Was it offensive to ask him why?

My cousin is in town for the summer. I haven't seen him since last summer. We went out to eat and he said he was a vegan.

He wasn't a vegan last summer so I asked what prompted this change.

He responded by saying that that was the most judgement he'd gotten from anyone yet.

Our conversation literally went:

Him: Yeah, I'm vegan now.
Me: Oh. What prompted this change?
Him: Wow, that was the most judgement I've gotten after I've told anyone yet.

It was just a question. He wasn't vegan last summer. He hasn't been vegan ever in his life except apparently the last six months.

I don't see why my question was rude or judgmental. If I were to make a fairly drastic diet change I'd expect people to wonder why.

Oh, and just so you know... his reasoning is because he met a girl and SHE'S vegan.

Also he's a very bad vegan. He ate a quesadilla, buttered popcorn, and chocolate chip cookies today lol

But anyway... was my question somehow rude?

1011

Most Helpful Guy

• It was probably the word choice. I know it's probably just your normal speech patterns, but a lot of people perceive formality under casual circumstances as sarcasm. He probably thought you were mocking him.

In other words, the phrase "What prompted this change?" sounds a lot more sarcastic than say... "What made you change?" or something of the sort.

I'm sure it's nothing a little clarifying won't fix.

Most Helpful Girl

• hahahaha! This made me laugh so hard.

And to answer your question - No, not at all. lol!

Your cousin seems a way bit too sensitive. No wonder he is vegan! lol!

(now that would probably an offensive thing to say. :p)