+1 y

How to improve one's lack of social ability?

.after years spent in self imposed social isolation ?

I'm 21 and I've never had many friends. I grew in an environment where friends were separated from family life. I never went to birthday parties, seldom went to friends' house (only to work on school project to be honest), never had anyone come to my home, rarely hang out with people. Most fo my time I spent it at home, studying, taking care of what needed to be taken care of, dealt with family drama and that was it. My parents themselves had no one come at home. This was mainly because I had a very authoritative father who dislikes everyone, anyone.

Because of this I feel sort of socially handicapped and find myself facing those two minor issues:

- AS time went by, it has become moreand more difficult to "get" friends. I'm quiet and reserved to begin with but now I really became what we could call shy and even socially awkward. When I have to go up and ask someone something, I have problems expressing myself clearly which always results in a lot of misunderstandings. I am always extra polite. I used to be better at this than I am now but this is mainly because my sense of self is heavily linked to how well I can do at school and lately I've been pretty bad ... Anyway it sort of worries me because it goes to the point where I only talk to my family, and no one else.

The second one is that I can't keep relationship with the people I knew. They never reach out first anyway. And I feel like that's just the way it should be because I'm not really as much of a friend to them as they are to me.

so I would appreciate anyone's tips, and advice on how to improve my "social" ability. I feel lonely and yet unable to act different than detached to people, no matter who they are. As I said I sort of lost my sense of self to others. Former friends always knew me as the girl with straight As and now that we're grown ups and that I 'm not that anymore I just feel like there are no reason for talking with anyone.
1
0