Approached a girl at home depot and she kind of just walked away?

Anonymous
Ok so I was in the lumber section of home depot today and I saw this cute girl and I went over and talked to her. She had some wood in her cart and I asked her what she was building and she said occasionally she makes little projects. I told her about how I had a wood working shop and I also like building things. After that I told her she had pretty eyes and she was like thank you and then one of the home depot associates came over and handed her something. I guess she was waiting for him to help her and then she was like well have fun and walked away. lol Why did she just walk away after that? I didn't want to be like well hey I'd like to get your number after I had a 45 second conversation with her. What do you think? She just wasn't interested or didn't realize I was trying to hit on her? This kind of thing has happened more than once and I'm trying to figure out how I can at least ask get to the point of asking for the girls number.
1
3