What should I do about obnoxious store vice manager?

Ok so basically I frequent my local supermarket to buy snacks and stuff and I've noticed that for over a year the vice-manager gives me these kinda dirty looks for no reason. im just browsing the isles minding my own business. im pretty sure he knows what he's doing as there have been a few instances where he's stared at me. he's making me feel unwelcome and bad about myself? I once applied for a job at said store and when he greeted me at the counter he gave me this up and down look and he clearly disapproved.

I'm not that guy but I feel this may be a race thing. (hate to pull that card)

im a regular customer and I've done nothing wrong.

what should I do?

should I confront him or should I report him to the store manager?
Updates:
I also used to work at said store as a cashier during 2007-1008 when I was 14-15. lots of history here.

2|0

Most Helpful Girl

• If it's genuinely bothering you I'd say something. Depending on what you feel comfortable with, either approaching the man directly and politely mentioning the situation and if there is an issue (and not passive aggressively) or emailing/calling the store manager to discuss it for him to address.
    It's not acceptable for a staff member to make customers feel unwelcome or that you're being treated differently

0|1
    0|0
    • its my local woollies and I gave him the benefit of the doubt for ages but this is beginning to bother me to the point I'm hesitant to visit the store!

as I said before im pretty sure he knows what he's doing

• Whether he knows or not, it's affecting you wanting to shop there so they're losing business. If he's made aware of the situation - knowing he does it or not - he can adjust his behaviour at work.

I've complained about someone at my local Coles... she's a friend of my husbands ex's mum and she would always give me that up and down look and purse her lips like she was judging me, and if I got into her queue she would completely ignore me and throw my groceries in bags which crushed/broke several things. I just emailed the store and never had an issue after that. She's not friendly but she's not an asshole, just avoids me lol

Most Helpful Guy

• I would do what feels most right for you. Personally, I would probably try to ignore him as well as I could. If it really is a race thing, there's all the more reason to ignore him and treat him like thin air. However, this might not be the right approach for you. So, if it does bother you too much to shop in peace, I would definitely confront him. Make sure to be polite and maybe a little formal in how you phrase it but make it clear to him that you do not appreciate his stares. Also, don't let yourself be pulled into any kind of argument. If he gets grumpy or loud about it, just tell him that you will contact the store management if this doesn't stop and walk away.

If it still doesn't stop, do contact the management. I think confronting him first may help because if you can say to the manager "I already told him off but he's still doing it", it gives you better cards.

Of course there is a slight chance that the manager will come up with some kind of excuse like: "He's not staring at you in particular. We just need to watch out for shoplifters." If that happens, threaten him to go shopping somewhere else. It doesn't matter how scared they are about shoplifting, they should provide a comfortable atmosphere for their customers.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 12

• Definitely confront him. Better ask him to see what his problem is, otherwise he'll keep staring at you

0|1
    0|0
  • If it's to the point where you feel uncomfortable either confront him or file a complaint to the general manager. It's unacceptable for a vice manager to act that way to a customer. Are you the only one he does that to?

1|1
    0|0
    • as far as I know I am

• Show All
    • possible, I can't think of any other reason. its certainly personal for him

• Well I would say something to him or the manager then. if he got personal issues or dislikes, he needs to leave that somewhere else before he comes to work. That's unprofessional and childish

• I'd say something to him. If he says anything rude or whatever, write down what he says and report him to his manager or even go higher up than that. You've no right to be treated that way if you've never done anything wrong.

0|1
    0|0
  • If it affects you wanting to shop there put a formal complaint in to the store manager. Explain how the vice manager makes you feel, and that it's so concerning to you that you're considering taking your customer elsewhere.

I'm sure after you bring the issue to the store managers attention, you'll no longer have to put up with the vice manager making you feel so uncomfortable. The manager won't want to lose your customer

0|1
    0|0
  • Honestly, I would confront him.

Ask him what his problem is with you? I'm 100% certain he does that to other customers too.

And also stare him down too, scowl at him like you are disgusted.

0|1
    0|0
    • He may deny it and play dumb, but he's less likely to do it again if you confront him.

• why do you think he does that with other customers too?

• Because if he is behaving this way people he doesn't like, he does the same thing with others.

• I'd make a report to whomever is above him. He's making you feel unwelcome and uncomfortable.

If it were me, I would want to know the reasons for his behavior, because I might have unwittingly done something to offend or upset him, some kind of misunderstanding maybe.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would go to another store.

I get these looks too, everywhere I go. Randomly get attacked. I am pretty dark skinned and I don't look like your average woman.

There's no point in confrontation. With me it always leads to a fight.

I think its best to find another store or ignore.

Headphones help.

Sun glasses help.

0|0
    0|0
  • he sounds unprofessional
    you should confront him and ask him why tf he acts like this towards you and what's his problem with you

and if he ignores the question and keeps acting the same then report him to the manager itself

0|1
    0|0
  • igoner him of ask what's his problem if he doesn't want to tell you then you can't change his mind

0|1
    0|0
  • You can do these 3 things:
    1. Once he starts staring at you can look at him and say " Sorry bro I'm not interested in guys" :D
    2. You can ignore him, that's wht I do when I want to make a person feel that he's not even worth of my attention :D
    He looks at you because he wants you to notice, so make him feel dissapointed and ignore.
    3. Tell him you notice he looks at you in a way you dislike and ask him if he has any problem he can say, instead of just looking from the far.
    He will refuse of course and that's exactly what you want because he will start acting in a different way to prove you you were wrong he will stop staring you in this way.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would ignore him

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 16

• I think you should walk up to the guy and say, "I've been a loyal customer here and I enjoy shopping here but the way you look at me makes me feel like I am not welcome here. Do you want me to take my business somewhere else?"

0|1
    0|0
    • what should I say based on his hypothetical responses?

• If he says you should take your business elsewhere, then you should address that with the store manager, who will obviously be displeased with the assistant telling you to go patronize the competition.

If he says you should not tale your business elsewhere, then you can say that you hope he will make you feel more welcome in the future.

• I know that nowadays "pulling the race card" is seen as a cheap shot but sonetimes it is justified to question whether something might be a "race issue" in a his case based on how he scanned you from head to toe, it seems that he either might not like how you look or that it might in fact have to do with race.

I personally wouldn't apply for a job where I feel unwelcomed by the managers because I know that I'll be too tense working there.

I'm curious, what's your ethnic background?

0|1
    0|0
    • mixed Indian and white Australian (irish/English) I have light/medium brown skin.

any advice on how I should proceed?

• If he's just the vice manager then yes try mention his unusual behavior to the store manager if you decide to work there. I've heard that xenophobia still seems to be a problem in Australia so I wouldn't be surprised if your ethnic background is why he seems rude.

• the job application was months ago and nothing came of it (due to me, not him)

thanks for your input

• was the vice manager there when you worked at the store?

it may be an issue you bring up to the manager's supervisors since as a shopper you shouldn't be made to feel uncomfortable

0|1
    0|0
  • Technically, someone giving you a dirty look is not illegal. I will say just ignore him. Until that manager starts verbally harassing you, then I would report it to the store manager.

0|1
    0|0
    • never said it was illegal but its certainly unprofessional

• You could just let the store manager know that the vice manager is making you uncomfortable and you won't shop there again and you will encourage others to not shop there either.

• Just ignore him. You can't report someone for not liking you xD

If he says something rude to you then you can think about doing something about it.

0|1
    0|0
    • he's staring at me for no reason

• Show All
    • If you really wanna do something about it I guess next time you notice him staring you could just go and ask him what's up. I reckon he'll just deny it though, sounds like a real prick.
      Sorry dude i don't know what you can do unless he actually says something to you.

Good luck though. Hope you figure it out.

• thanks anyways man

• Ask him what his problem is. He'll probably deny any problem. Then tell him if he keeps looking at you as if you're dirt, you'll give him a real reason to feel that way.

0|1
    0|0
  • Ignore him. He's not worth your time and energy.
    Got to a different store.

Eventually he'll leave. Nothing lasts forever.

0|1
    0|0
  • Just keep going to the store. They can't not sell you anything.

Or you could hire a hooker to say he groped her...

0|1
    0|0
  • are you looking for a fight I think not just ignore him if he doesn't confirm you this will get them doesn't exist only in your head he give it to him too much rent in your head victim him

0|0
    0|1
  • I'd be inclined to talk to the manager. What he is doing is far from professional.

0|1
    0|0
  • ignore him
    if he keeps bothering you talk to the store manager

0|1
    0|0
  • why do you think it is race thing?

0|1
    0|0
  • Just confront him and ask him what his problem is.

0|1
    0|0
  • Confront him publically in the store

0|1
    0|0
  • dude its really simple, just ignore him.

0|1
    0|0
  • Were you a bad employee?

0|0
    0|1

Recommended myTakes