What does tofu taste like?

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• That depends on how it is prepared.

In the Philippines, we have a snack called "Taho" (Tah-HO"), composed of the very soft type of tofu, syrup, and chewy tapioca. While I have tried to replicate it in the U. S. (and failed), it is utterly delicious.
    upload.wikimedia.org/.../1024px-Taho2.jpg

Cooked also in Japanese "Sukiyaki",...
    s17-us2.ixquick.com/.../serveimage
    Chinese Twice Cooked Tofu,...
    s16-us2.ixquick.com/.../serveimage
    or simply fired and eaten with soy sauce and wasabi...
    www.seriouseats.com/.../...umb-625xauto-172974.jpg

It absorbs whatever flavor it is cooked with. With different cooking methods, you can get different textures. Whatever way it is cooked (if cooked correctly), it tastes awesome.

1|0
    0|0
    • You can look for taiwanese food shop maybe there is Taho.

• @ibodi While I (so far as I know) there is no Taiwanese store in my region, I have been able to find an equivalent in this huge Chinese market 10 min.'s from my home.

It's not the same: The tapioca is HUGE (the size for bubble tea) and the syrup isn't as dark or thick, but it still tastes awesome!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• Tofu by itself has no flavour at all. If you cook it with other food it acts like a sponge and soaks up the flavours of the other food your cooking it with.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends entirely on how you cook it and how you season it. It absorbs the flavor of whatever you're cooking it with

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it is terrible but that is just my personal opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • like nothing... you have to do stuff to it to make a taste

1|0
    1|0
  • Like dry sponge

0|0
    0|0
  • Whatever you cook with it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Like tofu.

0|0
    0|0
  • Taste like wet spongy cheesy meat.

0|0
    0|0
  • I uused tO ththe people said
    Toad food not tofu

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 11

• it really depends on what spices and herbs you use with it. I made tofu stir-fry with cayenne pepper, garlic salt, oregano, basil, and sesame seeds and it turned out fantastic. If you cook it without anything then it tastes bland.

0|0
    0|0
  • Like weird flavorless semi gone bad cheese/cream... they say it's healthy and I only had it once and that's what I think i remember it tasting like... :/

0|0
    0|0
  • It tastes like whatever you cook it with. And it kinda has the texture of scrambled eggs.

0|1
    0|0
  • I always wondered but I can't get past the texture. 😷

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends how you season it and cook it. Season it with tacos after drying it out properly and crumbling it like ground beef it'll tast like a taco

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone says it tastes like anything you bake, fry, cook it with.
    It has no taste on its own.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would like to know as well..

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know but I wanna try it

0|0
    0|0
  • Like nothing it's just spongy

0|0
    0|0