Mixed Signals from a Mature Man?

Anonymous
I met a man online about two months ago. He is 45 years old, never been married with one grown son (that he raised on his own since the child was one years old). During the course of one of our dates he explained to me that he "was 45 years old, had raised his son and was ready to "do him" and not ready to be tied down." I respected and heard what he said. I feel that if that is what he wants, he should be allowed to live that with no judgement. BUT... I told him, that I too was 45, had raised my child and was ready to find a partner to travel with, live life with, lay on the couch with on Saturday mornings. I explained that I was not necessarily looking for marriage... but I did want a man. I told him that I thought it best, since we wanted two different things that we go our separate ways. It was a friendly goodbye and he asked if it would be ok if he reached out to me from time to time to say hello. About a week later, he sent me a text which evolved to a meeting. His actions when we are together speak "relationship" and "I am in to you" but I keep in mind the words he has spoken and try to stay in the proper emotional place. He is very attentive, when I try to leave he does not want me to go, he's extremely affectionate to the point of me having to pry his arm or leg off of me if I have to go use the restroom or something. I don't want for anything while I'm in his company, even if it's something as small as a glass of water... BUT BUT BUT here is the perplexing part: he pulls back (stops communicating) for days at a time and I see he is still "online shopping" on the dating site that I met him on.

Sometimes men are afraid of commitment, I get that and I have never pushed him for that. Like I said, I offered him the space to go do him and although he has never been married before he was had a few long term "live in" relationships.

I am just baffled by the mixed signals... the little cocoon of us he makes when we are together and then the total detachment.
Mixed Signals from a Mature Man?
1
4