What are ways to start a conversation with a girl whether it is in person or over text?

NickyP23
I have trouble with this aspect of girls. I have a mental block that doesn't want me to text a girl a like saying, "Hey what's up?" Is it fine to just text that to her? Also, in person, what do I say to start a conversation? I don't want to talk about school all the time even if we are in school at the time that I see her.
The reason I am asking this is because her best friend said that if I talk to her more then I have a great chance of her saying yes to me when I ask her to prom. Apparently this mutual friend of ours says that my crush tries to make conversation with me, but I don't talk. That's a lie because I love talking to this girl, I just don't know what to say and then the conversation fades...
1
2