • Once a week
    Vote D
  • I'm bald, why ask such a mean Question!!
    Vote E

248

Most Helpful Girl

• i have curly hair, so I wash it at most every other day but ideally I should be washing it every 3-4 days. If I'm wearing my hair curly, I'll skip using shampoo because my hair is so fine that oil rolls right off with water and shampoo strips even necessary oils right off. if I can afford it, I buy cleansing conditioners.

how often and how you wash your hair depends on your hair type.

"ethnic" hair types like mine require minimal washing, mostly thanks to evolutionary developments in hair through genetics. curly hair doesn't retain heat from the sun (which is why its native to more common in desert/tropical climates), so my hair is less likely to get oily than my straight haired counter part because it doesn't allow for the same production of sweat. thick curly hair often doesn't create much oil and both curly and thick hair don't often create enough oils to saturate from scalp to end, which is also why they don't need to be washed often. since I have fine curly hair, it does allow for more sweat to build, but the molecular structure of curls doesn't allow it to travel far (so it all stays at the roots lol) and so I don't need much of a wash.

straight hair locks in heat (which is why its more common in colder and more temperate climates) so when in warmer areas, it allows for sweat to build and because its straight it tends to travel faster down the strand along with essential oils. so people with straight or wavy hair often need to wash their hair more often-- but then thicker straight hair tends to keep build up at the root and doesn't need to be washed too often.