New to bartending. Any tips or advice?

I just started bartending at an event center so it's mostly weddings. I was thrown in tonight without knowing how to make any drinks but luckily there was a list to go off of! But in the end the tips were really good! I want to be able to keep making good tips, so any advice from other bartenders or customers (what did you notice that makes a good bartender?) and advice :) thanks!

39

Most Helpful Guy

• Started bartending years ago at my sisters night club. Second night was a Friday night, started cold turkey, new nothing but one days experience, just went by the flash cards of recipes, by night three, Saturday, I was pretty much good to go. Familiarize yourself well with the location of all the bottles, if you dont have to look, you'll be quicker. Dont be afraid to ask the customer whats in it if you haven't heard of it, lots of drinks can be localized, and chances are, you may give them a chance to get a drink like how they want made, I could give lots of examples on that. Manhattans, martinis and such. Keep talking, gift of gab is most important. Ummmm I'm sure there's lots more somewhere.

Most Helpful Girl

• You should really learn to make drinks before bar tending. Have you at least been a waitress before so that you are used to waiting on multiple people? I had to fire a poor girl on her first day bc she had never waited on multiple people (she lied and said she had) and ended up giving drinks to the wrong people and making them incorrectly. It was clear that she just didn't have enough background experience to jump straight into bartending. It can be pretty good money if you're good at it, but you have to learn your drinks and know how to free pour.

• They knew I never bartended before and it was their choice to have me work with no training. That's the only reason why. We're having a training day at some point but I don't know when.