Do women expect men to carry conversations?

Like will women text guys or say hello to a man in person and then hope the guy will take it from there?

(Obviously this is a rhetorical question to some degree, as people generally know this to be true) My point with this question is to point to whether women sometimes put a kind of pressure on men to read their minds to an extent. Its no big thing to expect the man to lead, what confuses a situation however is when a woman has previously turned down a man's sexual advances, or maybe the two have just never gotten off toward that sort of dynamic; for a woman to then text a man deep in the night "how are you?", it leaves a man in a wtfsidwt(-should I do with this) sort of predicament. A rational adult male gets the hint that a woman is not usually just gonna say hi late in the night for it's own sake; but he also thinks to himself 'what exactly has changed since the last time this girl and I had an opportunity that didn't go anywhere?'
2
2