Is vegetarianism primarily a Western phenomena?

Are most vegetarians in Europe and the United States? Or are there lots of vegetarians in Africa, India and China?
  • Yes, it's primarily a Western phenomena. Most vegetarians live in the USA and Europe.
    Vote A
  • Nope. There are lots of vegetarians in China, Japan, Africa and India.
    Vote B
  • See results
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• well in most Asian cultures like china, animals are not even considered to have any feelings and in africa, they can hardly choose... it´s a first world phenomenon. as soon as you don´t desparately need it to survive, that´s when you have the previlige of thinking about the "moral" of it.

0|0
    0|2
    • There are other reasons than the feelings of animals, to go vegetarien like the environment and global warming.

• Show All
    • - Meat Destroys the Environment - Cowspiracy in 15 Minutes
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSjE8xw_-Dg

• @djvtech it does but the topic was global warming not general environment.

Most Helpful Girl

• Vegetarians are found a lot more in Asian countries. Koreans for example, are very veggie oriented. Lots of Asian people can't eat dairy products too. India is full of veggies. There's a lot more than in western society. And they're much more chill about it.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Vegetarianism or Veganism is popular in Buddhist philosophy sub categories as it violates a "living in harmony with the world" and Buddhism is primarily found in Asian countries so it kinda actually origins from Asia.
    In African countries such as South Africa there are also plenty of vegetarians and vegans. I myself am one myself and I know of at least 50 others in my country

0|0
    0|0
  • Asia practically started the vegetarian trend and I'm talking about all of Asian spanning down to the middle east, it's been common for the culture to have vegetarian dishes

0|1
    0|0
  • nah I'm vegetarian and although we have so many options here in the states the population is extremely low compared to other countries that's because of the high demand for meat. but I think that vegetarian and veganism is on the rise, I plan to transition to a vegan lifestyle.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Go to the US and you'll soon find that a very, very small percentage of us are vegetarians. We like our burgers and hot dogs!
    That being said, I feel that there are more vegetarians in places like India.

1|0
    0|0
  • Almost 30% population of Indians is vegetarian.
    9% are ovo-vegetarian.
    I am Indian and was raised as a vegetarian. I eat meat once in a while though.

0|0
    0|0
  • Actually, India has the most vegetarians in the world, China is the close second. There are also lots of vegetarians in Australia, Japan, Brazil and Italy.
    I'm not sure about the vegans though.

0|1
    0|1
  • The USDA estimated that about 40% of Indians are vegetarian, so I'm voting B.

Frankly, if anything, high meat consumption is the most prevalent in the West.

0|1
    0|1
  • there's vegetarians all over the world. vegetarianism is based on personal preferences, peoples beliefs on morals and also religion

0|0
    0|0
  • Vegetarianism is inherent to many Indians' religious beliefs.

0|1
    0|0
  • lol no. India has the highest population of vegetarians and probably even vegan. China has millions of vegetarians too, malaysia, thailand etc. I don't know about Africa.

0|0
    0|1
    • I don't think veganism exists in India, other than the extremely poor. There was even a study that found an inverse correlation between lactase persistence and omnivorism. People who can digest milk well tend to be more vegetarian, which makes complete sense.

• @Omega_brie That's why I said probably even vegan lol... But vegetarian exist a lot in India

• Many vegetarians in Africa? bwahahahahahaha

We Africans love our meat. The only vegetarians in Africa are people of Indian decent.

0|0
    0|0
  • India definitely does because of Hinduism, but there are a lot of Western Liberals who think eating meat is a moral outrage and go vegetarian and even vegan

0|0
    0|1
  • Vegetarianism originated in India and was a big part of said culture long before it became fashionable in the west.

0|0
    0|0
  • Buddhism has a strong vegetarian base as well as many indian groups.

1|0
    0|0
  • Only the wealthy can afford to be vegetarians. So it's more of a western culture thing.

0|1
    0|0
    • is it true there? because veg food in india is cheap compared to meat.

• Show All
    • @Aweir olakunle.com/.../nosuchthingasavegan_thumb.jpg
      my education is about to be PhD level (I'm graduating in 2 months). This has been a fun verbal exercise and debate, but the science is clearly on my side because of how everybody uses animal parts by proxy. Not to mention any 5th grader will tell you that humans are omnivores.

• Right. I tried my best, but you really seem to not understand. However, Id still highly suggest you to start reading about the impact of the meat industry and you'll see that science clearly is not on your side. I was just like you, a skeptical meat eater who used to bash vegans non-stop, then I actually made my researches and here I am. Best of luck

• I don't know. I don't think total vegetarianism is the healthiest diet but whatever people want to eat or refuse to eat, it's their body and life.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most Americans are gun toting carnivores and that is just OK by me. Take your salad and get the hell out of our way

0|0
    0|1
  • India has the highest percentage of vegetarians in the world. So...

0|0
    0|0
  • omg most of the comments are filled with people saying most indians are vegetarians.

0|0
    0|0
    • because it's true

• Sir it's true for only religious people. who comprise roughly 1/3rd of the population. rest of the hindu people eat meat except beef and pork.

also, don't forget we have the largest Muslim population who is non-vegtarian.

• Indian particularly south indian is exclusively veggie

0|0
    0|1
  • Americans eat somewhere around 36 oz of meat a day. I'd assume there is more in India

0|0
    0|0
  • Um no, India has a huge proportion of vegetarians

0|2
    1|1
    • True, but there's a difference between doing it by choice, and forced vegetarianism. Poor people eat less and even zero meat because they can't afford it.

There's also a difference between eating less meat and being vegetarian.

• Show All
    • @Omega_brie there are Jains which are mostly vegetarian. Not all Hindus are vegetarian- it depends on the community. Certain Hindu communities are vegetarian, some are not.

• Be that as it may, a significant percentage of one of the most populous places on Earth has a thousands year old tradition of vegetarianism that remains widely practiced - in a decidedly Eastern country. I don't even think of vegetarianism as being especially prominent in Western cultures, comparitvely.

• most indians are vegetarians

0|1
    0|1
  • yeah man Hindu = vegetarian.

0|1
    0|1
  • Hindus are vegetarians.

0|1
    0|0
    • That's a generalization. Not all Hindus are. It depends on your community actually. ,😇

• I could care less!

0|0
    0|0
  • India probably has the most vegetarians out of anywhere else in the world...

0|0
    0|0
  • Are you an Indian?

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes