What's the latest before you go to bed you can drink coffee before it ruins your sleep?

I know some people can have it an hour or so beforehand to apparently no ill effect.

I had some at about 4pm / 5pm today, and have been buzzing since...
I think it's not so much it keeps me awake, as it means I sleep lightly. A neighbour's alarm went off in the distance, and I'm awake etc.

The ill-advised coffee was preceded by a ill-advised couple of beers in the afternoon at a family gathering yesterday - mid-afternoon drinking is another thing I try to steer clear of, hence the coffee. Definitely brought this on myself...

46

Most Helpful Guy

• From a health website,
    "affeine easily passes through body membranes so from the first sip the caffeine is entering your bloodstream through the lining of your mouth, throat, and stomach.

It only takes 45 minutes for 99% of the caffeine to be absorbed through these membranes.

In humans, the half-life for caffeine is anywhere from 4 to 6 hours on average, which explains why the average energy drink or coffee’s effect lasts about 4 to 6 hours."

Most Helpful Girl