How should I start a conversation with a cute guy? Do guys like a girl to initiate things?

Anonymous
Okay, there's a really cute guy in one of my classes. There have been moments when I catch him looking right at me just kinda staring. Also, once at a place to eat on campus he went of his way to throw something in a trashcan that was near to door I was leaving out of and just looked at me. I see him all over the place and really want to start a conversation but he's always with a group of guys and never alone. I'm shy and I'm not fond of the idea of walking up to him with his friends and having them just kinda stare. So my question is what should I do to initiate a conversation with him and possibly get his number?

And also guys....do you like when a girl comes up to you to initiate conversation for it to potentially go somewhere?
Yes, I love the confidence
No, It's kind of awkward
GirlGuy
5
1