What is your opinion of men that drink their whisky straight (either neat or on the rocks)?

When out with friends or having drinks at home, people tend to react in a surprised way when I drink my whiskey this way. I think the general consensus is that I'm doing it to be cool or for shock value or something but in all reality I thoroughly enjoy the taste and prefer it over any other alcoholic beverage. What is your perception of a guy that drinks his whiskey straight?

74

Most Helpful Guy

• I like whiskey a lot, even the bad ones. But I can understand why people are suspicious. Whenever I go out and order whiskey it's followed by all my friends discussing how they are just the biggest whiskey connoisseurs ever. 50 minutes after getting their glass, they are still sitting with the same drink, choking down the last drop and desperate to order a beer. In my exoerience only a small percentage of people who claim to like whiskey actually enjoy it. Most are just doing it for the perception.

• I wonder why that is lol. I would never do something I don't enjoy to appear a certain way.

• I think it's a subconscious thing. They always pictured themselves as the type of people who would drink whiskey, so they think they do. All of sudden not liking whiskey makes them feel more fake than liking whiskey, because it'd betray the person they picture themselves as.

• Makes sense

Most Helpful Girl

• I thought that's how you are supposed to. My boyfriend only drinks scotch or vodka straight or on the rocks. He says good quality booze shouldn't be mixed. For his scotch he only uses 1-2 cubes.

• I agree with him. I will have cocktails though as long as the booze is good and it's made by someone knowledgeable. Manhattans and Julips are my favorites.