Is vegetarianism primarily a Western phenomena?

Are most vegetarians in Europe and the United States? Or are there lots of vegetarians in Africa, India and China?
  • Yes, it's primarily a Western phenomena. Most vegetarians live in the USA and Europe.
  • Nope. There are lots of vegetarians in China, Japan, Africa and India.
  • See results
    Vote C

921

Most Helpful Guy

• well in most Asian cultures like china, animals are not even considered to have any feelings and in africa, they can hardly choose... it´s a first world phenomenon. as soon as you don´t desparately need it to survive, that´s when you have the previlige of thinking about the "moral" of it.

• There are other reasons than the feelings of animals, to go vegetarien like the environment and global warming.

• - Meat Destroys the Environment - Cowspiracy in 15 Minutes
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSjE8xw_-Dg

• @djvtech it does but the topic was global warming not general environment.

Most Helpful Girl

• Vegetarians are found a lot more in Asian countries. Koreans for example, are very veggie oriented. Lots of Asian people can't eat dairy products too. India is full of veggies. There's a lot more than in western society. And they're much more chill about it.