Why do steaks from restaurants taste so much better than the ones purchased from supermarkets?

From New York steaks to ribeye. Not only that, the "fat" on the restaurant steaks is easier to swallow unlike the ones from supermarkets. Is it because of what the cow is fed? Or is it some kind of "secret ingredient"?
Why do steaks from restaurants taste so much better than the ones purchased from supermarkets?

1|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Generally the quality is better, meat is graded and restaraunts source the highest. They also prepare and cook tailored to cut, size and fat content whereas most of us just throw it on the grill until it looks and feels done at home

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• you can see in that pic the quality of the meat.. if you buy the steak from supermarket it would be usually 1st or 2nd one.. but restaurants (nice restaurants), they start to use from 5th.. especially if you can find 10-12 kinda steak, then you should go for it

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 12

• It's everything to do with which vendors they're getting their meats from. Also, the cut factors into it as well. Generally, a restaurant is supposed to serve the highest quality which means a richer taste (because of what they feed the cows, yes) and less fat. There's a difference between Choice and Prime meat so when you shop at the store look for Prime cuts instead.

0|2
    0|0
  • Better quality meat, prepared by someone who cooks for a living, instead of someone who buys the cheapest cut and over cooks it, probably.

0|1
    0|0
  • they have someone that knows how to specially cook steak. that's their job

0|0
    0|0
  • Those people in the restaurant do it almost everyday so the know how to make it taste good

0|1
    0|0
  • They're prepared better?

1|2
    0|0
  • Butter on top while they rest.

0|0
    0|0
  • they get paid to make it taste good

0|0
    0|0
  • because you dont have to cook them

0|0
    0|0
  • Sodium.

0|0
    0|0
  • It has to do with where they buy them from, and if they use a secret seasoning to make them taste better.

Where I live most steaks at supermarkets have stuff in them to make them last longer, which in turn ruins the taste.

0|1
    0|0
  • Really? I prefer cooking them myself to be honest

0|0
    0|0
  • It is two things. Different prep methods, and better cuts than most American super markets offer. Plus expert level cooking skill.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 12

• The primary reason is that restaurants all have USDA Prime steaks, the highest grade. Most grocery stores sell USDA Choice as their highest quality steak. If you get your meat from a discount place like Walmart, they sell USDA Select -- the lowest grade. Restaurants start with a superior product and it all skyrockets from there.

1|1
    0|0
  • It's both good ingredients and proper cooking. If you're willing to go look for it, you CAN find good quality steak even in supermarkets, gotta cook it on a BBQ to get that "restaurant" quality.

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends. I have noticed something about the quality of cuts usually served. sirloin always seems way better at a restaurant. but i am usually disappointed when i order a ribeye. when i grill my own, a ribeye is always better than any restaurant steak i have had, especially when grilled with charcoal

0|0
    0|0
  • Well we bye directly from a farm coz it's a lot better and my dad know how to make them good so.. Win win. doesn't cost more than supermarkets so.. Privilege living outside the city :P

0|1
    0|0
  • They get better meat, and they know how to cook it too.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think you just don't know how to grill.

Or maybe you just live next to some world-class steak joints.

Or a shitty grocery store.

0|0
    0|0
  • because restaurants source their meat from quality cows

0|1
    0|0
  • Its the way that restaurants cook the steaks, the seasoning and oil is specially selected to bring out the best flavor in the steaks

0|0
    0|0
  • Freshly sourced meat. I worked in a big abbatoir for a while and once the livestock is slaughtered it's frozen. They pick it up in a refrigerated truck and transport it to holding freezers where, depending on demand, it can stay frozen for up to 2 years believe it or not. I'm getting this from guys who worked in the meat industry all their lives. Freezing destroys molecules in the meat due to the water content expanding then contracting as its thawed. It's supposed to be thawed in stages for best quality but it's still not as good as freshly slaughtered and straight to the plate. I was in Tunisia a couple of years ago and what you get on your plate was alive about 2 hours earlier. I swear I've never tasted meat until I tried it like that. It was fuckin delicious. Chicken soup they made as well with freshly slaughtered chickens and it was 10 outta 10. We get a bum deal in the west because of our industrial scale food processes

0|0
    0|0
  • depends on cook

0|0
    0|0
  • Restaurants will pick out better quality meat. Try a professional butcher instead of the supermarket, it will cost more but the meat is better.

0|1
    0|0
  • Resturants by higher graded meat then most supermarkets buy if you looking for a good steak go straight to a butcher shop and look for Alberta triple A beef you can also make your steak more tender my premarinating it for 24 hours in a mixture of coke and beer then heating up your bbq really hot and searing both sides or if your really fancy get high proof alcohol pour a SMALL amount on the top of your steak flip it over the bbq flame will start that on fire then do it to the other side and it will stay juicier and then bbq sauce then cook on medium heat tell it's medium rare and your done

0|2
    0|0

Recommended myTakes