I assumed she liked me, I asked for her number, she said no. Can somebody explain this to me, please?

OK, so this classmate was giving me all the signals that she was interested, eye contact, fluttering eyelashes, smiles, teasing, talking, flirting (and she is a shy girl) so I assumed she liked me, I asked for her number, she said no. I decided to stop talking to her (why? I don't know, dignity?). She tried to talk to me, I responded but I wasn't very enthusiastic. She keeps giving me all this attention (especially when we are in a group) teasing me, making sarcastic comments directed at me, making fun of me, giving her opinion or making jokey remarks on conversations I'm holding with somebody else, etc. Finally I got tired of it and told her to just stop talking to me and go through her contact list and text or call somebody in there or talk to some other classmates, she got mad. Sometimes I will humor her and talk to her but if I'm not in the mood, I will tell her "why don't you go talk to somebody else and leave me alone?" and she gets so p*issed, I do it at least once a week. Now I ask, why do I get all this attention from her? She doesn't want to give her number, I'm assuming she is not interested, but she acts interested because she is sticking her nose in all my conversations. Does geography has anything to do with it? because it seems that as long as we are in school property, she gives me attention and wants to talk but as soon as I suggest texting or something outside of school, she doesn't want to do it. If the school gets demolished, she is gonna stop talking to me? If I tell her to f*ck off, she will keep trying, but why if there's no interest in her part?Can anybody shed any light in this situation?
+1 y
In my case, when I don't like a person like that, I don't go around teasing them and calling them names, I usually try to draw as little attention to me as possible. The fact that she goes around calling me names and being all sarcastic throws me off, I never undestood the whole "i don't like the person but I want their attention anyway" mentality.
1
2