What's the latest before you go to bed you can drink coffee before it ruins your sleep?

I know some people can have it an hour or so beforehand to apparently no ill effect.

I had some at about 4pm / 5pm today, and have been buzzing since...
Updates:
I think it's not so much it keeps me awake, as it means I sleep lightly. A neighbour's alarm went off in the distance, and I'm awake etc.

The ill-advised coffee was preceded by a ill-advised couple of beers in the afternoon at a family gathering yesterday - mid-afternoon drinking is another thing I try to steer clear of, hence the coffee. Definitely brought this on myself...

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• From a health website,
    "affeine easily passes through body membranes so from the first sip the caffeine is entering your bloodstream through the lining of your mouth, throat, and stomach.

It only takes 45 minutes for 99% of the caffeine to be absorbed through these membranes.

In humans, the half-life for caffeine is anywhere from 4 to 6 hours on average, which explains why the average energy drink or coffee’s effect lasts about 4 to 6 hours."

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I can drink coffee at 8pm-10pm and still sleep fine

0|1
    0|0
  • My cut off time is 1 PM. If I drink caffeine past this time, it will affect my sleep for sure. Supposedly, they say that caffeine stays in your system for 9 hours.

It's certainly true in my case!

0|1
    0|0
    • Pretty much precisely what's happened to me. Today is a virtual write-off.

• I don't know about coffee, but I take 300mg of caffeine and 50mg of very strong stimulants in my preworkout. I'm drinking my pre right now, gotta sleep in 4 hours... let's see how it works. Generally 6 hours though is the latest.

0|1
    0|0
  • I could drink a big redbull right before bed and still sleep like a baby

0|1
    0|0
    • Redbull is another thing that screws me up. I think I'm sensitive in some way to some of these stimulants in a way a lot of other people aren't.

One of those things I forget from time to time (to my detriment).

• I prefer coffee at night and I can still fall right to sleep. I drink it some mornings but almost every night around 8:30 ish.

0|1
    0|0
  • Good thing I don't drink that crap.

Though not like I get good sleep anyway, practically didn't sleep this night and I have no idea why.

0|1
    0|0
  • coffee doesn't affect me, so I can drink whenever but I don't drink because I am not a coffee drinker

0|1
    0|0
  • Doesn't matter, I can down a gallon and crash right away. Caffiene doesn't affect me.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes