Do you believe that sugar addiction is real?

Do you believe that a addiction to sugar is real or not?

"In fact, sugar is believed to be eight times more addictive than cocaine. Some people are more sensitive than others, but the more sugar you eat, the more likely it has taken hold of your addictive pathways and is driving you to eat — and drink — far too much.

When sugar hits the bloodstream, it stimulates release of a brain chemical called dopamine, which makes you feel good. The feeling is usually short-lived."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3673233/The-15-signs-sugar-addict.html

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Yep.

Im addicted to sugar.

Not nearly as much now, I've almost obliterated added sugars from my diet (i can't resist making my hot cuppa sweeter) but just a couple years ago i was adding table spoons of sugar to my weetbix. I was drinking at least three pepsis a day. Dare iced coffee. Insurmountable amounts of chocolate.
    I was a sugar fiend.
    Yet somehow my teeth are fine and i am shit at taking care of them.

Sugar is addictive.

If i start filling myself up on it again it will take me a long arse time to stop.
    Although there's no way im going back to the pepsis.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I believe it is nonsense.
    Shit ton of things cause dopamine to release, it does not mean that continuing what you like to do is an "addiction".
    Addiction is a biological dependency.

Some time ago I used to drink 2 liters of cola literally every day and then I have transitioned to low carb, sugar free diet overnight without any issues.
    So that "eight times more addictive than cocaine" is clearly just a bunch of hogwash or I'm "one of those people which this made up addiction does not affect at all".

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 20

• Yerp no doubt

0|1
    0|0
  • Sugar is a drug that goes through the same reward pathway as any other drug, or item that pleasures us.

Anything can be addictive.

Moderation is the key.

I believe stress is the reason for many dis-eases.

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes I believe it's very real. I know people who drink soda instead of water, and almost goes through withdrawal without it.
    Also I don't know if you're like this but I certainly am. I cannot have a single piece of candy. The same way alcoholics cannot have just one drink.
    Since I cut carbs (sugar and starches) out of my diet I don't even want sugary stuff anymore. I don't think I was addicted before, because I generally didn't eat it much, but I often had a craving for something sweet.

0|1
    0|0
  • No, I don't believe it is because when I have something that contains sugar for instance chocolate it can sometimes be too sweet for me and I don't crave me like a bar would be enough or a bit of fizzy drink would be enough I'm not dying for more.

0|1
    0|0
  • So this is one of those things like climate change where we need to stop asking people if they believe it, there's nothing to "believe", it's a fact. Facts don't become less true just because someone doesn't like them

0|1
    0|1
    • The climate is not set. For instance during Elizabeth1 reign the Thames froze over and people skated on it, that changed.

• Show All
    • @DonkeyRick69 the key thing that I'm noticing here is the fact that they even acknowledge that difference between now and then is the introduction of industrialization. we didn't have 50 years of climate tracking leading up to this, they had 10. However, we've been seeing the negative effects of climate change for about 30 years. which means two factors are off, that alone stops this from being a controlled experiment. It also fails to mention the whole entire world, and currently climate change is affecting the whole entire world.

• as real as the communism
    I bet most of the people on this comment section says they have sugar addiction but have they sniff sugar

0|1
    0|0
  • yes scientifically proven and based on my experience like when I try to just taste a cake I end up eating all. 😂

0|1
    0|0
  • I do actually. It's pretty much proven... and I have done a lot of drugs in my past, I work in a bar and can see what addictions do to people. I've been addicted to sleeping pills but shook my addiction and now I'm just addicted to sugar. I think most people have some form of addiction, whether that is accepted as an addiction or not though. But yeah I physically crave sugary drinks all the time and chocolate. It's hard to stop. And I've had cocain, speed, weed, LSD and been addicted to sleeping pills and prescription pain killers but that was easier to stop than simply stopping drinking soda.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have a severe sugar addiction, so yes.

0|1
    0|0
  • How do you think people become obese?

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes it is

0|1
    0|0
  • 100%

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes 😂 Can't imagine a life without it

0|1
    0|0
  • yes and is the unhealthiest thing for the body

0|1
    0|0
  • I do

0|1
    0|0
  • oh boy, yes its real!

0|1
    0|0
  • I do, i am addicted to it

0|1
    0|0
  • I do. I have it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I am bot cetian the term I would use is "addiction" - I am not sure it meets the medical definition of that. But people certainly can become obsessed with it and eat sugary things in incredible, compulsive excess.

0|1
    0|0
    • *not certain"

@InfoBot would be the one to ask about anything "bot cetian".

• YES. I've been on a paleo diet (nothing besides meat, fruit, vegetables and water) to drop some weight before I go back to college, and the cravings were almost unbearable the first 3 days. Couldn't go anywhere. I was literally shaking, I didn't sleep more than two hours a night, cravings were constant and intense. It's two weeks in and I'm still craving Milky Way bars like a motherfucker. I wonder if it'll ever end.

0|1
    0|0
    • It won't. Because as much as sugar can be bad for you, it IS still something we need.

• I eat mainly paleo too. It took me about 3 weeks to not crave milk and cereal anymore. Now I'm addicted to fruit and veggies pretty much lol.

@BaileyisDarcy There's new science that seems to suggest the gut bacteria may actually be what's making us want what we're used to. Those particular ones lose their influence after awhile (I think from starving).

What Guys Said 24

• really anything can be addicting if you take enough of it. your body gets conditioned to it and when you remove it you experience withdrawl. And since we add sugar to everything, your prolly addicted but you'll never notice cause you'll never escape the sugar

1|1
    0|0
  • If you can associate it with a good feeling, it can become an addiction. My house didn't have any sweets for the past 3 days, and boy, last night I had some really bad cravings.

That is part of the reason why it is so hard to eat healthy. It is not because anyone is actively opposed to it, its just that a lot of healthy food is not as sweet or savory as unhealthy ones.

0|1
    0|0
  • i'd think so. i'm no scientist though. your body gets a rush of energy and that rush can become addicting as you feel like you need that rush of energy and the body may send signals that you need it if it becomes dependent on that rush.

0|1
    0|0
  • Carbs also breakdown into sugars. Sugar is what your body runs on, especially your brain. You have to have some, but it has to be regulated by the body. If you have too much it goes into overdrive and burns it up making you crave more.

Carbs, sugar - both are equally addicting. The key is moderation, proper ratio to proteins, and exercise.

At my age I cannot consume any pure sugars - it puts me into a coma.

0|1
    0|0
  • Defenintly. I was over in America a while back and America must be completely addicted as everything had sugar in it. Everything is coated in frosting, honey, sugar or syrup. Even kids cereals are just flakes of sugar, I ate a bowl and swore I was about enter I a diabetic coma.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, just give it a try, also if you have been eating high in carbs/sugar all of your lifetimes, then your body is very inefficient burning fat for fuel, so you will feel worst because your body will be expecting sugar for fuel, and the fat store will never be tapped.

0|1
    0|0
  • companies put sugar in pretty much everything to make is want it because I've heard" our bodies are hard wired to crave it." but at the same time it's also like saying protein is carbs are an addiction. ty
    they are a fuel source for the body so protein and carbs are in the same category

0|1
    0|0
    • it would be a dependency not an addiction. they are just
      using the word addiction too make it seem scarier and get more people to read.

• When I transition from a regular diet to a strict low carb diet, my sugar craving disappears within a few days.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, sugar addiction is real indeed. The link that you have posted is a good one.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think that sugar does induce some kind of addiction but it works differently than drug addiction.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well I mean almost anything can become an addiction so I'd think so.

0|1
    0|0
  • Almost everything contains sugar but I don't find it addictive at all.

0|1
    0|0
  • 100% YES. Try to go one week without it. You can't because it is in everything.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. we are dependent on sugar to give us a certain fix

0|1
    0|0
  • yes.

0|1
    0|0
  • Curious. First time I heard of this.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. Highly addictive.