Why doesn't he talk to me anymore? Are we no longer friends?

Anonymous
This is going to be a long post.

I've had feelings for a close guy friend of mine for some time now. A few months back, he was trying to get over a girl who he liked a lot but was rejected by, and I was his support system throughout the entire time. We got very close and he eventually developed feelings for me as well. But he wasn't willing to commit since he wasn't sure about his feelings for me, and wasn't ready for a relationship in general. He told me that something could happen between us later on, if he was ready. I strongly suspected that he didn't really like me a lot, but I was a rebound of some sort, and that he hadn't fully gotten over the girl he liked. I liked him nonetheless, and a part of me thought he would resolve his issues soon and something could happen between us, given enough time.

My suspicions were true, because the previous girl in question later told him that he started liking him as well. This rekindled his feelings for her, so now even if they aren't dating officially (they have other personal issues in their own lives), they have something going on.

He explained the situation to me, and explained that he had confused his need for support as feelings for me. I was upset, but I tried to be happy for them and am trying to get over him. The problem is, he stopped talking to me. He doesn't call or text and in the rare occurrence that we talk, the conversations are short and abrupt. He no longer shares his problems with me, and seems unwilling to communicate, in general.

Regardless of everything that happened, he is one of my closest friends (at least, that's what I felt) and I don't want to lose him. Did he stop talking to me because he doesn't want to remain friends? Or is he taking some time off or something? Or does he think I'm creepy and wants distance? O. o Should I try talking about this with him, or should I stop trying to maintain contact?

Thank you for taking your time to read through all of this!
1
1