When grocery shopping, do you care if a product is domestic or foreign made?

When at the supermarket do you care if a particular product or brand is foreign or domestic?

Do you support domestic companies even if its more expensive?

what's your take on this?

detailed answers are appreciated

1|2

Most Helpful Guy

• I support whatever is cheapest. Most of the time that means foreign. There is one major principle of economics that a lot of people don't understand. Any and every time a transaction is made between two or more parties, there is an increase in wealth. (Assuming no party has been forced into the agreement). If I can get the same product for a lower price, the amount of wealth I've gained is more than if I'd bought it for a higher price. As the saying goes, a penny saved is a penny earned. In many ways I'd prefer to support foreign products because it forces domestic ones to improve in order to become more competitive. We have so many policies that try to protect domestic companies. But if you're setting up businesses so that they are not forced to compete, they aren't going to have any motivation to improve. Promoting the company who can sell for the lowest price means that you are forcing other companies to do better. If a company goes out of business because it can't compete, someone else can buy all the equipment and in many cases most of the employees for a much lower price than they would otherwise, allowing essentially the same business to start over, and produce for cheaper (it's hard to explain and I'm sorry that I don't do it well.) Essentially, by "protecting businesses" we harm the market and prevent the development of new technologies. People develop technologies due to needs, if you keep people from needing it, new and innovative technology will never be developed.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope. If it's a cheaper option of a product available in a store, then that's what I would get. Now produce however is a different story. I like to buy the organic version of any produce in the store, or go to a local farmer stand where they sell it fresh and homegrown

0|1
    0|0
    • I hate to be that guy but a lot of organic food is bullshit, its marketing over substance.

• Show All
    • There are plenty of credible orgaic farms, just need to know better, lol.

• Thanks for the MHO😊

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Lol I think you've gotten an understanding of how fussy I am about this kind of thing...

0|1
    0|0
    • lol I can't remember, refresh my memory

• List of priorities;
      Ethics
      Sustainability
      Locality
      Preference
      Price
      Meat and fresh produce are mostly from where we live; through markets and private sellers.
      Most branded things I try for Australian made, but there are certain brands I do prefer as their ethics and sustainability trump the location it was produced (animal testing and parent companies using child labour or unfair work practises)

• i only worry about that if its something from the farm because f the chemicals used. like if they washed it and everything and also if they were handled right. though i tend to wash everything i buy from a store. but thats what i am careful about.

0|1
    0|0
  • I honestly never pay attention, lol. I go to farmer's markets when I can to get local products and if a grocery store in town sources local farmers I think that's nice and I'll buy those products to support it, but if I'm just wondering around Walmart I'll just shop by price.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like domestic, but I am always very wary or it not being all that good to me. Same with foreign products. If it's a brand I become curious about, I go research it, and get my info to determine if I should or should not buy it. :)

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm American but do not live in the USA. Where i live we can buy products from the USA, but they're expensive. Like 3 times the price in the states. So i have no prob buying non-American products.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends, when you buy prosciutto, for example, you could go for either domestic or foreign. I love Italian food, and I am Italian. If something is imported from Italy, it's good. Another thing, Italian cheese has to be from Italy.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's Simple: No. Not even if its Halal, which I have Used Here, dear.
    As long as it's A Product that I Feel is Best from the Rest, it's Cool, bro. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't pay attention. If it's in stock I buy it. I don't have time to be reading barcodes and all that shit.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont care tbh. If I like the product I get it. Let it be foreign or not. As long as it has a realistic price also.

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer buying from my country because it helps our economy but specialty items like Belgian chocolate are things I'd buy that are foreign made.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I tend to favor domestic products unless the difference in price is too big.

0|1
    0|0
  • Always want domestic. Id rather have local, but choices are limited in that capacity.

0|1
    0|0
  • quality and cost are most important to me

but most products i buy are made in america.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes actually i do. I order all my electronics in germany, france, the UK or the netherleads because its cheaper there than here in belgium while its the same quality.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't really look, I just don't want my food filled with chemicals and preservatives.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends, produce and meat, I prefer local. Sake and beer, I prefer foreign.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't mind food that is foreign import as long as it's safe to eat.

0|0
    0|0
  • If I can't read what the product is I won't buy it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would sooner it was domestic but to often that is impossible.

0|0
    0|0
  • No because my parents buy it for me

0|1
    0|0
  • No. Quality.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not Really.

0|1
    0|0
  • I like products that are made in house

0|0
    0|0
  • it doesn't really matter to me where it came from- If the products good and cheap then ill get it

0|1
    0|0
  • Unless it's produce, I will buy what's cheaper regardless

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm not that rich to have options. I usually buy the cheapest one lol

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes