How can you tell if a man is just being “nice” on a first date or if he is actually interested?

Anonymous
I recently went on a date with a guy I met on Hinge. I’m from a city about an hour away and was staying at a friend’s house in his city. He asked for my phone number before the date was over (we kept all communication on the app before we met). I took a Lyft to a restaurant and met him there. He opened doors for me, dropped me off at my friend’s house, kissed me for about ten minutes, and then he texted me literally two minutes after he dropped me off to make sure I got inside okay (he watched me go in my friend’s house, so he knew I got in okay). He also texted me the next night to make sure I made it back to my city okay. He did ask me the next time I’d be in his city, but I said I didn’t know (because I don’t). Does it sound like he’s interested or that he was just being a nice guy? I’m only 24 and I’ve been in a LTR for a few years and I haven’t dated much. One of my friends also told me it made me seem like I wasn’t interested because I told him I didn’t know when I would be back to his city. That wasn’t the case - I truly don’t know when I’ll be back. Thanks for your input!
4
1