What should I do about obnoxious store vice manager?

Ok so basically I frequent my local supermarket to buy snacks and stuff and I've noticed that for over a year the vice-manager gives me these kinda dirty looks for no reason. im just browsing the isles minding my own business. im pretty sure he knows what he's doing as there have been a few instances where he's stared at me. he's making me feel unwelcome and bad about myself? I once applied for a job at said store and when he greeted me at the counter he gave me this up and down look and he clearly disapproved.

I'm not that guy but I feel this may be a race thing. (hate to pull that card)

im a regular customer and I've done nothing wrong.

what should I do?

should I confront him or should I report him to the store manager?
I also used to work at said store as a cashier during 2007-1008 when I was 14-15. lots of history here.

1317

Most Helpful Girl

• If it's genuinely bothering you I'd say something. Depending on what you feel comfortable with, either approaching the man directly and politely mentioning the situation and if there is an issue (and not passive aggressively) or emailing/calling the store manager to discuss it for him to address.
    It's not acceptable for a staff member to make customers feel unwelcome or that you're being treated differently

• its my local woollies and I gave him the benefit of the doubt for ages but this is beginning to bother me to the point I'm hesitant to visit the store!

as I said before im pretty sure he knows what he's doing

• Whether he knows or not, it's affecting you wanting to shop there so they're losing business. If he's made aware of the situation - knowing he does it or not - he can adjust his behaviour at work.

I've complained about someone at my local Coles... she's a friend of my husbands ex's mum and she would always give me that up and down look and purse her lips like she was judging me, and if I got into her queue she would completely ignore me and throw my groceries in bags which crushed/broke several things. I just emailed the store and never had an issue after that. She's not friendly but she's not an asshole, just avoids me lol

Most Helpful Guy

• I would do what feels most right for you. Personally, I would probably try to ignore him as well as I could. If it really is a race thing, there's all the more reason to ignore him and treat him like thin air. However, this might not be the right approach for you. So, if it does bother you too much to shop in peace, I would definitely confront him. Make sure to be polite and maybe a little formal in how you phrase it but make it clear to him that you do not appreciate his stares. Also, don't let yourself be pulled into any kind of argument. If he gets grumpy or loud about it, just tell him that you will contact the store management if this doesn't stop and walk away.

If it still doesn't stop, do contact the management. I think confronting him first may help because if you can say to the manager "I already told him off but he's still doing it", it gives you better cards.

Of course there is a slight chance that the manager will come up with some kind of excuse like: "He's not staring at you in particular. We just need to watch out for shoplifters." If that happens, threaten him to go shopping somewhere else. It doesn't matter how scared they are about shoplifting, they should provide a comfortable atmosphere for their customers.