How can I overcome a sugar addiction?

I have an addiction to sugary food and have on and off struggles eating sensibly. I tend to bingle a lot on junk. if I go off sugar its not too long before I start craving it again.

I don't have the self-control to eat in moderation, its all or nothing.

Anyone have any advice/tips/techniques how I can overcome or manage this for good?

98

Most Helpful Guy

• Fruit still isn't very healthy compared to vegetables, but it's a hell of a lot better for you than junk food (or anything with added sugars).

I used to be like you, but I guarantee you that the longer you go without eating sweets, the easier it will be. My advice is to eat a bunch of fruit while you're easing yourself off of it, in order to control your cravings. Fruit has natural sugars - it's basically the same thing as added sugars, but in samples that can actually be digested and used by humans.

It still isn't great for you, as opposed to vegetables (which offer the same benefits for fewer calories), but again, it's better than sweets.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been meaning to answer this question all day.

Well, first and foremost I have to tell you that there is no ONE way to do it other than to actually follow through. You may be better fit to slowly ween yourself off of sugar, replacing it with better alternatives, or you may be better off quitting cold turkey. What you choose is up to you there.

When it comes to cravings people have to realize that you crave things the more you eat them - that's the thing about junk food. The only way to stop craving things is to literally ride it out, refuse to give in, and eat a balanced diet. I used to get cravings all of the time, but I can say after a few weeks of just disciplining myself and not giving in, it got easier and to the point that I wasn't constantly craving things.

If you're the type to be addicted to the sugar rush, make sure you adequately get enough vitamins, nutrients and calories from your food (or a supplement if you take vitamins in pill form) and make sure you get enough sleep to avoid feeling like you NEED sugar. As for the actual craving it part, you could start out with replacing them with sugar free alternatives, and then switching over obviously to healthier options like fruit. But literally, the only way it's going to work is if you just do it.

What Guys Said 7

• i dont know. whenever i want to change a habit i just tell myself to stop doing it and i succeed. anyway, my granny used to chew gum every time she craved cigarettes. she used this technique to stop smoking. it worked for her. maybe it can work for you too.

the theory behind this is that you instead of removing the stimulus altogether (sugary foods in your case) you replace the stimulus with another one which is not unhealthy or damaging.

• what works for me is eating my craving soo much to the point i just can't handle them no more it works like a charm but as for sugary foods if you dont have a high metabolism it will signicantly increase your weight but no worries just work the callories off or you could just starve yourself off it like any addiction after weeks of torture it will eventually go away

• go for alternate.

• I know it sounds hard but only eat healthy foods for like two weeks then try to eat something sugary or unhealthy and notice how crappy you feel compared to before. That's how I stay eating pretty healthy but you do need a cheat day now and again

• You have to use your will power (resist the temptation).

• a one of the few questions you should have tagged me in but didn't ^^
    i haven't eaten sugar in 2 years!

• Spend 3 weeks in a medical indused coma

What Girls Said 8

• I've gotten out of my sugar cravings. So much so that drinking Coke is no longer tasty at all while sparkling water tastes like heaven lol. Never thought it could happen cause I never drank water back then.

It has to be kind of gradual. Stopping right away is gonna make you very tired and crave it even more because your body is so used to the high amounts of sugar intake.

Switch out junk and snacks to healthier things. Instead of a chocolate bar have an apple, instead of crisps/chips have berries. They're both tasty but the latter is healthy.

On your sandwich include things like tomatoes and /or spinach instead of peanut butter.
    And definitely don't eat the commercial cereals, even some of their ready made muesli has a lot of sugar in it.

To get off sugar craves, start eating healthier types of sugar that comes from fruits. And try not to give into your temptations too much. Of course you can always have cheat days here and there which I do but don't do it too much. But eventually your body will get used to lower sugar intake and once you try junk it almost tastes a bit too sweet.

• I used to have sugar on my breakfast every. Single. Morning.

Two spoons of the stuff.

Then my doctor reccomended i lose a little weight, whats the easiest thing for me to cut out? Sugar.
    So I stopped putting sugar on my breakfast, but here's the thing. I've been doing that since i was a kid, or, well since before i could reach over the bench without getting a chair.
    So it was a really hard habit to break.

What did I do? I made a rule.

I was having iced coffees everyday. Loved the things. So i made a rule that if i had sugar on my breakfast, i couldnt have my iced coffee. And if i had two iced ciffees in one day, i couldnt have sugar the next OR an iced coffee.

You dont cut it out all together because thats just as bad for your body as too much, you just cut out the most obvious unneeded sugar, and either replace it with a smaller source of sugar, or bargain between that source and another.

Keep it up for a few months and viola. I no longer drink iced coffees everyday, or have sugar on my breakfast.
    I've cut my sugar intake down to a caramel coffee once every two days, and apple juice.

I no longer need to worry about the sugar count in soft drinks and chocolate, because my overall sugar intake is as low as it needs to be.

• I have a Sweet Tooth myself Here, dear. However, I always have Had to Control it. It's just Simply... Mind over Milky Way Matter.
    One, hun, can get Health Issues down the Candy Cane Line, as well Gain Weight that is Harder to Kick, more so than the Sugar itself.
    Train yourself to Tell yourself that you Need to Eat Less and Maybe More of something Sweet that's another Treat with... No Sugar. Sugarless Candy is good or even those Cookies as well.
    Good Luck and Thanks for the Kind Invite. xx

• I used to be the same. Till I cut off all the junk food (if you don't buy it you won't eat it) just get over seeing it in the store and not buying it and you'll be good. Go for a natural alternative when you BADLY crave it (fruits and dates for example) after a while I realized I actually don't like sweets in the first place.

• Fruittttt

• I dunno, tell me when you know, I have to get over it too

• i got over my coffee addiction by eating a lot of fruits whenever my body needed coffee so i guess... try fruits

• change the things you like little by little, like chocolat for 10% cocoa chocolat and go improving it