I am so confused, are we just friends?

Anonymous
OK so there is this guy that I'm really good friends with and I always kind of had the gut feeling he liked me (which I am usually not terrible at being able to tell). And I look on those little lists like "10 signs he likes you as more than a friend" or stuff like that and he always fits the signs. For example, he asks me to come to his karate matches (which he doesn't ask his other friends to), he'll ask me to sit closer to him when we're next to each other, he gets into the things I like, always insists on paying, calls and texts me all the time, hangs out with me one on one, talks about me to his family, etc, etc, the list could go on forever. We don't live close and he will drive 1.5 hours to hang out with me for a few hours, he does things for me, he writes me letters, etc. But here's the thing. He has had plenty of opportunities to make a move, and he just won't. And it's not like he is really shy or anything I feel like he's the type of guy that would make a move if he wanted to. And he always emphasizes the fact that we are just friends and not dating. But then he also had an ongoing joke about us dating with one of our other friends which he eventually (reluctantly) told me about? I am seriously so confused, I just want to know. But I don't want to make things awkward by asking. So any advice as to what's really going on?
I am so confused, are we just friends?
Add Opinion