+1 y

I no longer have an understanding for my own situation. Help? Why is he doing this to me?

So, I've been seeing this guy for about a year. We were never exclusive, it was more of a friends with benefits relationship. When we first started, we had no intentions of becoming exclusive, because he was moving to another city, two hours away, and he didn't think that the distance would work. Although, he would send me random texts saying "I wish I had a GF." After he moved, it took about a month or 2 for us to speak with each other. Even then, it was occasional. About two months after that, the talking progressed. He told me he was coming to town, so we met up. We started talking every day, after that. Telling each other random things about our day. In the middle of summer, he came around more often. He stayed over my place for a weekend, and I spent a week with him at his new apartment.. because of that, I started to think that our relationship was beginning to progress even more. He even texted me once, saying "What if down the line, we got married?" which made me wonder where exactly we stood. I believe it was the end of August, he came around the area again, because he had to drop a friend off. We met up, kicked it for a couple of hours. Then he drove back to his place. I began to wonder if maybe we would make it an actual relationship soon. So, I texted him, asking where we stood. He said we were only friends who occasionally "did things," and I'll be honest. It did hurt, because I started to fall for him. I mean, after all, it's been a year, basically. He also said that he didn't want anyone to get attached. So, I told him that we should stop, and he agreed. So, I deleted his number from my phone.. Then two weeks later, he texted me, saying that he was at a food place that we went to once in his city. At first, I didn't know who the number was, but then I recognized his area code. It was pretty awkward, and the conversation didn't last long. About 2 days later, he texted me again, saying that he was drunk. The conversation only went on for about 4-5 messages, before I stopped getting responses. He texted me again that following Friday, saying that he was in town, and asked what I was doing. We didn't meet up, but we texted for a while. He then put me in a little fake scenario and asked if I would "cry if he died" I told him that I always cry when people die, but he used it as an excuse to corner me into telling him how I felt. I asked what he wanted me to say, and he said "I want you to tell me you love me" we went back and forth for a while, because I wouldn't answer. He then asked me to visit him, I asked why, but he wouldn't answer. I kept repeating the question, and he admitted to liking me. I questioned it, because of the things he said in the past. He said that he's always liked me. I threw in that he said he didn't want anyone getting attached, and he said "I'm not attached, I didn't want you getting attached" which pissed me off. I don't know what his point was. I'm beginning to think he's trying to hide the fact that he also fell
1
1