My work colleague asked me out to the Movies and I laughed and said no, was that a bit harsh?

Anonymous
Okay well two days ago on Friday , I was at work and one of my work friends whom I get a long with asked me out to go to the movies with him. He's bit of a shit talker and always joking around so I took it as a joke. It was the way he asked me... ''Hey me and you are going to the movies tomorrow at 8:40pm aye'' is what he said. So I just laughed and said ''No were not''. He started to crack up laughing but then he went and told my other work colleague's about us going to the movies. That still didn't change my mind i'm pretty straight forward. But then the next day (Saturday) he mentioned it again and i'm starting to think that he was being serious about it but his approach made me think otherwise. I'm one for not noticing things when it's obvious and maybe thats what makes me naive in the situation. My work mates told me that it was going to be his birthday on Monday at first I thought it was all a co-incidence into tricking me to go with him as a ''present'' but I still said no. I don't have any emotional feelings for him at all but he is a friend so i'm just wondering if I was a bit too harsh and stubborn. I did consider the thought of going but I knew that if I did everyone at work will start calling us a ''thing'' and talking about us... frankly I wouldn't give a shit and you guys might think this is nothing to concern myself with but it does involve me so I can't be a blunt bitch, haha.

Just to clear up anything i've missed: I work two days a week (Friday and Saturday) because I study throughout the rest. I'm 19 and he is 21.
5
0