If a Chinese, Indian, or middle eastern restaurant in the US is run by people actually from that country, is the food probably authentic?

I know that, for instance, authentic Chinese restaurants will also serve American-ized things like orange chicken to get more business from white people, but are the things that aren't as familiar probably authentically of that country?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• yes aslong as they were raised eating that food from over there but be careful cause foe example mexicans in california have changed and mexican food over there is not authentic. by the way for the best authentic mexican food texas and mexico are the way to go.

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah, Tucson, AZ is also good for Mexican. Phoenix can be good but not always

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Authenticity cannot be guaranteed even if the person running the restaurant is of matching ethnicity. They might be third or fourth generation and have no real knowledge of authentic recipes. You would hope that they would hire chefs who do know what is authentic and what isn't but then there is no guarantee of that either.

0|0
    0|0
    • I feel like if someone comes from such a country they're not just gonna abandon the food they're used to and learn how to make the Americanized version of it simply to please white people. I mean if I moved to Egypt and was starting a restaurant there I'm not gonna waste my time learning how to make burgers and American steaks in an Egyptian-ized way. If the restaurant would fail because Egyptians don't like burgers and steaks the way Americans do I might as well make a living elsewise, not just by changing the food I've grown up with

• It depends. I prefer to find authentic ethnic food. When I live in Biloxi, Vietnamese food was my go-to favorite, followed by Japanese. Whenever I go to Ann Arbor, there's a nice little Middle Eastern restaurant that makes some of the best falafel and shawarma I've ever had.

0|1
    0|0
  • Authentic has nothing to do with what ethnicity you are... you simply need the authentic recipe that is needed to be used

But sure I get it... who want's to eat sushi rolled up by a russia

0|1
    0|0
  • No because they adapt to what's mainstream in that country

0|2
    0|0
  • The food would be a lot better

0|0
    0|0
  • most probably

0|1
    0|0
  • No. Peperroni pizza is non existent in italy. Its an American fabcrication created for the sole purposes of wealth accusation from the every day worker. America has until today not apologized for their cultural crimes and raping of glorious italian culture.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes