A guy who goes hot and then cold?

Anonymous
He never initiates contact (we've been talking for almost a month almost every day though) so I keep telling myself that I should give up. But the thing is, every time we do start a conversation, he's really into it. He listens attentively, sends me funny pictures and videos, he asks me a lot of questions, volunteers information about himself, and like yesterday, we chatted ALL DAY. Like, we started chatting in the morning and we chatted until 3am.

He's said in the past that he wants to get to know me better and that he'd like to go on a date with me in the future, so I know that he doesn't dislike me. But why won't he initiate contact if I don't? I tried not talking to him for two days and he never initiated, but when I gave up and messaged him he was back at it instantly, responding quickly and talking about interesting things!
A guy who goes hot and then cold?
2
3