I'm against alcohol, would it be okay to drink wine?

I've always said things like "I'm never going to drink alcohol", and surely enough, I never have. I'm 15 years old and I'm thoroughly against all of that stuff. But I keep asking myself if drinking wine is any different than beer or strong drinks.

812

Most Helpful Girl

• Wine is alcoholic, so if you really are serious about never drinking alcohol, then drinking wine would be breaking that pledge. Wine might be a "finer," more "cultivated" form of alcohol, but it's still alcohol.

I suppose the question is more why you don't want to drink alcohol. If it's because you don't want to get drunk, then you're probably not going to get drunk off a single glass of wine.

Personally, I don't drink alcohol at all -- not because of any principles or anything, but because I just don't like it. I'll admit I can't stand the taste of wine at all... I find it too sour and acidic.

Most Helpful Guy

• Wine is not fundamentally different from beer and "strong drinks". All alcoholic beverages come from yeast eating sugar and pooping ethyl alcohol. The question is, where does the sugar come from? With wine, it's grape juice. With beer, it's barley malt. Various hard liquors start with different sources. Tequila is made with agave while rum is made from sugar cane, for example. What makes wine so special? (That's not rhetorical… I actually am curious why you think so.)

• Not quite sure, just seems like people who drink alcohol always make excuses for wine, saying things like "Jesus drank it so its ok" or "its just grape juice" things like that.

• I don't feel I need to make an excuse to enjoy alcoholic beverages, though I certainly don't care if someone wants to abstain. But what makes you actually *against* it? That's pretty strongly worded. Does that apply for everyone or is that personal?

I think there's good reason to think Jesus drank more than just wine, based on what he says about himself. And wine is *fermented* grape juice. Anyone who thinks it's just grape juice is kidding themselves. Or, as you say, making an excuse.