Girls, do you avoid someone you like because your afraid of falling in love from a previous bad breakup?

Izzy1
I've known this girl for two years. We are 21 years old. We're in college. She was with her boyfriend for a year. She broke up with him cause he didn't let her breathe. She told me it was a real bad breakup. Possibly her first "love". Months after her breakup, we started to like each other. I asked her out one day but she turned me down. We remained friends. She started to avoid me. Like not hanging out anymore and such. So, We text regularly on the phone. She doesn't even want to talk on the phone. She told me she's scared to fall in love again. She also said she wants a relationship but wants to wait for faith or fate. I know there's other girls out there but I want to know if she's avoiding me because she's afraid of falling in love with me.
5
1