Have studies shown that the underage drinking problem would actually be worse if the US drinking age was 18?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it would be much better if the age was 18. It is much better & safer for college kids to drink at a bar, rather than drink in secret behind closed doors.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• nope, the drinking age was 18 forever but they raised it to 21 over drunk driving issues, which it did nothing to improve. Comparing to other countries that have lower drinking ages, it would actually be less of a problem if we didn't restrict it as much

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 4

• I'm from the uk and the drinking ages is 18. I personally think it's better as you grow out of the whole drinking thing sooner and it prevents sneaking drinks. I think 21 is ridiculous personally. There's so much other things you can do in the USA under 21. Just seems silly especially as people drink in college. I think if it was legal it would be safer and easier to monitor as wouldn't be as much sneaking but that's just my opinion

0|1
    0|0
    • People need to at least be allowed to drink under supervision before 21. Then they'd go less crazy on their 21st

• Most of my friends are from counties other than the US. They seem to have their drinking habits under control (who knows how they were when they were first legally allowed to drink).

Anyways, the US drinking age is very unlikely to change, as the government gives each state large sums of money each year to keep the legal age at 21.

0|1
    0|0
  • The short answer is "No."

0|0
    0|0
  • Look at the history of the USA, drinking until you were 18 was legal up until the 70's do your own research

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

• I had a poll on this:

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1753357-lowering-the-usa-legal-drinking-age

Many Europeans and other foreigners find USA alcohol laws silly. However, American youth and typically driving cars much sooner than European and other foreign youth, so perhaps there is a unique need for such laws in the USA.

Should adulthood be granted in stages, rather than all at once at 18?

0|1
    0|0
  • One concern I have is that possibly 18 year olds might start sneaking alcohol to 15 year olds

0|1
    0|0
  • Not exactly sure

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes