When people mirror your facial expressions / body language, what does it mean? 🤔🤔?

What does it mean? I'm curious.

I've also heard that Psychopaths are good at mirroring people, so that people believe that theyre normal humans with empathy.
  • It means they like the person (either as a friend or fancy them)
    Vote A
  • It means that the person has empathy for other people.
    Vote B
  • They're trying to relate to the person's emotions
    Vote C
  • Other (explain)
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
4d
I notice mostly guys who mirror my facial expressions when im either having a conversation with them or when they're just staring at me across the room.
For example, i widened my eyes and noticed that a guy who was looking at me widened his eyes back!
4d
Or when im having a bad day, and im frowning, that guy who stares at me a lot would mimic my facial expression; its the same when im happy and smiling!

0|2

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• Mirroring is tricky these days because it can be so many things.

Usually it's unconscious behaviour indicating interest in the other person. It's not necessarily about "fancying" the other person, just about connecting with them beyond a simple interaction.

I met a young woman in 2017 who is now a friend. We had been chatting for a few minutes when I realised we were both mirroring but there's a 20+ year age gap between us and I'm married. It was never about a "romantic" (sex) attraction, just that we connected.

Then there's the Sociopath (not psychopath) angle.

High functioning sociopathic behaviour can include learned mirroring behaviour to manipulate interactions due to their lack of empathy. The best way to spot them is to yawn. It's a subconscious behaviour that is often missed by them that the lack of empathy means they don't yawn back.

Then there's the "sales" side of things.

Mirroring has been taught to sales professionals for decades as a way to develop trust quickly and gain a sale. I sold insurance for a while and although the company used a different term it was mirroring we were taught to use.

"Players" use the same sales technique to get a girl.

So it could mean a connection, or attraction, or that you're talking to a sociopath or a salesman.

Trust your gut if you think you're being mirrored.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it means that they mirror you because they are used to you, it's something I've done with my friend, I've picked up some of his sayings and body language

1|0
    0|0
  • Kez as l have said before that guy is not very normal in other words he is taking the piss it seams he has no respect for you at all

1|0
    0|0
    • 4d

Do you think he's taking the piss?

• 3d

Honest truth kez he is a piss taker its not like me to swear but you are far to bright to be taken all that shit him and the rest of his crew are going no where in life you are you know what you would like to do all those guys do is waste there life in the gym or hanging out in shopping centers or arab coffee shops or even worse in the local police station

• 3d

Yeah thats true

• They bought a cheep psychology book and psychopaths are actually naturally charming

1|0
    0|0
  • It could be they want mimic you to cheer you up but it's hard to say

1|0
    0|0
  • Everyone is psychotic to some degree. It's scientifically proven.

1|0
    0|0
  • That you're in love with a mime?

2|0
    1|0
  • They like you. And tbh your very attractive 😉

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• it's usually attraction. i read an article a few weeks back and it said something on that. then a guy at the gym recently hit on me (don't do this, guys lol) and he began mirroring my changes in position and everything before asking for my number. it's definitely a thing.

1|0
    0|0
  • I aways thought it was because they were paying attention to you so much that they subconsciously would start to follow your expressions and body language

1|0
    0|0
  • I guess C. Could be A too, but it’s a weird way to act.

1|0
    0|0
  • I feel they are mocking me.

1|0
    0|0
  • They fancy you mostly :)

1|0
    0|0
  • They are a mime

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes