Are Abortions Vegan?

Can vegans have abortions, or is that against the rules? Are abortions vegan acceptable?

• Yes, Abortions are Vegan.
  • No, Vegans cannot have abortions.
Select a gender to cast your vote:
If eggs are not vegan, then abortions shouldn't be vegan. It's totally confusing.

99

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't really label them "vegan", lol.
    Some of us are pro-life and others not. I'm personally pro-choice, but with limitations. For example, aborting a fetus at about 4 months is really pushing it for me, though it's not my place to judge others for their reasons to do so (however, I still do have opinions). Despite being pro-choice, I could never see myself aborting a baby as it doesn't line up with my morals.
    As a side note, I don't think vegans really have a written rule except we shouldn't eat or use animal products, so vegans can still have abortions.
    I see veganism as a way to cause the least amount of harm possible, and killing something that isn't even sentient is not producing much harm.

There's a video by BiteSizeVegan that discusses this issue even further if you're interested.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqiJA5H_wIY

Hope I answered everything.

• (Sorry to add more.) To me, it's not about the egg, it's about the chickens. Their bodies are being exploited, and in the egg industry, it's really screwed up on how eggs are produced. It's not something we think about, but just do a quick Google search on the egg industry. It's terrible.
      If you don't want to see it, I'll just tell you.
      In a typical hen house, the chickens are kept in small, tight cages, with more than one chicken inside each cage. They're unable to spread their wings or walk around, and they go insane. Sometimes they peck each other, but to prevent this, part of their beaks are clipped off as they're chicks (without anesthetic). Speaking of which, when they're chicks, the males are sorted from the females. The females take the role of their mothers, and the males are killed. They're either grinded up or suffocated alive.

• Thanks! That's a really good comment. One of the best I've read for anything. I didn't think of exploiting the chicken's body. I know it's a terrible thing that goes on in the food animal industry. I'm probably pro-choice, but mostly for immoral reasons. It's just impracticable for these children to be born into circumstance where no one wants them. This sounded like a silly question, but it's pretty complex and thanks for investing some time ands thought into it!!

• Oh no problem. :)

What Girls Said 8

• It's a complicated topic, I know some vegans who are for abortion and others who are against it, though most seem to pro-choice. Veganism aims to reduce suffering and harm in ways that are rational and practical, so knowing that, you could really make arguments for both cases. I mean, in one sense, abortion is technically ending a "life" or "potential life", in which case it would be wrong in the eyes of a vegan.
    However, veganism is a well-rounded ideology, focusing on the environment, the future of humanity, avoidance of suffering, and human health. I've heard arguments stating that the problem of overpopulation is an extreme concern, considering the fact that there are nearly 8 billion people on the planet and we are quickly approaching the absolute limit of 10 billion people that the planet could sustain (and that's only if the majority of the planet went vegan because more food can be produced with plants than with animals on any given space of land). So, in that case, abortions would actually be beneficial to the planet/humanity as a whole, because it would keep population in check.
    I'm sure there are more arguments for and against, but I'm already procrastinating on an assignment by being on this website and I need to go lmao.

• Nope... they can't have abortions - if they are actual real vegans.

Otherwise, they would like to also eat humans, but save all the animals... So vegan cannibals in actuality.

• Excellent Q btw!

• Thanks @LittleSally! I think there is a contradiction too, but @LunaLawliet made a very excellent and interesting point about how vegan-ism isn't about death, per se, but more about exploitation of animals' from their own bodies. You should read her comment because it was thoughtful and worth reading! Have a nice day!

• They're not eating the aborted fetuses lol

• So if you kill the pigs BUT not eat them, it's ok? well, I wouldn't be surprised to hear a vegan say that XD

• @AleDeEurope I'm not sure what vegans want. But I'm personally not against death, I just don't want them to be suffering in life

• Good point, @AleDeEurope, vegans are mostly likely against the fur trade.

• Hahaha I didn't know this question needed to be asked but now you got me thinking

• Wow, never thought of that

• Do... are people eating their aborted fetuses now?

• Who cares about people when pigs are dying!! Get your priorities straight.

• Some are pro choice some aren't, just like any other group. Pro choice vegans get a lot of shit tho since vegans set the life of animals so high yet the life of a human low enough to abort it. (Not my personal opinion per say but just some things I've heard)

What Guys Said 9

• Vegans shouldn't have abortions, cause that would go against what they preach. If eating an egg is murder, wouldn't abortion be murder too?

• Why is this in food and drink?

• Uhm... Vegans are about a beating heart. In anything. So no, not an option.

• It's 2016 animals lives are more important than humans

• Only if you intend on not eating the remains.

• Is a BJ vegan?

• Abortions are very Vegan because by preventing another consumer to be born in to this world you are protecting the environment for everything else on the planet.

• Lol. Wtf? 😂😂😂😂 sounds like a random tweet somebody would write.

• Humans are essentially just meat. That's why cannibals resort to eating humans