Substitute for Mirin?

"Mirin is an essential condiment used in Japanese cuisine. It is a type of rice wine similar to sake, but with a lower alcohol content and higher sugar content" -Google
Okay, is there a substitute for Mirin? I know it's wine but i can't do wine or alcohol since im still underage. I want to try cooking tamogoyaki, a Japanese omelet. I want to find something similar to Mirin with NO wine, sake, alcohol.. etc.. in it. I can't find the non-alcoholic kind in the stores so i'm in a bit in a trouble. If you guys can give me an answer, i'll appreciate it very much.
Thank you if you help.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Buy white cooking wine ( I really don't think you need an ID for this) and add an extra teaspoon. Of sugar for each tablespoon of wine. Or you can use rice wine vinegar, not to be confused with rice vinegar. Good luck.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• you can try 1/3 rice vinegar, 1/3 water, 1/3 corn syrup. or apple cider vinegar sugar and honey. an Asian supermarket should have mirin, if it is okay.

0|0
    0|0
  • We don't have any problem buying non-alcoholic Mirin in our grocery stores here in Toronto.

0|0
    0|0
    • Look for the brand Lee Kum Kee mirin at your local grocery store, or you can look for the Kikkoman brand they make a fake Mirin that is alcohol free.

• It should be in the same section of your grocery store where the soya sauce, teriyaki sauce, plum sauce etc... is located.

• Dick

0|0
    0|1
  • sorry no clue about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ask your Mom to buy it. Or find a plum vinegar - harder to find than cooking wine.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes