Does this boy actually like me or is he just leading me on?

cherry_22
There's a boy in my class that is always flirting with me. He's kept it up for about 2 months now. He'll always calls my name in class and says hi, or he'll stare and look away and he compliments me a lot.
At first I thought he was just playing around because he has a reputation for being a goofball, but he's always tries to sit next to me and one day he even got real close and put his arm around me. at that point I started to think that he actually does like me, but when I told some of my friends about it they said he usually only dates preppy girls, which I am not (he is also a tall football player). I also find it weird that some days he'll try to get my attention and talk to me, but some days he won't do anything at all. I don't like him that way but I do want to ask him about it, but I don't want to look like a fool if the whole thing was just a joke.
2
1