Should you tip a waiter or waitress?

• Yes
  • Yes, depends on service
  • No
    Vote C

2329

Most Helpful Girl

• So long as it wasn't atrocious service, yes.

There has only been 1 that I barely left a tip for because of how rude she was. I'm honestly, a REALLY good tipper. I have given somewhere around a 60% tip on a bill before because of how amazing they were.

I can't remember where it was, but it was a woman and she was extremely polite, friendly, and patient with us. My friends had been drinking (me being the DD lol) and they were getting loud and obnoxious. I was pretty embarrassed.

She kept things cool, didn't seem to mind at all. Either a really good person or a very good actress.

- Either way, I ended up leaving her $40 as a tip on a bill of about $60.

Oh & I haven't gone out to eat with those friends since. lol, and I sure as hell told them why when we got in the car. This was about 2 (?) years ago. Give or take.

Most Helpful Guy

• It is customary, but not mandatory. I tip based on the service, and there have been times I am so annoyed with the waiter/waitress for messing up an order, never coming by the entire meal to check on the drinks or if the meal is ok, or taking forever to come with the bill and again for returning the change. I will intentionally give them zero tip and pay the exact amount and look them in the eye like a "fuck you, asshole". A decent service will generally get 12% tip, since when they add tip on a credit card machine, it is on top of the tax you're paying, so you're essentially paying tip on the taxes.

In general, I dislike tipping. A person chooses the job they work in, and their pay/salary is their compensation. If the pay sucks that you are forced to supplement it with tips, the solution is simple... get a better job, or get the requirements for a better career. I work hard for my income, and nobody tips me for doing my job. Why should wait staff be tipped for doing their job? Service with a smile isn't an "extra". It's a requirement for a service job.