New to bartending. Any tips or advice?

I just started bartending at an event center so it's mostly weddings. I was thrown in tonight without knowing how to make any drinks but luckily there was a list to go off of! But in the end the tips were really good! I want to be able to keep making good tips, so any advice from other bartenders or customers (what did you notice that makes a good bartender?) and advice :) thanks!

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Started bartending years ago at my sisters night club. Second night was a Friday night, started cold turkey, new nothing but one days experience, just went by the flash cards of recipes, by night three, Saturday, I was pretty much good to go. Familiarize yourself well with the location of all the bottles, if you dont have to look, you'll be quicker. Dont be afraid to ask the customer whats in it if you haven't heard of it, lots of drinks can be localized, and chances are, you may give them a chance to get a drink like how they want made, I could give lots of examples on that. Manhattans, martinis and such. Keep talking, gift of gab is most important. Ummmm I'm sure there's lots more somewhere.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• You should really learn to make drinks before bar tending. Have you at least been a waitress before so that you are used to waiting on multiple people? I had to fire a poor girl on her first day bc she had never waited on multiple people (she lied and said she had) and ended up giving drinks to the wrong people and making them incorrectly. It was clear that she just didn't have enough background experience to jump straight into bartending. It can be pretty good money if you're good at it, but you have to learn your drinks and know how to free pour.

0|0
    0|0
    • They knew I never bartended before and it was their choice to have me work with no training. That's the only reason why. We're having a training day at some point but I don't know when.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• Study! It's like any job. Know the liqueurs as well as the formulas for mixed drinks, and practice delicate ones like martinis at home until you can do them in your sleep.

You need to know a lot, know dozens of drinks, because there are so many new 'trendy' ones people will expect you to know.

Also, memorize some jokes, from a joke book, and have them ready. If there are problems with a customer, usually they will be solved if you tell a joke quickly.

0|0
    0|0
    • As a female bartender, you'll constantly be teased or complimented on your looks and hey, part of the job is putting up with it and not getting angry about it. Have comebacks ready, like, 'you're not bad looking yourself for an old man.'

• biggest thing is constantly put out the same drinks. I will never send food back to the kitchen and bitch but if I want to pay for a drink and you can't make it the same way twice.. you are going to heat about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I really like the fact that the bartender makes me feel like i'm their only customer and is friendly to me. That dash, usually makes it difficult not to tip them - even if I didn't like the drink.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well luckily for you being a hot chick is like the only real requirement to be a successful bartender lol

0|0
    0|0
  • ok first stay calm and relaxed find any vid's on u-tube that can help you make a list of the drinks
    find new drinks that no one has heard of

0|0
    0|0
  • Yor interaction can makes a difference... And just be calmπŸ˜€

0|0
    0|0
  • lol just be nice to everyone if they are drunk haha just have fun

0|0
    0|0
  • Learn your drinks

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Depends where you're bar tending. I work in a sports bar so minimal clothing is my go to lmfao
    Also most people who come in are lonely and just want someone to talk to. Do more listening than talking and ask if they need another before the one they're drinking is fully good πŸ‘ŒπŸ»

0|0
    0|0
  • Study the Boston Book, silver edition, subscribe to Bartender magazine. Take a safe pouring class, and the basic Serv Safe food handlers class, both online.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes