What kind of traditional foods do you eat from your country?

Name one kind of traditional food you eat in your country. When, why do you eat this food?

For example, in the US, we eat turkey to celebrate Thanksgiving/Autumn Harvest. Everyone from around the country, drive or fly back to celebrate this tradition/holiday with their family.

I should add, holiday traditional foods

3835

Most Helpful Guy

• We do turkey on Thankgiving. At first, I thought this would be like a "traditional cultural" type question... Like Scottish people and Haggis.

We did switch it up for about 3 years with my sister doing badly prepared Cornish game hens, but went back to turkey after that. We do ham on Christmas... But not much past those.

I used to get dragged to Burns Night dinners and was forced into eating more haggis than any kid should have to eat, but otherwise not much traditional holiday food other than Thanksgiving and Christmas. I've done a few Passover Seder dinners for a few years, even though I'm not personally Jewish, which could I guess be considered a traditional holiday dinner type thing.

• "traditional cultural" type question... Like Scottish people and Haggis.

yeah. would love to know about the Scottish traditional foods...

• Luckily not all of it is disgusting... But Haggis is. I've been part of several Presbyterian churches, and many of those are based in that culture... Some more than others... I've been to Scotland once, but as a kid growing up, again, I had to endure Haggis every Burns dinner (Robert Burns was a famous Scottish poet- basically we celebrate his poetry and Scottish stuff.

there's Tatties - just mashed potatoes
      Neeps - mashed turnips - meh.
      Crannachan - a dessert with whiskey, whipped cream, berries and oatmeal- it's ok, not a huge fan

Now we generally have this once a year at the end of January. One of those things for me to kind of do it and get it over with. I never really got into it. Just some dorky thing old Scottish people (or people with that heritage) like to do. I always found most of it pretty corny, but some of the food was ok... Just not the neeps, haggis or whiskey.

Most Helpful Girl

• Num Banh Chok (Cambodian fish noodle soup)
    asian-wonders.com/.../7749606252_92e68392a2_o.jpg

It's eaten through any holiday as its one of the most popular cuisines in Cambodia. Eaten with a handful of veggies and chillies, you eat the yellowish-green broth with thin rice noodles

• the veges look delicious... is that yard long string bean?

• Yeah long string beans ☺️ Gives it some texture. The veggies are eaten raw and you could sprinkle some crushed roasted peanuts on the top (but that's optional)