Why did he decide to strike up a conversation now?

Anonymous
I'm in grad school & I work on campus. I've been at my job for about 2 years. I don't like the bathroom on my floor so, I always go to the one downstairs. There's a guy about my age who works on that floor. He doesn't know me but, he always say hi when he sees me. Most of the time, it's with a smile. He's been doing that for about as long as I've been at my job. Earlier this week, I was about to pull open the door to the stairwell when he pushed it open from the other side. Luckily, he didn't hit me with the door but, he got scared when he saw that he almost did & said "Oh! I'm sorry!" & apologized continuously. I told him that it was ok & then after he settled down he asked "How are you?" I answered him, asked him how he was doing, he answered me & then he proceeded to ask "How was your break?" (meaning winter break which we just got back from). I answered him and then I asked about his. He responded, we spoke briefly and we laughed quite a bit during the conversation. Then we each went our separate ways. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but, what do you guys think about the fact that he struck up a conversation this time around? He had never done so before (maybe because we're usually working). Do you think it was because he wanted to make up for almost hitting me with the door or do you think that it's possible that he had always wanted to talk to me and saw this as an opportunity to do so? I saw him the next day and he waved hi to me but, didn't do or say anything else because he was on a work-related call.
Why did he decide to strike up a conversation now?
Add Opinion