What is your opinion of men that drink their whisky straight (either neat or on the rocks)?

When out with friends or having drinks at home, people tend to react in a surprised way when I drink my whiskey this way. I think the general consensus is that I'm doing it to be cool or for shock value or something but in all reality I thoroughly enjoy the taste and prefer it over any other alcoholic beverage. What is your perception of a guy that drinks his whiskey straight?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I like whiskey a lot, even the bad ones. But I can understand why people are suspicious. Whenever I go out and order whiskey it's followed by all my friends discussing how they are just the biggest whiskey connoisseurs ever. 50 minutes after getting their glass, they are still sitting with the same drink, choking down the last drop and desperate to order a beer. In my exoerience only a small percentage of people who claim to like whiskey actually enjoy it. Most are just doing it for the perception.

0|1
    0|0
    • I wonder why that is lol. I would never do something I don't enjoy to appear a certain way.

• I think it's a subconscious thing. They always pictured themselves as the type of people who would drink whiskey, so they think they do. All of sudden not liking whiskey makes them feel more fake than liking whiskey, because it'd betray the person they picture themselves as.

• Makes sense

Most Helpful Girl

• I thought that's how you are supposed to. My boyfriend only drinks scotch or vodka straight or on the rocks. He says good quality booze shouldn't be mixed. For his scotch he only uses 1-2 cubes.

0|1
    0|0
    • I agree with him. I will have cocktails though as long as the booze is good and it's made by someone knowledgeable. Manhattans and Julips are my favorites.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• There's nothing weird about it. I was into Whiskey some years ago. If it's a good brand, it'd be a waste to dilute with pepsi or whatever. Just make sure to not drink crappy Whiskey for 15 bucks a bottle because in that case, the stares are justified. A good whiskey has to cost at least 50 bucks in my opinion. My dad loves the Japanese brands. For example the Yamazaki single malt or the Hibiki. I tried both of them and they're very good but they exceed my own budget ;-).

0|1
    0|0
  • In my option people who drown their whiskey in other shit don't like whiskey and should not be drinking it. 'On the rocks'? Tut-tut! Ice is cold and kills the taste. Ice warms up and melts, diluting the nectar. A wee splash of water to open the taste is recommended, but no more. I carry a 5 ml eye dropper.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm fine with it. But when I do it people think I'm weird.

0|1
    0|0
  • Strong pallette lol, I drink shots a lot with no chaser, sometimes a drink is meant to be felt

0|1
    0|0
  • A lot of adult guys I know drink their whiskey that way, so I think it's great.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think anything of it. My boyfriend takes it on the rocks. It's his favorite alcoholic drink.

0|1
    0|0
  • My opinion is that is just makes them wasted quicker.

0|0
    0|0
  • I take shots of whiskey so I have no opinion lol

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd call it good taste, I do the same

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes